Is time real (in a physical sense)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and whether it is a physical quantity or a descriptive term for dynamic processes. The idea of time travel is also brought up and the potential implications of it. The participants also touch on the topic of time as a field and its relationship with velocity. The conversation highlights the complexity and ongoing discussions surrounding the concept of time.
dendros
As in, is it a physical quantity/parameter like mass or is it a descriptive name that we give to the flow of dynamic processes?

This is not a theory or idea, just a question that I feel compelled to ask after reading an article that claims that a study shows that time travel would be possible under certain circumstances although it would not be possible to change the present by traveling in the past.

And I feel compelled to ask this because if time is not a physical quantity but a label for describing dynamic processes then traveling in the past, for example, would mean basically reversing all physical processes to a previous state, like a previous snapshot of the physical reality including reviving dead persons that were alive in the past (but not in present) and so on. And not only this but also the entire Universe must revert to a previous state for time travel in the past to be possible.

I hope I didn't break any rules by asking this, I'm really curious about that.

Physics news on Phys.org
[Moved to other physics]
dendros said:
As in, is it a physical quantity/parameter like mass or is it a descriptive name that we give to the flow of dynamic processes?
Use of the word "real" here is problematic to me, because why shouldn't what happens to an object be real? But yes, time is part of the description of what happens to an object, not an inherent parameter of the object itself. Like velocity or location/displacement.

Then I should clarify: by "real" I was asking if time is a physical "object" like a field, body, etc or a just a description. If it's just a description then time travel would imply what I described in the OP but of course I'm not sure so that's why I opened this topic.

dendros said:

Time is a physical quantity measured by clocks in SI units seconds.

Time also describes interval between events, duration and sequence of events.

Thus, your question exposes no dichotomy but does illustrate the fascinating nature of the subject. Humans appear to experience time and can directly measure interval by monitoring our heartbeats, close to a second apart.

Time fields, time flow and the "arrow of time" metaphor remain sources of lively discussion. (Search PF threads with these keywords, if interested.) Presumably one could employ a mathematics that treats time as a field. Difficult to avoid circularity defining a realistic time flow, given the definition of velocity mentioned in an earlier post.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur

1. Is time a physical entity?

Time is not considered a physical entity in the traditional sense. It is not something that can be seen or touched, but rather a concept used to measure the duration of events and the intervals between them.

2. Can time be measured objectively?

Yes, time can be measured objectively using scientific methods and tools such as clocks and atomic clocks. These measurements are based on the regular and predictable motion of objects in the universe.

3. Is time a fundamental property of the universe?

This is a debated topic among scientists. Some theories suggest that time is a fundamental property of the universe, while others propose that it is an emergent property that arises from the interactions of other fundamental forces.

4. Does time flow in a linear direction?

The concept of time flowing in a linear direction is a human construct. In reality, time may be more accurately described as a dimension that can be experienced in different ways depending on one's perspective and location in the universe.

5. Can time be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that time can be manipulated or controlled. However, some theories propose the existence of phenomena such as time dilation and time travel, which could potentially manipulate the perception and experience of time.