Why Do Spherical Balls of Different Sizes Roll at the Same Speed Downhill?

• Thread starter dhphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the question asks which of two spherical balls released from rest will roll the fastest down a hill without slipping. The answer is that both will roll at the same speed, regardless of their size and weight. This is due to the conservation of mechanical energy, which equates the initial gravitational potential energy to the final kinetic energy, including both translational and rotational components. The incorrect assumption that the smaller ball would roll faster is based on the idea that it would have less rotational inertia due to its smaller radius, but this is not the case. The relation between rotational inertia, mass, and radius, as well as the relation between angular velocity, linear velocity, and radius, show that the two balls will have the same speed. Friction
dhphysics

Homework Statement

Suppose two spherical balls roll down a hill without slipping. If both are released from rest, which one will roll the fastest?

The answer is that both will roll at the same speed, even if they are of different sizes and weights, but I do not understand why

Homework Equations

Conservation of mechanical energy E= mgh + (1/2)m*v^2 + (1/2)I*ω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that the smallest ball rolls the fastest. If all of the gravitational potential energy mgh is turned into kinetic energy (1/2)m*v^2 + (1/2)I*ω^2, then the bigger ball would lose more energy to rotational kinetic energy because the rotational inertia I is greater because the radius is bigger. However, that is not the correct answer. I think that friction is not considered in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
dhphysics said:

Homework Statement

Suppose two spherical balls roll down a hill without slipping. If both are released from rest, which one will roll the fastest?

The answer is that both will roll at the same speed, even if they are of different sizes and weights, but I do not understand why

Homework Equations

Conservation of mechanical energy E= mgh + (1/2)m*v^2 + (1/2)I*ω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that the smallest ball rolls the fastest. If all of the gravitational potential energy mgh is turned into kinetic energy (1/2)m*v^2 + (1/2)I*ω^2, then the bigger ball would lose more energy to rotational kinetic energy because the rotational inertia I is greater because the radius is bigger. However, that is not the correct answer. I think that friction is not considered in this problem.

You aren't thinking very hard about this. Assume they are all uniformly dense spheres. Now find a relation between I and the mass m and R and a relation between ω and v and R. Now what do you think?

Related to Why Do Spherical Balls of Different Sizes Roll at the Same Speed Downhill?

1. What is rotation?

Rotation is the movement of an object around its own axis, causing it to turn or spin.

2. How is rotation different from revolution?

Rotation refers to the movement of an object around its own axis, while revolution refers to the movement of an object around a larger object or point.

3. What causes rotation?

Rotation is caused by a force, such as a push or pull, acting upon an object. In some cases, objects can also rotate due to internal forces, such as the rotation of the Earth caused by its own gravitational pull.

4. Can all objects rotate?

No, not all objects can rotate. An object must have a fixed axis or point around which it can rotate in order to do so. For example, a ball can rotate because it has a fixed axis at its center, but a cloud cannot rotate because it does not have a fixed axis.

5. How is rotation measured?

Rotation can be measured using units of degrees, revolutions, or radians. One full rotation is equal to 360 degrees, one revolution, or approximately 6.28 radians.