Year 12: Cambridge Physics (Calculus in Specific heat capacity)

In summary, the specific heat capacity of silver varies with temperature according to the equation c/J/kg/K = 1.5x10^-4(T/K)^3 + 6.0x10^-3 T/K. A small silver sphere with a diameter of 4am and at 20K is placed in 25g of liquid helium at 4K. With the density of silver being 1.05E4 kg/m^3 and the specific latent heat of vaporisation of helium being 2.1E4 J/kg, the boiling point of helium being 4K, the fraction of the liquid that will evaporate is 1/210. The mistake may have been not considering the combined effect of the silver
johnconnor
Below 20K, The specific heat capacity c of silver varies with temperature according to the equation[tex]c/\text{J /kg /K} = 1.5x10^{-4}(T/K)^3 + 6.0x10^{-3} T/K[/tex].
If a small silver sphere of diameter 4am and at 20K is placed in 25g of liquid helium at 4K, what fraction of the liquid will evaporate?
[Density of silver = 1.05E4 kg/m^3, specific latent heat of vaporisation of helium = 2.1E4 J/kg; boiling point of helium = 4K]

[expand=Attempt]
DSC02994.jpg

DSC02995.jpg

DSC02996.jpg

DSC02997.jpg
[/expand]
And I'm stuck. The answer is 1/210. I think my mistake is not considering the "combined effect" (if there's one?) of the silver sphere with the helium liquid, but I'm not very sure how do I express that in mathematical form.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved.

Related to Year 12: Cambridge Physics (Calculus in Specific heat capacity)

1. What is the specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat capacity related to calculus?

Specific heat capacity is related to calculus because it involves the use of integration to calculate the heat energy absorbed or released by a substance when its temperature changes.

3. What is the formula for specific heat capacity?

The formula for specific heat capacity is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How is specific heat capacity measured in experiments?

Specific heat capacity can be measured in experiments by using a calorimeter. The substance is heated or cooled and the change in temperature is recorded. The heat energy is then calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, and the specific heat capacity is determined.

5. How does specific heat capacity affect the behavior of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance affects how it responds to changes in temperature. Substances with a higher specific heat capacity require more energy to change their temperature compared to substances with a lower specific heat capacity. This is why substances like water are used to regulate temperature in many systems.