Will One Red Paperclip Be Traded for a House?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, Kyle MacDonald started out with one red paperclip on July 12th, 2005 and is now trying to trade one for a house. He went on television and got a lot of publicity, so he is not just trading for the previous item, but for publicity too.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/
My name is Kyle MacDonald and I am trying to trade one red paperclip for a house. I started with one red paperclip on July 12th, 2005 and I am making a series of trades for bigger or better things. My current item up for trade is one year in Phoenix.

Think he'll get that house?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Wow a really good cross dresser?

I see no reason why he can't work his way up to a house. When my son was 12 he started out with a beat up AM radio, and ended up with a camper which he sold at 14 for 1,200 dollars.

DaveC426913 said:
In a rather astonishing coincdence, one Kyle MacDonald is also the CEO of a London ON company called Phoenix Interactive. :bugeye:

I know. I worked there for two years.

http://www.phoenix-interactive.com/who/leadership.html

And built their website.

That is a rather odd coinkidink! No paper clip connection, though.

hypatia said:
I see no reason why he can't work his way up to a house. When my son was 12 he started out with a beat up AM radio, and ended up with a camper which he sold at 14 for 1,200 dollars.
That's wonderful. I really need to learn how to barter!

Math Is Hard said:
Think he'll get that house?
Sure. People will trade anything just to get their picture on someone else's website.

Math Is Hard said:
That is a rather odd coinkidink! No paper clip connection, though.
What? She has a whole box of them in her drawer!

:wink:

It's kind of cheating though.

He went on television and everything, so the publicity is HUGE. Therefore, you aren't just trading for just the previous item, but for publicity too.

One time in high school I started with a penny and ended up with a dime.

dav2008 said:
One time in high school I started with a penny and ended up with a dime.
One time in high school, I found a dime ! :biggrin:

This Kyle guy looks a good bit like Hyp, wot ?

man, i could use a year of rent in phoenix. I'm moving in 6 weeks and i technically have no place to live... course, i have nothing to offer. unless he wants... ... ... a hug? that's about all I've got. heh.

i should work on my bartering skills too. wonder if i can get free college tuition.. that would also be very nice..

This is amazing! What an inspired idea.

i read through that site, i can't believe the stuff people gave him. like, he got way better stuff than he was offering. even that fish pen... a pen is worth way more than a paper clip. he's only even made 10 trades. it'd be more impressive if he'd really worked for it...

...ok, yeah, I'm a little jealous. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of something worth a year of rent... if only i had like a nice car or an expensive guitar or something. yeah, i totally have nothing worth a couple thousand dollars. awell. i'll have to find an appt the old fashioned way.

Does anyone want a paper clip? I'll trade you. :-p

I'll offer half a paper clip for that paper clip.

i have an idea, who has something worth an years rent in arizona that they'd be willing to give up? yeah, and then, you tell me what you do want, and i'll find someone who has that and will give me something for it... and i can keep doing that until someone wants something i have.. its perfect!

now i can live in arizona and i don't have to worry about moving without a place to live or a job!

I'll offer you a sheet of paper for the paperclip. :rolleyes: Wait, if I give you the paper, I won't need the paperclip anymore.

When I first saw that guy's site, I thought the same thing as JasonRox, that he's not really trading just the stuff, but the publicity too.

Related to Will One Red Paperclip Be Traded for a House?

What is "One Red Paper Clip"?

"One Red Paper Clip" is a famous social experiment that started in 2005 by Canadian blogger Kyle MacDonald. He traded a red paper clip for a series of items until he eventually ended up with a house in Saskatchewan, Canada.

Why did Kyle MacDonald start this experiment?

Kyle MacDonald was inspired by a childhood game called "Bigger and Better" where players have to trade a small item for something bigger or better. He wanted to see if he could trade his way up to something significant, like a house.

How long did it take for Kyle to trade a red paper clip for a house?

It took Kyle MacDonald one year and 14 trades to go from a red paper clip to a house. He started with the paper clip on July 12, 2005 and made his final trade for the house on July 12, 2006.

What were some of the items Kyle traded for?

Some of the items Kyle traded for include a fish-shaped pen, a doorknob with a face on it, a camping stove, a snowmobile, and a recording contract. You can see the full list of trades on his blog, oneredpaperclip.com.

What is the significance of "One Red Paper Clip" in the scientific community?

Although it may not seem like a traditional scientific experiment, "One Red Paper Clip" has been studied and analyzed by sociologists and economists. It has also sparked discussions about the power of social media and the internet in making connections and facilitating trades. Some have even used it as a teaching tool in classrooms to demonstrate the concept of bartering and the value of networking.