Is graphing the best method for finding the limit of a rational function?

• MHB
  • Thread starter nycmathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, when graphing a function, the limit at a certain point is found by moving the graph towards the limit and checking if the graph hits the limit. If it does, the limit is at that point.
nycmathdad
Find the limit of x/(x^2 - 4) as x tends to 2 from the right.

If I plug x = 0, I will get 0/-4 = asymptote. Again, is graphing the best to do this one?

I can also create a number line.

<----------(-2)----------(0)---------------(2)-------->

I can then select values for x from each interval. I then plug those values into the given function to see if the intervals are positive or negative.

True?

Physics news on Phys.org
Beer soaked fill in the boxes hint follows.
nycmathdad said:
Find the limit of x/(x^2 - 4) as x tends to 2 from the right.

If I plug x = 0, I will get 0/-4 = asymptote. Again, is graphing the best to do this one?

I can also create a number line.

<----------(-2)----------(0)---------------(2)-------->

I can then select values for x from each interval. I then plug those values into the given function to see if the intervals are positive or negative.

True?
As x approaches 2 from the $\boxed{?}$, x approaches $\boxed{?}$ and
$x^2−4$ approaches $\boxed{?}$ from the $\boxed{?}$. Therefore,
the ratio $\frac{x}{x^2−4}$ becomes $\boxed{?}$ in the $\boxed{?}$ $\boxed{?}$, so $$\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x\to2^+} \frac{x}{{x^2-4}} = \boxed{?}$$

Note: Number of question marks corresponds to number of letters or symbols.

Again, to support whatever conclusion you get from filling in the boxes, make a table with the following values of x: 2.1, 2.01, 2.001

Do try to take the time to read your book instead of insisting on your ineffective method:
2. I don't have time to read the textbook lessons. I usually make use of the chapter outline as my guide. For example, Section 1.5 is all about Limits at Infinity. I then search You Tube for Limits at Infinity video lessons. I take notes on everything said in the video lesson. I work out all sample questions with the video instructor. Is this a good way to learn the material?

Last edited:
For x> 2 $x^2- 4$ is positive. As x approaches 2 from the right, $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ goes to $+\infty$.
For x< 2 $x^2- 4$ is negative. As x approaches 2 from the -eft, $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ goes to $+\infty$.

x= 2 is a vertical asymptote.

Country Boy said:
For x> 2 $x^2- 4$ is positive. As x approaches 2 from the right, $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ goes to $+\infty$.
For x< 2 $x^2- 4$ is negative. As x approaches 2 from the -eft, $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ goes to $+\infty$.

x= 2 is a vertical asymptote.

So the answer is positive infinity.

No. I miswrote (I'm doing that too often lately!) . I apologize for that.

I meant to say "For x< 2 $x^2- 4$ is negative, As a approaches 2 from the left, $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ goes to $- \infty$". NEGATIVE infinity, not positive infinity. $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ does NOT have a limit as x goes to 2.

Country Boy said:
No. I miswrote (I'm doing that too often lately!) . I apologize for that.

I meant to say "For x< 2 $x^2- 4$ is negative, As a approaches 2 from the left, $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ goes to $- \infty$". NEGATIVE infinity, not positive infinity. $\frac{x}{x^2- 4}$ does NOT have a limit as x goes to 2.

Ok. I will practice more problems before moving on in the textbook.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomials. It is typically written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. Why is graphing often used to find the limit of a rational function?

Graphing allows us to visualize the behavior of a rational function as the input approaches a certain value. This can give us a better understanding of the limit and help us make predictions about the function's behavior.

3. Are there any limitations to using graphing to find the limit of a rational function?

Yes, there are limitations. Graphing can only provide an estimate of the limit and may not give an exact value. It also requires a good understanding of the function and its behavior, which may be difficult for more complex functions.

4. What other methods can be used to find the limit of a rational function?

Other methods include algebraic manipulation, substitution, and using the properties of limits. These methods may be more accurate and efficient for certain types of rational functions.

5. Can graphing be used to find the limit of any type of function?

No, graphing is not always the best method for finding the limit of a function. It may be more appropriate for continuous functions with simple behavior. For more complex functions, other methods may be more suitable.