Mechanics: Friction - 200kg Bag Winched up 10m Slope at 6°

In summary, the bag of sand moved an approximate distance of 37.4m when its speed was reduced to 1.5m/s.
Shah 72
MHB
A bag of sand of mass 200kg is being winched up a slope of length 10m which is at an angle of 6 degree to the horizontal. The slope is rough and the coefficient of friction is 0.4. The winch provides a force of 1000N parallel to the slope. At the bottom of the slope the bag is moving at 2 m/s. Find the distance it has moved when it's speed has reduced to 1.5m/s
R=2000cos6= 1989N
F=1000-(0.4×1989+2000sin6),
By using F=m×a, I get a=-0.023m/s^2
V^2=u^2+2as, u=2m/s, s=10m, I get v=1.88m/s.
Now for u=1.88 and v=1.5 and using the same v^2= u^2+2as, I get s=27.9. So total distance will be 37.9. But the textbook ans is 37.4m. Pls advise if my ans is correct

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$W_{net} = \Delta KE = \dfrac{1}{2}m(v_f^2-v_0^2) = F_{net} \cdot \Delta x \implies \Delta x = \dfrac{\Delta KE}{F_{net}}$

$F_{net} = 1000 - mg(\sin{\theta} + \mu \cos{\theta})$

I agree with the text solution ...

skeeter said:
$W_{net} = \Delta KE = \dfrac{1}{2}m(v_f^2-v_0^2) = F_{net} \cdot \Delta x \implies \Delta x = \dfrac{\Delta KE}{F_{net}}$

$F_{net} = 1000 - mg(\sin{\theta} + \mu \cos{\theta})$

I agree with the text solution ...
I haven't still done the chapter of KE. So I don't know to apply the formula. If you can pls pls advise using the coefficient of friction and Newtons law.
Thank you so much!

$a = 5 - g(\sin{\theta} + \mu \cos{\theta})$

$\Delta x = \dfrac{v_f^2 - v_0^2}{2a}$

try again ...

skeeter said:

try again ...
Sure I will try. Thanks a lotttt!

skeeter said:

try again ...
m=200kg, s=10m, coefficient of friction =0.4 and initial velocity =2m/s
By using Newtons law
F=m×a
1000-[0.4x2000cos 6+2000sin6) =200a
a=-0.023m/s^2. Iam not getting the ans. If you can pls pls help.

skeeter said:

try again ...
I tried and I got the ans. Thank you!

A bag of sand of mass 200kg is being winched up a slope of length 10m which is at an angle of 6 degree to the horizontal. The slope is rough and the coefficient of friction is 0.4. The winch provides a force of 1000N parallel to the slope. At the bottom of the slope the bag is moving at 2 m/s. Find the distance it has moved when it's speed has reduced to 1.5m/s

Maybe that 10m "length" should be height? Otherwise, the given solution makes no sense.

skeeter said:
Maybe that 10m "length" should be height? Otherwise, the given solution makes no sense.
Thanks I got it. Thank you!

1. How does the weight of the bag affect the friction on the slope?

The weight of the bag does not affect the friction on the slope. Friction is primarily determined by the roughness of the surfaces in contact and the normal force between them.

2. How does the angle of the slope affect the friction on the bag?

The angle of the slope does affect the friction on the bag. As the angle increases, the force of friction also increases. This is because the weight of the bag is distributed more vertically, increasing the normal force and therefore the friction force.

3. How does the winching mechanism affect the friction on the bag?

The winching mechanism does not directly affect the friction on the bag. However, it does affect the motion of the bag and can potentially increase or decrease the friction force depending on the direction and speed of the winching.

4. Is there a maximum weight that the winching mechanism can handle on the slope?

Yes, there is a maximum weight that the winching mechanism can handle on the slope. This depends on the strength and capabilities of the winching mechanism, as well as the angle and roughness of the slope. It is important to carefully consider these factors when determining the maximum weight for the winching mechanism.

5. How does the coefficient of friction between the bag and the slope affect the winching process?

The coefficient of friction between the bag and the slope affects the winching process by determining the amount of friction force that will act on the bag. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater friction force, making it more difficult to winch the bag up the slope. This can also affect the amount of power and energy needed for the winching process.