Why did Mexico free itself from Spain?

• Thread starter ConcealedDreamer
  • Start date
In summary: It was probably more about religion though. We went to Europe and they had like churches everywhere, but in Mexico they had these really big crosses on top of these really big temples and you couldn't tell if they were Catholic or Protestant. It was confusing. "The inability of New Spain to feed its own people"This is definitely one of the main reasons that Mexico wanted independence from Spain. Back then, New Spain was really struggling to feed its own people. There were all these inequalities and corruption within the government, and the country was just not able to provide its citizens with the basic necessities. "The confusion and division in the governments of both Spain and New Spain"This was also a
ConcealedDreamer
Hey, I am doing a history project, and I want to know why Mexico wanted independence from Spain. Any specific details? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was life like in Mexico, in the early 1800's? Well, for one thing, back then, this country was not called Mexico. It was called New Spain. And things were a mess.

Was Mexico (New Spain) ready for independence from Spain? Most scholars agree that by the early 1800's, Mexico was ready and that independence was inevitable. There were many reasons for this:
-The inequalities of life under the caste system
-The flow of wealth out of New Spain to Spain
-The inability of New Spain to feed its own people
-The confusion and division in the governments of both Spain and New Spain
-The flow of new ideas on government and peoples rights arriving from America and France, both of whom had recently undergone revolutions of their own
http://members.aol.com/MrDonnUnits/ColonialMexico.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Should we be doing this ? :eek: Doesn't this belong in HH ?

ConcealedDreamer said:
Hey, I am doing a history project, and I want to know why Mexico wanted independence from Spain. Any specific details? Thanks in advance.

Well i wrote an extended essay on why mexico could not achieve democracy (and still hasn't) but I'm really rather too drunk to answer. Grey Goose Vodka is great stuff. Really.

always helpfull eh Franz?

franznietzsche said:
Well i wrote an extended essay on why mexico could not achieve democracy (and still hasn't) but I'm really rather too drunk to answer. Grey Goose Vodka is great stuff. Really.
I got to second you on the Grey Goose. Ever tried Van Gogh? The only vodka I'd ever tasted reminded me of rubbing alcohol, awful stuff. I didn't realize there was a difference, and assumed everything tasted like Smirnoff. Then the guy I work with bought me a Grey Goose on the rocks and it was absolutely amazing. I had no idea vodka could be so smooth and taste so good.

I have a theory about Mexico, but it probably doesn't help any. I am of the opinion that Mexico will never be powerful nation for one simple reason: the siesta. Those naps in the afternoon are killing them, get back to work after lunch and do something productive.

Smurf said:
always helpfull eh Franz?

It was the weekend. If there is no class the next day, assume I'm drunk. I make everyone else i know look like prudes when it comes to alcohol.

tribdog said:
I got to second you on the Grey Goose. Ever tried Van Gogh? The only vodka I'd ever tasted reminded me of rubbing alcohol, awful stuff. I didn't realize there was a difference, and assumed everything tasted like Smirnoff. Then the guy I work with bought me a Grey Goose on the rocks and it was absolutely amazing. I had no idea vodka could be so smooth and taste so good.

I have a theory about Mexico, but it probably doesn't help any. I am of the opinion that Mexico will never be powerful nation for one simple reason: the siesta. Those naps in the afternoon are killing them, get back to work after lunch and do something productive.

Yeah, grey goose straight is good, take a small chaser, something sweet, and it goes down like water. Very good stuff. Smirnoff Triple distilled is antiseptic though. Their raspberry is survivable, but still not great. But grey goose, and Chopin too, good good stuff.

"The flow of wealth out of New Spain to Spain"

Ya. I don't know how much this wealth was, but at least they now know how to write and read because we went there.

Related to Why did Mexico free itself from Spain?

1. Why did Mexico want to free itself from Spain?

Mexico wanted to free itself from Spain because of the oppressive rule and exploitation of the Mexican people by the Spanish government. Spain imposed heavy taxes, forced labor, and restricted trade, leading to economic and social hardships for the people of Mexico.

2. When did Mexico gain its independence from Spain?

Mexico gained its independence from Spain on September 27, 1821, after a decade-long struggle led by Mexican revolutionary leaders such as Miguel Hidalgo and Jose Maria Morelos. This date is celebrated as Mexico's Independence Day.

3. How did Mexico gain its independence from Spain?

Mexico gained its independence from Spain through a combination of military battles, political negotiations, and alliances with other countries. The final push for independence was led by Agustín de Iturbide, who signed the Treaty of Córdoba with the Spanish Viceroy, officially granting Mexico its independence.

4. Did Mexico's independence from Spain have any impact on other countries?

Yes, Mexico's independence from Spain had a significant impact on other countries, particularly in Latin America. Mexico's successful struggle for independence inspired other Latin American countries to also fight for their independence from Spanish rule. It also marked the end of Spain's colonial power in the Americas.

5. How did Mexico's independence from Spain affect its culture and identity?

Mexico's independence from Spain played a crucial role in shaping its culture and identity. It allowed for the development of a distinct Mexican culture, blending indigenous traditions with Spanish influences. It also gave Mexicans a sense of pride and nationalism, which is still celebrated today through cultural traditions, such as Mexican Independence Day.