Why do wrecking balls amplify damage done?

In summary, a wrecking ball is commonly used to destroy old buildings by utilizing the kinetic and gravitational potential energy of a large pendulum. This is more efficient than using a motor, which only has kinetic energy. For smaller buildings, direct mechanical action may be used, while for larger and stronger structures, a wrecking ball or explosives are more effective. The peak force generated by a 1 ton ball moving at 15 ft per second and stopping within 1 inch is approximately 90,000 lbs, making it difficult to apply this force many stories up with the machines we have.
tahayassen

Homework Statement

A wrecking ball is commonly used to destroy old buildings. The energy comes from a motor pulling a large pendulum back, which then allows it to swing against a wall. Why not just use the motor to do the same work on the wall?

2. The attempt at a solution

The kinetic energy AND the gravitational potential energy is used to break the wall with a pendulum whereas a motor will only have kinetic energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
For small buildings direct mechanical action is used, see,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9FP7Y2Ig1Y&feature=related

For large and stronger structures use the ball or explosives, see,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJkdYuzViqo&feature=related

Calculate the peak force generated when a 1 ton ball moving at 15 ft per second stops within 1 inch. If I did it right I get about 90,000 lbs. force concentrated over a relatively small area. It would be difficult to apply such a force many stories up with machines we have.

Spinnor said:
For small buildings direct mechanical action is used, see,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9FP7Y2Ig1Y&feature=related

For large and stronger structures use the ball or explosives, see,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJkdYuzViqo&feature=related

Calculate the peak force generated when a 1 ton ball moving at 15 ft per second stops within 1 inch. If I did it right I get about 90,000 lbs. force concentrated over a relatively small area. It would be difficult to apply such a force many stories up with machines we have.

I thought force is mass times acceleration - not mass times speed.

edit: Never mind. I get it now. Thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Why do wrecking balls amplify damage done?

1. Why do wrecking balls cause more damage than other demolition methods?

Wrecking balls are able to cause more damage than other demolition methods because of their high impact force. When the ball swings and collides with a building, the kinetic energy is transferred to the structure, causing it to weaken and eventually collapse.

2. How does the size of the wrecking ball affect the damage it can cause?

The size of the wrecking ball plays a crucial role in the amount of damage it can cause. A larger wrecking ball has more mass and therefore more kinetic energy when it swings, resulting in a more powerful impact and greater damage to the structure.

3. Can wrecking balls be controlled to cause specific damage?

Yes, wrecking balls can be controlled to cause specific damage. The crane operator can adjust the trajectory and force of the swing to target specific areas of the building. This allows for precise demolition and minimizes collateral damage.

4. Why do wrecking balls often have a wrecking ball attached to them?

Wrecking balls are often attached to cranes or other machinery to provide stability and control during the demolition process. The attached wrecking ball helps to guide the swing and ensures that it hits the intended target with maximum force.

5. Are there any risks associated with using wrecking balls for demolition?

Yes, there are risks associated with using wrecking balls for demolition. If not properly controlled, the wrecking ball can cause damage to surrounding structures or injure workers. It is important to have experienced and trained professionals operating the machinery to minimize these risks.