Who will be the next winner of the Physics Forums Quiz?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, the Physics Forums Quiz will be taking place on Sunday October 2nd 2011 at 20:00 GMT. Anyone is welcome to join and participate in the contest, however, the first person to answer a question correctly will receive 1 point. The quiz master's decision is final. Members are asked to not carry any conversation other than answering the question, or seeking clarification during each round. There will be a break between each round where members may seek clarification on any answer that was given during the previous round. However, points will not be reallocated. There are two rounds: the first round is for Science, Nature, and Technology questions, and the second round is for History questions. Any questions not covered in the previous
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Quiz this sunday!

Announcing the Physics Forums Quiz
Sunday October 2th 2011
20:00 GMT

This coming Sunday will see another Physics Forums Quiz during Sunday's chat session. The quiz is just for fun and all are welcome! The quiz will take place in the dedicated quiz chat room. All interested members are invited to join and/or participate in the contest. Simply by joining the room, you are eligible to participate in the quiz. You may join and leave at any time.

Rules
  1. The quiz is purely for fun, anyone taking it too seriously will be slapped with a fish!
  2. The FIRST member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the quiz master's chat screen will receive 1 point. The quiz master will acknowledge the answer by saying "{NAME} correct".
  3. The quiz master's decision is final (even if ultimately wrong! :-p).
  4. Members in the chat room are asked to not carry any conversation other than answering the question, or seeking clarification during each round. There will be a break between each round where members may seek clarification on any answer that was given during the previous round. However, points will not be reallocated.
  5. Members should use white font only, with no decorations (such as bold, italics or underlining).

Format
The will be two rounds:
  1. Science, Nature & Technology
  2. History

Physics news on Phys.org

Yay Micro!

Yay!

micro, what time is that in REAL CST (DST) time?

2PM CST I think. It's 3PM right now, no??

Evo, if in doubt, look here: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/current-time/

Not that I remember the link, I always google for "GMT now".

Evo said:
micro, what time is that in REAL CST (DST) time?

GMT is also known as Zulu time.

You use Sierra Time, which is Zulu Time minus 6 hours.

Since you're in Daylight Savings Time, you have to add 1 hour. That means you're actually only 5 hours behind Zulu Time.

I use Tango Time, which is Zulu minus 7 hours, but have to add one hour for Daylight Savings Time.

It's obviously more fun where I live. Arizona is even more fun since they're in Tango Time 365.25 days a year!

BobG said:
Arizona is even more fun since they're in Tango Time 365.25 days a year!

What about remaining 0.0063 days?

I know how to look it up, but PF is run on CST, so people need to learn CST. Pthhhbt.

For example chat's "official hours are Sunday's from 10am to 4pm CST.

micromass said:
2PM CST I think. It's 3PM right now, no??
No, your post was made at 4:13pm CST

Sounds like fun Micro! Can't wait.

Well I am GMT... makes my life a little bit trickier heh.

What do I get when I win?

Borek said:
What about remaining 0.0063 days?

They sleep.

Evo said:
I know how to look it up, but PF is run on CST, so people need to learn CST. Pthhhbt.

For example chat's "official hours are Sunday's from 10am to 4pm CST.

I didn't know chat had official hours. Whats that in GMT? If I have to convert I'd rather do it from GMT. Otherwise I have to remember too many time zones. Throw in a few arbitrary daylight savings times, and its over for me.

Pengwuino said:
What do I get when I win?
First, the object of the quiz is to beat Pengy, then for good measure, BAN HIM !

Rhody... o:)

rhody said:
First, the object of the quiz is to beat Pengy, then for good measure, BAN HIM !

WAH :cry: :cry: :cry:

rhody said:

Pengwuino said:

What ! I expected you to up the offensive. You never fail to amaze me, because you are NOT predictable. Who knows Peng, you may have the last laugh if I get eliminated first. Then you can do the nasty to me in this thread. I can take it, trust me.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

Evo said:
No, your post was made at 4:13pm CST

OK, then quiz is at 3PM CST.

Pengwuino said:

Rhody makes pengy cry :cry:

BAN RHODY!

micromass said:
OK, then quiz is at 3PM CST.
Thank you Supreme Onion! Is that with daylight savings time? :-p

Evo said:
Thank you Supreme Onion! Is that with daylight savings time? :-p

:cry:

I guess so?

:cry::cry::cry:

micromass said:

I guess so?

:cry::cry::cry:
Evo makes micromass cry. BAN HER.

I already told my parents that I will be "unavailable" for at least an hour beginning at 4 EST, and that I would need use of the computer at that time. I also added a "no emergencies allowed" clause. I think I'll leave some sticky notes around the house just to be safe.

ArcanaNoir said:
I already told my parents that I will be "unavailable" for at least an hour beginning at 4 EST, and that I would need use of the computer at that time. I also added a "no emergencies allowed" clause. I think I'll leave some sticky notes around the house just to be safe.

Won't work. But nice try.

3pm CST is 9pm GMT. Buggered if I know if that includes daylight savings or not though.

I'll just chance it.

Bump to remind everybody for the quiz tomorrow!

So, is that like 3:00 pm est?

QuarkCharmer said:
So, is that like 3:00 pm est?

It's 22:00 pm Brussels time. Nah...

micromass said:

It's 22:00 pm Brussels time. Nah...

?

20:00:00 Sunday October 2, 2011 in GMT converts to
15:00:00 Sunday October 2, 2011 in EST
Daylight Saving Time is not in effect on this date/time in GMT
Daylight Saving Time is not in effect on this date/time in EST

If I am not mistaken, 15:00:00 is 3:00pm

Sigh...20:00 GMT, That will be 1:30 AM over here

QuarkCharmer said:
?

20:00:00 Sunday October 2, 2011 in GMT converts to
15:00:00 Sunday October 2, 2011 in EST
Daylight Saving Time is not in effect on this date/time in GMT
Daylight Saving Time is not in effect on this date/time in EST

If I am not mistaken, 15:00:00 is 3:00pm

It's 4 pm EST! Are you using the same website that I was complaining about lying? Because apparently is IS DST over here. I'm EST and I'm strongly advising you that it will be 4 PM EST.

ArcanaNoir said:
It's 4 pm EST! Are you using the same website that I was complaining about lying? Because apparently is IS DST over here. I'm EST and I'm strongly advising you that it will be 4 PM EST.

Why is this looking familiar? :confused:

When would daylight saving be in effect in EST?

I like Serena said:
Why is this looking familiar? :confused:

When would daylight saving be in effect in EST?

I thought you said it was NOW... Am I still confused?

Can we just ban micro and get it over with?