Which branch of physics would I enjoy most?

In summary: There's a lot of variety in what people end up liking about physics. I think it's a great thing.And this certainly isn't unique to me, if it were, we'd have almost entirely theoretical particle physicists and theoretical cosmologists. :wink: There's a lot of variety in what people end up liking about physics. I think it's a great thing.
victorhugo
In H.S. physics, chemistry & maths:

I liked everything about the communication unit (lots about waves, refraction and light)

I loved the space unit which includes a lot about satellites, space and spacetime which I am also really passionate about (relativity).

I love watching crash course astronomy and big history cosmology.

In chemistry really liked radiation and studying about atoms, but when things got into too many details and about how materials are produced in, I got really sick of it.

I took Mathematics General which does not teach calculus, just real life maths problems. I did really well and never found it interesting nor boring. Just a neutral and easy subject. However, I will be having to do a calculus course before doing any science in university, and so I have been learning a bit more of what I will need to know for calculus and me don't enjoy it. Ironically what I liked most about physics the most is the maths problems, not the information!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't tell what branch of physics you will enjoy. Only what you enjoy right now. There is so much to physics that hasn't been covered in high school.

=) you'll discover more as you learn so no rush to it

Well how else am i supposed to discover it after High School :l

victorhugo said:
Well how else am i supposed to discover it after High School :l

An undergraduate physics degree is typically extremely broad, and you would have the opportunity to experience all of the kinds of physics you mentioned in your post, and likely some you've never heard about before.

e.bar.goum said:
An undergraduate physics degree is typically extremely broad

Exactly. At least in the US, undergraduate physics degrees are not specialized. After you finish the introductory courses, and while you're taking the core upper-level courses (classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics / statistical mechanics), you usually have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas that you might be interested in, or start helping with research in those areas. This helps you decide which area you want to specialize in when you reach graduate school.

jtbell said:
Exactly. At least in the US, undergraduate physics degrees are not specialized. After you finish the introductory courses, and while you're taking the core upper-level courses (classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics / statistical mechanics), you usually have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas that you might be interested in, or start helping with research in those areas. This helps you decide which area you want to specialize in when you reach graduate school.

I certainly didn't end up doing the kind of physics I was convinced I wanted to do going into undergrad (and, hell, for the first two years of my degree too). Doing physics is very different from learning physics, and you start to realize this near the end of undergrad.

And this certainly isn't unique to me, if it were, we'd have almost entirely theoretical particle physicists and theoretical cosmologists. :wink:

Likes Student100 and UncertaintyAjay

Related to Which branch of physics would I enjoy most?

1. What are the different branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other branches include astrophysics, biophysics, and particle physics.

2. How do I determine which branch of physics I would enjoy most?

The best way to determine which branch of physics you would enjoy most is to explore each of the different branches through reading, attending lectures or seminars, and conducting experiments. You can also consider your interests and strengths to help guide your decision.

3. What are the key differences between the different branches of physics?

Each branch of physics focuses on different phenomena and uses different theories and principles to explain them. For example, classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Are there any overlapping areas between different branches of physics?

Yes, there are many overlapping areas between different branches of physics. For example, astrophysics combines principles from classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics to study celestial objects. Biophysics also combines principles from various branches to study biological systems.

5. Can I switch branches of physics if I am not enjoying my current field of study?

Yes, it is possible to switch branches of physics if you are not enjoying your current field of study. Many concepts and skills are transferable between branches, so you may not have to start from the beginning. However, it may require additional coursework and a willingness to learn new concepts and theories.