Ball Doing a Loop Min Kin Energy: Find Angle θ

In summary, the ball has to have a minimum kinetic energy of ##E_{\text{kin, min}}=\frac{27}{10}mgR## in order to complete a full loop in the cylinder. If the kinetic energy is 10% less, the ball will lose contact to the wall and the angle at which this will happen will be ##\theta##.
Cepterus

Homework Statement

A ball with radius ##r## is inside a hollow cylinder with radius ##r+R##.
mk7hulja.png

In the first part of the assignment, one has to calculate the minimum kinetic energy the ball has to have at the bottom in order to complete a full loop in the cylinder. It turns out to be ##E_{\text{kin, min}}=\frac{27}{10}mgR##.

Now we suppose the kinetic energy of the ball is 10% less than needed to do the loop. We want to compute the angle ##\theta## at which the ball will lose contact to the wall of the cylinder, using the angle ##\alpha = \pi-\theta##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to calculate the speed ##v(\alpha)## the ball has for a given angle ##\alpha##. Then I would calculate the vertical component of the centripetal acceleration and equate it with the gravitational acceleration:
\begin{align*}
E_{\text{tot}}& = E_{\text{kin}}+E_{\text{rot}}+E_{\text{pot}} \\
& = \frac12mv(\alpha)^2+\frac12 I\omega(\alpha)^2+mgh\\
&=\frac12mv(\alpha)^2+\frac12 I\left(\frac{v(\alpha)}{r}\right)^2+mg(R+R\cos\alpha)\\
&=\frac12mv(\alpha)^2+\frac12 \cdot\frac25mr^2\left(\frac{v(\alpha)}{r}\right)^2+mgR(1+\cos\alpha)\\
&=\frac12mv(\alpha)^2\left(1+\frac25\right)+mgR(1+\cos\alpha)\\
&=\frac7{10}mv(\alpha)^2+mgR(1+\cos\alpha).
\end{align*}
Now use ##E_{\text{tot}}=0.9\cdot\frac{27}{10}mgR=\frac{243}{100}mgR##:
\begin{align*}
\frac{243}{100}mgR& = \frac7{10}mv(\alpha)^2+mgR(1+\cos\alpha)\\
\frac7{10}v(\alpha)^2&=gR(\frac{243}{100}-1-\cos\alpha)\\
v(\alpha)^2&=\frac{10}7gR(\frac{143}{100}-\cos\alpha)
\end{align*}
Now the vertical component of the centripetal acceleration would be ##\cos\alpha\cdot\frac{v(\alpha)^2}R## and has to be smaller than ##g##, which gives us
\begin{align*}
\frac{\cos\alpha}{R}\cdot\frac{10}7gR(\frac{143}{100}-\cos\alpha)&<g\\
\cos\alpha\cdot\frac{10}7(\frac{143}{100}-\cos\alpha)&<1\\
\frac{143}{100}-\cos\alpha&<\frac{7}{10\cos\alpha}
\end{align*}
so in the end we get the inequality ##\cos\alpha+\frac{7}{10\cos\alpha}>\frac{143}{100}##. If I regard this as an equality to find the minimum angle, however, the equality does not have any solutions. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cepterus said:
the vertical component of the centripetal acceleration would be ##\cos\alpha\cdot\frac{v(\alpha)^2}R## and has to be smaller than g
That doesn't work. Tangential acceleration also has a vertical component.
What do you know about the forces when it loses contact?

haruspex said:
What do you know about the forces when it loses contact?
There is the gravitational force ##mg## which pulls the ball down, and the centripetal force which pushes it up and to the right. I just thought that the component to the right should be irrelevant and I should only focus on the vertical components.
haruspex said:
Tangential acceleration also has a vertical component.
What do you mean by that? Doesn't centripetal acceleration only have a radial component towards the center of the of the circle?

Cepterus said:
the centripetal force which pushes it up and to the right. I
Centripetal force is not an applied force. It is that component of the resultant of the applied forces that is normal to the velocity. There only two applied forces here, the normal force and gravity.
Cepterus said:
What do you mean by that? Doesn't centripetal acceleration only have a radial component towards the center of the of the circle?
I wrote tangential acceleration, not centripetal.

So, again, what do you know about the forces at the point of loss of contact?

In that case, we have the gravitational force and the normal force with its two components down and to the left.

Cepterus said:
In that case, we have the gravitational force and the normal force with its two components down and to the left.
At the point where the ball is just about to drop free of the wall, what is the magnitude of the normal force?

jbriggs444 said:
At the point where the ball is just about to drop free of the wall, what is the magnitude of the normal force?
As far as I know, the normal force has the same magnitude as the force which the ball applies onto the wall. At the point of loss of contact, the latter force has magnitude zero, which should therefore also be the magnitude of the normal force.

Cepterus said:
As far as I know, the normal force has the same magnitude as the force which the ball applies onto the wall. At the point of loss of contact, the latter force has magnitude zero, which should therefore also be the magnitude of the normal force.
Right. So what ΣF=ma equation(s) can you write? Bear in mind there may be tangential acceleration.

Related to Ball Doing a Loop Min Kin Energy: Find Angle θ

1. What is the definition of Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity.

2. What is the formula for finding the kinetic energy of an object?

The formula for finding kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. How does the angle θ affect the kinetic energy of a ball doing a loop?

The angle θ does not directly affect the kinetic energy of a ball doing a loop. However, it does affect the velocity of the ball, which in turn affects the kinetic energy. A steeper angle will result in a higher velocity and thus a higher kinetic energy.

4. What factors can affect the kinetic energy of a ball doing a loop?

The factors that can affect the kinetic energy of a ball doing a loop include the mass of the ball, the height of the loop, the shape and material of the loop, and any external forces acting on the ball.

5. How can we calculate the angle θ for a ball doing a loop with a specific kinetic energy?

To calculate the angle θ for a ball doing a loop with a specific kinetic energy, we can use the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2 * cos^2(θ), where KE is the desired kinetic energy, m is the mass of the ball, and v is the velocity of the ball. We can rearrange the formula to solve for θ and then use inverse cosine to find the angle.