Why Is Resultant Wave Energy Proportional to Amplitude Difference?

In summary: If not, then the resultant amplitude would depend on the phasing and cannot be determined by simply adding the two amplitudes. In summary, the energy transferred per second by a progressive wave is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. When two waves with different amplitudes superpose, the energy per second transferred by the resultant wave is directly proportional to the difference of the amplitudes. This is because intensity, which is related to energy transfer, is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude. However, this is not the case for power, which is not a linear operation. Additionally, the phasing of the two waves also affects the resultant amplitude and must be taken into consideration. Therefore, the ans should be intensity is proportional to
somecelxis

Homework Statement

The energy transferred per second by a progressive waves is directly proportional to the square of amplitude . If two different amplitude waves superpose , the energy per second transferred by the resulatant waves us direcly proportional to (ANS: the diffrence of amplitude)

why the ans shouldn't be sum of amplitude?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in my opinion , when 2 waves superposed , the resultant intensity is I1 +I2 ...but intensity is directly proportional to amplitude square , so the resultant amplitude should be sqrt root of ( (I1)^2 + (I1)^2 )

Physics news on Phys.org
Superposition principle isn't valid for power (energy per second transferred), for it is not a linear operation.

First, the given answer as well as your answer, are wrong.

Second, the energy transferred per unit time depends on the phasing of the two waves.

Third, if the phase happens to be zero the intensity is proportional to the square of the sum of the two amplitudes.

Of course it dependes on phase, and let's assume they are in phase with the purpose of understanding his question, and not adding more questions to the initial problem. Your third claim doesn't contradict my answer, though...

cwasdqwe said:
Of course it dependes on phase, and let's assume they are in phase with the purpose of understanding his question, and not adding more questions to the initial problem. Your third claim doesn't contradict my answer, though...

I was addressing the OP, not you. Should have made that clearer.

It's ok, I did misunderstand it too. My excuses.

so the ans should be intensity is proportional to the square of the sum of the two amplitudes
?

somecelxis said:
so the ans should be intensity is proportional to the square of the sum of the two amplitudes
?

Yes, if they're in phase.

Likes 1 person

Related to Why Is Resultant Wave Energy Proportional to Amplitude Difference?

1. What is the amplitude of a resultant wave?

The amplitude of a resultant wave is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of the intensity or strength of the wave.

2. How is the amplitude of a resultant wave calculated?

The amplitude of a resultant wave is calculated by measuring the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. This can be done by measuring the distance from the highest point of the wave to its baseline.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of a resultant wave?

The amplitude of a resultant wave can be affected by factors such as the amplitude of the individual waves that are combining to create the resultant wave, the frequency of the waves, and any interference or damping effects.

4. How does the amplitude of a resultant wave affect the energy of the wave?

The amplitude of a resultant wave is directly proportional to the energy of the wave. A higher amplitude means a higher energy wave, while a lower amplitude means a lower energy wave.

5. Can the amplitude of a resultant wave be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of a resultant wave can be negative. This occurs when two waves with opposite amplitudes combine and cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a negative amplitude.