Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Will Be on Sabbatical from MHB until June

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
To the MHB Community,

As of late, you may have been aware of my absence and such from MHB. I'm currently under a lot of stress due to school work and have been for the last few months. Just recently, I was placed on academic probation at my university and am on the verge of being kicked out of the Ph.D. program if I don't pass my preliminary exams in June. This alone is overwhelming me because I'm currently trying to learn 9 months worth of material in three completely different subject areas by the beginning of June, which is quite the Herculean task. On top of that, I'm currently busy acting as the head TA of a calculus class and I put all my extra time into that because I care for my students. With that said, I'm saddened to say that these things take up most of my time nowadays and leave me with little to no time to help out with MHB.

Jameson and I recently had a conversation about where to go from here, and we agreed that it would be best for me to take some time off to focus on my studies so that when June comes around, I can come back into the fold on a more regular basis and do the things I would have done if I wasn't so stressed out.

With that said, I will be taking an official leave of absence (or as we're calling it, a sabbatical) until I take my exams in June. During this time period, I will not have any obligations to MHB except for keeping up with the weekly POTWs as I have been doing. Will I be around during this time period? Yes, most certainly but when I have the time; I will also be making posts and such, but I'll be more in the background as you guys take the reins and charge ahead. I will still partake in discussions about how to improve the site and such, and even work on a project or two that will benefit the site.

Again, I never really wanted things to go this way, but in the end, I have to own up to it and be honest about it. I hope that I'll still find time to make it back here and I hope that we'll all keep in touch as I step down for a while. But when I do make my official return in June, I'll be back for good; so until then, I hope you guys keep improving MHB and make it the best math site out there!

Best,

Chris L T521

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Good luck with (The comprehensive exam ) ... :)

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
We'll see you in June, after a successful semester.

P.S. Theorem. Avoiding stress improves both productivity and welfare.

Proof: Hint: Use vital induction. $\qquad \square$

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
It's not easy to temporarily step down from an awesome project such as MHB, so I commend Chris on being able to do what he needs to for his studies and trusting that MHB will be in good hands until he's able to return. Chris' knowledge and skills are a great asset to MHB and I'm excited for when he will have the free time again to put into projects, like I know he wants to.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Good luck with your studies, Chris!

Your contributions here are invaluable, and I look forward to your return full time. I want to thank you for your part in the POTW, and I am happy to hear that you will continue this, as the POTW is a great feature for this site, and knowing it will continue like clockwork as it has, is very nice to know!