Thank you physics forums, 20 years later

• Praise
  • Thread starter smithpa9
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker, who is now in their mid-50s, had started taking night classes in physics 20 years ago with the goal of earning a science degree. They had used physics forums to ask questions that weren't answered in their textbooks or lectures. However, work and life got in the way and they were unable to continue their studies. Now, they have the opportunity to start again and are grateful to find their old physics forums account still active with helpful answers from members. They are excited to begin their journey once more and thank all the past, present, and future members for their support.
smithpa9
About 20 years ago, in my mid-30s (and with a BA in economics and a master's in business), I started taking night classes in physics hoping to eventually earn the science degree I'd always wanted but never pursued. I found physics forums and used it to ask questions I was unable to get answered from my textbooks or class lectures.

Unfortunately, work and life got in the way and I never got further the freshman courses. Well, here it is 20 years later. I'm in my mid-50s now, and in a position to start that effort again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I remembered my physics forums ID and password, and even more shocked to find that my old account was still active, along with the questions I asked 20 years ago (and surely will have again in round 2) and the very generous answers from those wonderful forum members.

So now I'm looking forward to starting my journey all over again with a whole new set of questions. Thank you to all physics forum members past, present, and future, to whom I will undoubtedly be turning for wisdom again. Starting now. :-)

• Love
  • Care
Likes berkeman, SolarisOne, dlgoff and 16 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Funny! IIRC, PF was barely more than a HS project back then.

Likes smithpa9 and Greg Bernhardt
Love these kinds of journeys!

Likes dlgoff, Astronuc and smithpa9

1. How has Physics Forums changed in the last 20 years?

Since its inception in 2001, Physics Forums has undergone significant changes. It has expanded to cover a wider range of topics, including mathematics, engineering, and computer science. The platform has also evolved to include new features such as a mobile app and a points system for user participation. Additionally, the number of registered members has grown from a few hundred to over 1 million.

2. What impact has Physics Forums had on the scientific community?

Physics Forums has had a significant impact on the scientific community by providing a platform for scientists, researchers, and students to connect and collaborate. It has also become a valuable resource for sharing knowledge, discussing ideas, and solving complex problems. Many members credit Physics Forums for helping them advance their research and understanding of various scientific concepts.

3. How has the role of online forums, like Physics Forums, changed in the scientific community?

Online forums, such as Physics Forums, have become an essential part of the scientific community. They offer a convenient and accessible way for scientists to communicate and share information with each other. They also provide a platform for open discussions and debates on various scientific topics, leading to further advancements in research and understanding.

4. How has Physics Forums contributed to the education of students in the STEM fields?

Physics Forums has played a significant role in the education of students in the STEM fields. It offers a platform for students to ask questions, seek help, and engage in discussions with experts in their respective fields. This has helped students gain a deeper understanding of complex concepts and has also provided them with opportunities to connect with potential mentors and collaborators.

5. What does the future hold for Physics Forums?

As technology continues to advance, the future of Physics Forums looks bright. The platform will likely continue to evolve and adapt to the changing needs of the scientific community. It will also likely attract more members and expand to cover new and emerging fields of study. Overall, Physics Forums will continue to be a valuable resource for scientists and students alike, promoting collaboration and knowledge-sharing in the scientific community.