How did early scientists conduct experiments without modern resources?

• Thread starter rejuice
  • Start date
In summary, early scientists collected data through observation and manual recording, using tools like rulers and thermometers. They controlled variables in their experiments through controlled and natural experiments, and tested their hypotheses with simple experiments and observations. Collaboration played a significant role in early scientific experiments, as scientists shared knowledge and resources and replicated each other's work. To ensure accuracy and reliability, early scientists used repetition and peer review of their results.
rejuice
How did you find PF?
search engines like duckduckgo
Hi everyone, I graduated in chemistry some years back and am trying to get back into it (hence the username). I've found myself appreciating older textbooks more than newer ones - the concepts are presented without the fluff and there's more hands-on experimenting with the real stuff, not just analogous examples with boring things like paper and marshmallows. But science is expensive and we don't have local chemists anymore. You sadly have to figure out ingredients of store items by looking them up online since they hide the actual contents on the label. "Nobody cares about our trade secrets" seems to be the thought. Enough ranting.

I've been really trying to dig into the old experiments, figuring out how the original scientists managed to figure this stuff out with very little background info. It's cool to read. I'd like to find more of that.

I'm a big fan of rocketry, and I've done some of it in the past.

It seems I just have a jinx - none of my apparati built-from-scratch work, especially electrical, even the simple things like trying to conduct static electricity down a thread.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
rejuice said:
none of my apparati built-from-scratch work, especially electrical, even the simple things like trying to conduct static electricity down a thread.
I would think you need thread that is a reasonably good conductor of electricity. Maybe if the thread was soaked in a slightly acidic solution, say vinegar, your apparatus might work.

Anyway, welcome to Physics Forums, or PF for short.

Likes rejuice
Yes, welcome to PF.

Try the PF search tool. We have many threads that talked about science history.

Likes rejuice
rejuice said:
How did you find PF?: search engines like duckduckgo

none of my apparati built-from-scratch work, especially electrical, even the simple things like trying to conduct static electricity down a thread.
Sounds like I'll be seeing you in the EE and DIY forums a lot. Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Likes rejuice
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Mark44 said:
I would think you need thread that is a reasonably good conductor of electricity. Maybe if the thread was soaked in a slightly acidic solution, say vinegar, your apparatus might work.

Good suggestion.
I did manage to figure out the other day I wasn't generating enough static in the first place... Maybe that would help. XD
I'll have to remember to try out your suggestion, so thank you!

Something else I thought of, besides wetting the thread, is to coat the thread with graphite dust (pencil "lead").

True. Good suggestion. I had read about why carbon nanotubes conduct, but it hadn't dawned on me graphite would be the same until I saw in an old book pencil leads being used as conductors for electrolysis of water. Bizarre. Hm... Is it possible then to draw your own electrical circuit and have it "work" (albeit perhaps poorly)?

I was hoping, though, to see static be conducted by an insulator, like supposedly old experimental records claim (at least the ones I read).

Related to How did early scientists conduct experiments without modern resources?

1. How did early scientists collect data without advanced technology?

Early scientists relied on observation and manual recording of data. They would use tools such as rulers, thermometers, and balances to measure and record their observations.

2. What methods did early scientists use to control variables in their experiments?

Early scientists used controlled experiments, where they would manipulate one variable at a time and keep all other variables constant. They would also use natural experiments, where they would observe and compare different groups or environments.

3. How did early scientists test their hypotheses without sophisticated equipment?

Early scientists used simple experiments and observations to test their hypotheses. They would often use natural phenomena or create their own controlled environments to gather evidence to support or refute their hypotheses.

4. What role did collaboration play in early scientific experiments?

Early scientists often collaborated with each other to share knowledge, resources, and ideas. They would also replicate each other's experiments to validate their findings and build upon existing knowledge.

5. How did early scientists ensure the accuracy and reliability of their results?

Early scientists used repetition and peer review to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their results. They would repeat their experiments multiple times to reduce errors and have their findings reviewed by other scientists in the field.