Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
I was looking for the previous "Best songs ever" thread, but it seems it is gone. So I boldly start a new one...

The very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid:

Likes AlexB23, Demystifier, Stavros Kiri and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI the last thread was taken down because I received a DMCA request. Share away again, but if I receive another I'll have to remove this thread too.

Likes hmmm27, Stavros Kiri, HAYAO and 1 other person

Likes Stavros Kiri

Greg Bernhardt said:
FYI the last thread was taken down because I received a DMCA request. Share away again, but if I receive another I'll have to remove this thread too.
What a downer. Was it because of written content like lyrics? Because if it were to be about videos, then YouTube should have gotten it first.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045

Likes Navin
Please excuse the long list.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller, Navin, pinball1970 and 1 other person

Likes BillTre

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier, pinball1970 and (deleted member)
I happen to have a sudden addiction to the song "Pray for me" written by Kendrick Lamar for the new Black Panther movie. The album has quite a few good songs. I'm usually not a hip-hop or rap fan, but the songs are mesmerising.

Otherwise I would listen to songs by KSHMR, R3hab, etc.

I simply cannot give one favorite song or artist.

DennisN said:
The very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid:
Another song, powerful live performance:

Original:

Likes Craftek_Ana
I had to post this performance of "Strangers" by 21 year old Sigrid too,
because I actually got goose bumps on my neck during the two choruses in this performance
when I heard it a couple of minutes ago. It is not often this happens to me :woot:.
(she won BBC Music Sound of 2018).

Likes Craftek_Ana
And some music from my home country :smile: :
The powerful vocals of Marie Fredriksson/early Roxette in "Soul Deep" (1987):

EDIT:

:)) :woot:
Wow, I found a rare live clip with an amazing performance of the song here (starts at 2:45)

Last edited:
Here's my favorite version of a well known song:

Likes just dave, Navin and pinball1970
There are so many good songs. I don't know what to choose, but I think Boston would have to be my favorite. I typically like classic and alternative rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.

Likes Navin, pinball1970 and Arman777
Fig Neutron said:
There are so many good songs. I don't know what to choose, but I think Boston would have to be my favorite. I typically like classic and alternative rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.

I like this song. Its really cute.

This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.

Let's bring back retro 70's!

Zz.

Likes Demystifier, david2, DennisN and 1 other person

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
Some classic NBM

Likes Demystifier and dRic2
Before there was Duran Duran, there was one of the most highly-underrated band: Japan. I worn out the LP with this track that I imported from the UK. This tune is still in my regular rotation when I do any long-distance driving.

Zz.

Likes david2 and almostvoid
I know I've posted songs from Sigrid in this thread before, but I had to add these two live performances I recently saw,
because they are so good and practically flawless... :)):kiss:
From the Nobel Peace Prize Concert, Dec 2017, songs "Dynamite" and "Strangers":

Paul Simon wrote this about Garfunkel going off to make a film while he was trying write & record an album

The harmonies are beautiful, ethereal and all with 60s technology

For the kids born in the 90's, how can you not cry with this?:smile::smile:

(DragonBall GT main theme)

pinball1970 said:
The harmonies are beautiful, ethereal and all with 60s technology

Well harmony is after all, a 17-18th century technology

BWV said:
Well harmony is after all, a 17-18th century technology
I think that’s cheating, the OP was favourite "songs" not piece of music and as for the technology? I think harmony goes back a lot further than that.I don’t know much about the history of the technology of chords scales modes harmonics but it was a clever job to group everything into a manageable bunch, I imagine the physics was not understood very well? Anyway your Handle piece is well known but a little repetitive, for harmony this is one of my favourites.

Am Allowed one more? my fave song and year

pinball1970 said:
I think that’s cheating, the OP was favourite "songs" not piece of music and as for the technology? I think harmony goes back a lot further than that.I don’t know much about the history of the technology of chords scales modes harmonics but it was a clever job to group everything into a manageable bunch, I imagine the physics was not understood very well? Anyway your Handle piece is well known but a little repetitive .

Harmony was a creation of the baroque period. There was not really an idea of chords and chord progressions in medieval and Renaissance music - the styles had rules for counterpoint that created what to us are recognizable chords but that is not really how they thought about it at the time.

Great songs / pieces you posted though

BWV said:
Harmony was a creation of the baroque period. There was not really an idea of chords and chord progressions in medieval and Renaissance music - the styles had rules for counterpoint that created what to us are recognizable chords but that is not really how they thought about it at the time.

Great songs / pieces you posted though

Thanks, I could post 100 songs on this thread to be honest without thinking too much about it.

DennisN seems to be approaching that number just with Sigred!

Your name has an intended Bach connection?

Read everyones and these may get removed so one more, not intended for guitar when it was written probably. I still like it.

Likes Klystron, Spinnor and BWV