How Do Indestructo Berries Impact Produce Shipping and Taste?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the curator of a small museum was discussing how produce is shipped from the Mountain states to the West Coast and parts of Mexico. Due to the rough journey, there is a demand for "indestructo" strawberries, which are bred to be resilient. However, these berries tend to lack flavor. The speaker has attempted their own bounce test and found that these berries are not flavorful but do not bruise easily. They plan to find a local, non-resilient berry grower. Other individuals in the conversation also share their experiences with store-bought strawberries and mention the difficulty of finding ripe, home grown peaches.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
I was helping the curator of a small museum with software. We got to talking about his day job. Turns out he coordinates the shipping of produce from producers to most of the grocery brokers and chains from the Mountain states to the West Coast. And parts of Mexico. Impressive.

Anyway we got to talking about that. Apparently because of the way produce is shipped all over the place there is a demand for "indestructo" strawberries. I live in New Mexico and the berries we get in chain stores are not really ripe and they seem to stay hard for quite a while, without ever getting really sweet and soft.

This is a feature. Thanks to applied genetics run a bit amok, IMO. When berries are shipped via large truck, they experience lots of heavy duty jostling in transit. Pot holes, wear ridges at intersections all send the berries for a jump. When the berries are "normal" they do not make the journey unscathed. So what was needed what a very resilient berry. In fact breeding these guys used the same kind of stair mechanism used to sort out good/bad cranberries. A bounce test. Fail to bounce enough and the breeders reject the stock.

Hah! I tried this on my own. Almost all of my sample test victims, when dropped about one foot, produced about a 3 inch rebound. They are not even slightly flavorful. :frown: They also did not seem to bruise from my abuse. Can't have everything I guess.

I can be taught. I am going to find a local, non-resilient berry grower.

Likes russ_watters, Asymptotic and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, we gave up buying grocery store strawberries several years ago for that reason. If we can't get them from one of the local farm markets, we don't get them.

Gummiberries.

"Tomatoes[insert]Strawberries[/insert] fit to be picked by machines, are fit only to be eaten by machines."

Likes CalcNerd, Tom.G, jim mcnamara and 2 others
jim mcnamara said:
I am going to find a local, non-resilient berry grower
What you need is a resilient berry grower, one who can raise non-resilient berries. :oldbiggrin:

Likes jim mcnamara
Perhaps the reason I have never liked strawberries is far more practical than I thought.

ChemAir said:
Perhaps the reason I have never liked strawberries is far more practical than I thought.
If you've never had freshly picked home grown strawberries, you're in for a treat.

phinds said:
home grown strawberries, you're in for a treat.
Haarrrdddd to find (pun intended, or not).

Bystander said:
Haarrrdddd to find (pun intended, or not).
The same goes for ripe, home grown peaches.
I ripe peach does not travel well.

Related to How Do Indestructo Berries Impact Produce Shipping and Taste?

1. How are berries shipped to maintain freshness?

Berries are typically shipped in refrigerated trucks or containers to maintain a cool temperature and prevent spoilage. They are also often packaged in containers with ventilation holes to allow for proper airflow and reduce moisture buildup.

2. What precautions are taken to prevent damage during shipping?

To prevent damage during shipping, berries are typically packed in cushioned containers or boxes to protect them from being crushed. They may also be layered with foam or other protective materials to absorb any impact during transit.

3. How long does it take for berries to reach their destination?

The time it takes for berries to reach their destination can vary depending on the shipping method and distance. However, most berries are shipped within 1-2 days of being harvested and can reach their destination within 1-3 days.

4. Are any pesticides used during the shipping process?

No, pesticides are not used during the shipping process. Berries are typically washed and treated with pesticides before being shipped to ensure they are safe for consumption.

5. How are berries transported to different regions and countries?

Berries are often transported by air or sea to different regions and countries. Air transportation allows for a quicker delivery time, while sea transportation is more cost-effective for longer distances. Proper packaging and refrigeration are crucial for preserving the berries during these long-distance trips.

Back