Where Can I Find Four Points on an Elliptic Paraboloid Graph?

In summary, to graph the elliptic paraboloid $4x^2+y^2-z=0$, you can find four distinct points on the graph, such as (0,2,4), (0, sqrt(3), 3), (0, sqrt(2), 2), and (0,-1,1). It is also recommended to include points with $x\ne0$ for a more comprehensive understanding of the graph. However, be careful to avoid mistakes when working on test questions.
ineedhelpnow
graph the elliptic paraboloid $4x^2+y^2-z=0$. find four distinct points on the graph

View attachment 3245

this is the graph. do i just find four random points now that lay on it?

Attachments

• 09-16-2014 Image001.jpg
    09-16-2014 Image001.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
this is the graph.

Good!

do i just find four random points now that lay on it?

Yes.

would points like these work
(0,2,4)
(0, sqrt(3), 3)
(0, sqrt(2), 2)
(0,-1,1)

ineedhelpnow said:
would points like these work
(0,2,4)
(0, sqrt(3), 3)
(0, sqrt(2), 2)
(0,-1,1)

Yep!
But wouldn't it be nice to include some point with $x\ne0$?

i tried that but i wasnt sure if it was on the graph because i noticed that it was longer in the y direction and i couldn't afford to make any mistakes (test question) (Giggle) (didnt know you could edit latex as a global moderator. in that case you probably want to go edit my interval for the length of an arc thread (Rofl))

ineedhelpnow said:
i tried that but i wasnt sure if it was on the graph because i noticed that it was longer in the y direction and i couldn't afford to make any mistakes (test question) (Giggle)

Ah well. As long as you're afraid to make mistakes with questions like these, you've come to the right place! (Evilgrin)

ineedhelpnow said:
(didnt know you could edit latex as a global moderator. in that case you probably want to go edit my interval for the length of an arc thread (Rofl))

Nope. No need, since I can read it without reformatting it. (Lipssealed)

Related to Where Can I Find Four Points on an Elliptic Paraboloid Graph?

What is a 3D graph?

A 3D graph, also known as a three-dimensional graph, is a visual representation of data in three dimensions, typically using the x, y, and z axes to plot data points.

Why is it important to find points on a 3D graph?

Finding points on a 3D graph allows us to analyze and understand the relationships between different variables in three dimensions. This can help us make predictions, identify patterns, and draw conclusions about the data.

How do you find points on a 3D graph?

To find points on a 3D graph, you need to determine the coordinates of each point on the x, y, and z axes. This can be done by looking at the data plotted on the graph or by using mathematical equations to calculate the coordinates.

What tools can be used to find points on a 3D graph?

There are several tools that can be used to find points on a 3D graph, such as rulers, protractors, and graphing calculators. Additionally, software programs like MATLAB and Excel have built-in functions for finding points on a 3D graph.

What are some common challenges when finding points on a 3D graph?

Some common challenges when finding points on a 3D graph include accurately reading and interpreting the coordinates, dealing with large datasets, and identifying outliers or anomalies in the data. It is important to double-check your calculations and be mindful of any potential errors or inconsistencies in the data.