Resultant amplitude for waves of different frequencies?

In summary, the resultant amplitude for waves of different frequencies is the combined amplitude of two or more waves with different frequencies. It is calculated by adding the individual amplitudes of each wave at a given point in time, either graphically or mathematically. The frequency of a wave does affect its amplitude, generally causing a decrease as frequency increases. However, waves with different frequencies can have the same resultant amplitude if their individual amplitudes have opposite signs. The phase difference between waves can also affect the resultant amplitude, with in-phase waves resulting in a sum of individual amplitudes and out-of-phase waves resulting in a reduced or cancelled out amplitude.
mintkints

Homework Statement

Two superimposing waves are represented by equations
y1= 2sin 2π(10t – 0.4x)

y2= 4sin 2π(20t – 0.8x)

Find the ratio of Imax and Imin. Ans is (25:9)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that intensity is proportional to the square of amplitude and

maximum amplitude = a1 + a2

minimum amplitude = a1 - a2

but these equations are only applicable for waves with same frequency. so how do I proceed ? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mintkints said:
how do I proceed ?
Consider some fixed point x along the wave. How would you find the net amplitude at that point?

Related to Resultant amplitude for waves of different frequencies?

1. What is the resultant amplitude for waves of different frequencies?

The resultant amplitude for waves of different frequencies is the combined amplitude of two or more waves with different frequencies. It is the sum of the individual amplitudes of each wave at a given point in time.

2. How is the resultant amplitude calculated?

The resultant amplitude is calculated by adding the individual amplitudes of each wave at a given point in time. This can be done graphically by adding the amplitudes of the waves on a graph, or mathematically by using the formula A = √(A₁² + A₂² + ...), where A is the resultant amplitude and A₁, A₂, etc. are the individual amplitudes.

3. Does the frequency of a wave affect its amplitude?

Yes, the frequency of a wave does affect its amplitude. Generally, as the frequency of a wave increases, its amplitude decreases. This is because the energy of a wave is spread out over a shorter distance as its frequency increases, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

4. Can waves with different frequencies have the same resultant amplitude?

Yes, waves with different frequencies can have the same resultant amplitude. This can occur when the individual amplitudes of the waves are equal but have opposite signs (one is positive, the other is negative), resulting in a net amplitude of zero.

5. How does the phase difference between waves affect the resultant amplitude?

The phase difference between waves can affect the resultant amplitude in different ways. If the waves are in phase (i.e. their crests and troughs align), the resultant amplitude will be the sum of the individual amplitudes. However, if the waves are out of phase (i.e. their crests and troughs do not align), the resultant amplitude will be reduced or even canceled out depending on the degree of phase difference.