Got these image puzzles at university and couldn't solve half of them

PraAnan
Hey everyone,

At university yesterday we were shown about 25 of these puzzles during a lecture about logical reasoning and I solved about half of them without much issue but the ones in the image have me stumped:

How do I solve the 10 in the image? You have to look at the 4 on the left and choose what will be the 5th image in the pattern from the 6 images on the right.

I did guess some but not sure if I'm right because the program never tells you the right answers only if you're above average, below average or average.

I also wanted to know how I could solve puzzles like these in the future. Do they have a sort of 'cheat' to get to the right solution?

Some help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Puzzle.jpg

Attachments

• Puzzle.jpg
    Puzzle.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Image too small.

BillTre said:
Image too small.
Fixed :smile:

Its still too small to clearly make out the details of some of the little repeated elements.
I would suggest posting 10 or so larger images individually so the details are clear.
The details are going to be needed to figure out the puzzles.

BillTre said:
Its still too small to clearly make out the details of some of the little repeated elements.
I would suggest posting 10 or so larger images individually so the details are clear.
The details are going to be needed to figure out the puzzles.
The image is 1677 pixels wide; is it not showing up at that size for you? I have a 1080p screen and it looks fine for me.

I added an image where I doubled the width, hope it's better.

Not seeing an image now!???

The original image was about 1 to 2 inches wide on my screen.
I think the websites makes really large pictures smaller, probably based on the vertical axis for your image.

Is this link showing for you? imgur.com/ymwE7cF.jpg

imgur dot com slash ymwE7cF.jpg

Copy-paste the image into the response box here instead of linking it on imgur. You'll be able to see and adjust the result as everyone sees it.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Bandersnatch said:
Copy-paste the image into the response box here instead of linking it on imgur. You'll be able to see and adjust the result as everyone sees it.
Did it on the OP, hope it's ok now

In the #1, the white area increases from left to right. Thus, the next image should have even larger white area, which is the image in the upper right corner:
1705192018733.png

I made them individual images to hopefully make them bigger and easier to see. Not sure why my full size images are getting much smaller when I attach them or paste them into the test box.

Puzzle 1.jpg

Puzzle 2.jpg

Puzzle 3.jpg

Puzzle 4.jpg

Puzzle 5.jpg

Puzzle 6.jpg

Puzzle 7.jpg

Puzzle 8.jpg

Puzzle 9.jpg

Puzzle 10.jpg

My answer to the puzzle 1 is in the post #10.
Regarding puzzle 3. Counting number of sides of the non-blackened figures in the images on the left we get 17, 13, 16, 15. The 14 is missing. The only one with the 14 sides on the right is the image in the lower right corner.

My guess for #10 partitioned into three hints and the final answer.

Hint 1:
There are always a dot in the middle and two dots with a single empty spot between them. I picture this as two dots rotating (counter-clockwise) around the middle dot.

Hint 2:
Assuming hint 1, how far do they rotate from image to image?

Hint3:
In the second image, they have rotated 1 spot. In the third image, they have rotated 4 spots and in the fourth image they have rotated 7 spots. Predicting the next step in the sequence 1-4-7-? leads to?

Solution:
The sequence proceeds in steps of three, so a rotation of 10 spots. This would be the last image in the bottom row.

For 2 I guessed that it was bottom row middle image because big square and little circle were in every other image.

For 4 I guessed top row middle as the numbers add up to an even number and the symbol is above the number unless the number is at the top and then the symbol is on the bottom (like it's scrolling).

For 5 I guessed top row middle as the 8 is always in a middle row and the '&' symbol goes to all 4 corners.

For 7 I guess top row middle as the circle with arrow images are going down by half so I though the next one will be circle with 1 arrow.

What do you think?

PraAnan said:
For 2 I guessed that it was bottom row middle image because big square and little circle were in every other image
I don't think it is a good answer. A good answer should use information from all four given images. Otherwise, you could say it was upper left image because big square + small square + three triangles were in every other image.