Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
pinball1970 said:
I keep dipping in and out to see what it is you like about her- she has a quirky voice with that accent.
I don't only like her, I am a fan already :smile:. I see potential greatness, and a natural talent. She is on a promotional tour at the moment, and I've been watching many live clips of her on the net, and they are spectacular. And she is getting very good reviews internationally, and she has not even released an full length album yet, only an EP. :smile:
I will post some examples:

Extremely good review: http://www.redbrick.me/music/slider-music/live-review-sigrid/
Good review: Independent, UK
Interview, LA, US with awesome solo live performance
Two more great live performances: James Corden, Jools Holland

I am eagerly awaiting her first full length album... and I am not alone :biggrin:.

But enough about her for now, here's another awesome female artist, Sheryl Crow :smile::

Likes Spinnor
Physics news on Phys.org
And time for some rock from Monster Magnet :smile::

Last edited:
DennisN said:
I don't only like her, I am a fan already :smile:. I see potential greatness, and a natural talent. She is on a promotional tour at the moment, and I've been watching many live clips of her on the net, and they are spectacular. And she is getting very good reviews internationally,

I've been spoilt with Kate Bush though so its tricky. Bush was 19 when she released "A Kick inside" she wrote some of the material for that when she was 13! She did everything, wrote every track played piano sang obviously but on top of all that the amazing choreography.Some good artists and great tracks but in terms of ability pure talent, Kate Bush to me is untouchable.

I will keep checking her out though. does she write too?

She calmly and lithely gets into dustbin at the start of this! 9I also can't believe this is almost 40 years old)

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
Ive been spoilt with Kate Bush though so its tricky.
Kate Bush was extremely good :smile:. But I've got other females I like too, like Annie Lennox, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Adele.

pinball1970 said:
I will keep checking her out though. does she write too?
Yes. But she seems to also collaborate with others, and her music, style and album is currently in the making, as she says in this interview,
and where she also mentions some of her inspirations:

Likes pinball1970
last one

DennisN said:
I like too, like Annie Lennox, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Adele.

Yeah some good singers and songs but Kate did everything and it was all completely original / unique- nothing else really sounds like it. "The Dreaming" is absolutely bonkers but it is probably her best (although people didnt get it at the time)

pinball1970 said:
If they are as good as this one post them sir!

Well there aren’t many as good as that one but you asked for it.

Likes Spinnor, pinball1970 and DennisN
Fig Neutron said:
]

All great tracks. Sandy Denny is the only person who recorded with Led Zep besides the band members, certainly in terms of vocals. "Battle for ever more" She had a truly beautiful voice, died young like a lot of them. A picture of her with the band on this YT post

Likes Spinnor and DennisN
remember this? It was a prog from the 1970s - A lovely person I posted that I like the track on YT and she (Jackie Lee the lady who recorded the track) replied to me and thanked me! I almost fell off my stool.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
Fig Neutron said:
Well, I think "Back In Black" is a darn good song. :smile:
And I think I will post some more rock tracks...

Four classic tracks:

Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers (awesome song, awesome lyrics)

Sabotage by Beastie Boys (awesome song, awesome video)

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden (awesome live from 2:00 and onwards)

Sleep Now in the Fire, Rage Against The Machine (awesome song, awesome video)

Likes Spinnor, david2, pinball1970 and 1 other person
And two more retro classics, still darn good... :smile:

Likes Evo
I love this song.

Likes DennisN and david2
DennisN said:
And two more retro classics, still darn good... :smile:

OMG, you know about the 13th floor Elevators?? My best friend's sister was married to their drummer. We used to go see them at Allen's Landing all of the time. I can't say who else I dated. My other girlfriend had a huge crush on Roky. Of course LSD fried his brain.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I love this song.

I came across this track...

Likes david2
DennisN said:
Four classic tracks:

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden (awesome live from 2:00 and onwards)

]

This is an amazing track, heavy as hell but lovely melody. He took his own life recently? Shame

Likes Spinnor
DennisN said:
Four classic tracks:

Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers (awesome song, awesome lyrics)

I was in LedZep Purple 60s mode when this all broke so I sort of turned my nose up at it BUT I could not ignore this great track (I did not recognize it as SW track!)

]

Likes Spinnor and david2
speaking of 60s...there was a vid of Vietnam with Gimmi Shelter playing with it. Its horrific so watch with caution. A song that gave the best of the 60s and the death of it and everything it stood for. Beauty creativity peace and love and death and mindless annihilation. (I will post a few happy ones after this!)

Likes Spinnor
Not Vietnam, I should get out of the 60s by May

Likes Spinnor
Evo said:
OMG, you know about the 13th floor Elevators?? My best friend's sister was married to their drummer

Sounds like the sort of band I should have listened to. Some research required.

a beck song
another peppers. from their best album please listen to the end

it only one number of their cd/

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
Evo said:
OMG, you know about the 13th floor Elevators?? My best friend's sister was married to their drummer. We used to go see them at Allen's Landing all of the time. I can't say who else I dated. My other girlfriend had a huge crush on Roky.
Very cool! :biggrin:
Yes, I know about them. I remember that it was one of my music friends that played them/him to me, and I liked it a lot. If I remember correctly, I think the 13th floor Elevators was one of the first psychedelic rock bands, but you may know more about it perhaps...

And here are two more tracks by Roky Erickson that I think are really, really good:

Last edited:
Evo said:
I love this song.
Thanks a lot, Evo, I had not heard it before, I liked it very, very much! I'm currently listening to similar kind of music, so I'm going to check Børns out. The sound reminded me of something else, but I don't know what at the moment, but if I remember I will post it. :smile:
pinball1970 said:
speaking of 60s...there was a vid of Vietnam with Gimmi Shelter playing with it.
Gimme Shelter is a definite favorite of mine. :smile:

There was a good Swedish rock band called The Soundtrack of Our Lives which had a song with an intro that was heavily influenced by Gimme Shelter. The song is good in itself, I think:

"Firmament Vacation":

Two more songs by the band:

"Mantra Slider":

"Instant Repeater '99":

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
This is an amazing track, heavy as hell but lovely melody. He took his own life recently? Shame
Yes, he regretfully did. He was a great musician and songwriter. If you're interested I would recommend the album Superunknown, it is a very good rock album in my opinion. And also e.g. the Audioslave tracks I am the Highway, The Last Remaining Light, Like A Stone . Very emotional though, but very good songwriting, I think. Some discography links: Soundgarden - Discography, Audioslave - Discography.

EDIT:
pinball1970 said:
This is an amazing track, heavy as hell but lovely melody.
Oh by the way, you liked that song? Chris Cornell said he wrote the song in about 15 minutes :biggrin::
Interview said:
"Generally, the songs I've been most proud of have been the least likely ones. It's weird: I wrote Black Hole Sun in about 15 minutes and it was a big hit, but I've spent weeks and weeks on other songs that weren't."
Sources: 1, 2.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Evo said:
I love this song.
DennisN said:
Thanks a lot, Evo, I had not heard it before, I liked it very, very much! I'm currently listening to similar kind of music, so I'm going to check Børns out. The sound reminded me of something else, but I don't know what at the moment, but if I remember I will post it. :smile:
I finally pinpointed what it reminded me of, the musician Washed Out. An example:

There is a US web radio station which often plays similar music like Børns, and the name of the station is Area 54 (link: http://area54.fm/ ). They are also quick to play new artists and songs, and I have discovered much good music thanks to that station :biggrin:.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Spinnor said:

Love Bach, a couple of the others I can't play as "wrong country"

DennisN said:
I finally pinpointed what it reminded me of, the musician Washed Out. An example:

There is a US web radio station which often plays similar music like Børns, and the name of the station is Area 54 (link: http://area54.fm/ ). They are also quick to play new artists and songs, and I have discovered much good music thanks to that station :biggrin:.

This is very nice, Tangerine dream meets Beach boys

pinball1970 said:
Love Bach, a couple of the others I can't play as "wrong country"

Sometimes I feel like that. ?:)

You are in the wrong country, which one would that be?

Likes Spinnor, DennisN and david2
Spinnor said:
Sometimes I feel like that. ?:)

You are in the wrong country, which one would that be?

England

pinball1970 said:
England

Such a close ally to the U.S. and YouTube won't let you watch/listen, shame on them. Some legal reason I guess?

Spinnor said:
Such a close ally to the U.S. and YouTube won't let you watch/listen, shame on them. Some legal reason I guess?

Yes strange, Bach and Vivaldi are ok though, no commercial value perhaps? I can watch lectures for free by Leonard Susskind and Edward Witten too.
You posted some physics music connections to begin with and you missed an obvious one out but I think it may not have been released in the states.

Its quite odd but I liked it at the time

Spinnor said:

I think we are safe classical music

This is one of the most uplifting pieces of music I have ever heard, it makes want to get on a horse ride a horse into battle and I am terrified of horses! (headphones required play loud!)

Likes davenn and DennisN