How is the amplitude of a wave related to the slit width?

In summary, the amplitude of a wave passing through a slit is directly proportional to the width of the slit. This is because the amplitude is obtained by dividing the slit into a large number of equal segments, with each segment contributing proportionally to the overall amplitude. Therefore, when the slit width is increased, the amplitude also increases, and vice versa. Additionally, this relationship is consistent with the equation for intensity, which states that intensity is proportional to the square of the amplitude.
Faiq

Homework Statement

How is the amplitude of a wave affected if the slit separation remains same but slit width is
1.)Increased?
2.)Decreased?
and why?

Homework Equations

Intensity is proportional to the square of amplitude

The Attempt at a Solution

I consider the amplitude as allowed "fatness" of a wave. The more slit width there is, the more wave can be "fat" and so it will have a greater amplitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you wrote intensity is proportional to the square of amplitude.
Do you know the relation between intensity of wave and the width of slits?
The intensity of light due to a slit (source of light) is directly proportional to width of the slit.
Therefore if the two slits ##S_1## & ##S_2## have widths ##W_1## & ##W_2## respectively and ##I_1## & ##I_2## are intensities of light waves having amplitude ##a_1## and ##a_2## from respective slits then,

##\frac{I_1}{1_2}## ∝ ##\frac{a_1^2}{a_2^2}## ∝ ##\frac{W_1}{W_2}##

Yes, I know that. I am asking why does the amplitude increases with increasing slit width

Faiq said:
Yes, I know that. I am asking why does the amplitude increases with increasing slit width
In single slit diffraction calculations, the resultant amplitude is obtained by dividing the slit width into a large number of equal segments. For each segment, the amplitude is taken proportionally equal and the resultant amplitude is found by superposition of amplitudes of all the segments at the point of consideration.
So amplitude should be proportional to slit width.

diffraction.png

Can you see division of the slit width into a large number of equal segments?

Was my answer helpful?

Then (amplitude)^2 is proportional to slit width or it is amplitude proportional to slit width??

The amplitude of the wave passing through a slit is directly proportional to its width. If the slit width is x and amplitude of the wave is A, then A ∝ x.

HI @ube. For information, you are replying to a very old (April 2016) thread.

Note, the original question is unclear/incomplete. The Homework Statement refers to 'slit separation' - I would guess the question is actually about the intensity of the central maximum in a Young's double slit experiment.

If you have your own question, your best bet is to post a new thread and include your own attempt/reasoning at the answer.

Edit - typo' corrected.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to How is the amplitude of a wave related to the slit width?

1. What is the definition of amplitude in relation to a wave?

Amplitude is the measure of the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position of a wave. It is usually represented by the height of the wave from the center line to the crest or trough.

2. How does the amplitude of a wave change with different slit widths?

The amplitude of a wave is not affected by the slit width. The amplitude remains constant regardless of the width of the slit.

3. Is there a direct relationship between the amplitude of a wave and the slit width?

No, there is no direct relationship between the amplitude of a wave and the slit width. The amplitude is determined by the source of the wave and is not affected by the width of the slit.

4. Can the amplitude of a wave be controlled by changing the slit width?

No, the amplitude of a wave cannot be controlled by changing the slit width. The amplitude is a characteristic of the wave itself and cannot be adjusted by external factors such as the slit width.

5. How does the amplitude of a wave affect the diffraction pattern produced by a narrow slit?

The amplitude of a wave does not affect the diffraction pattern produced by a narrow slit. The diffraction pattern is primarily influenced by the wavelength of the wave and the width of the slit, not the amplitude.