What's the deal with internet addiction and its impact on academic performance?

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
In summary, Mentat's mother is a religious nut who dragged him off PF because he spent too much time on the forum and she was worried about the consequences.
maximus
i left for a couple of months and the great mentat is gone? what's happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe he found a girl? :smile:

- Warren

maximus said:
i left for a couple of months and the great mentat is gone? what's happened?
So, from this we can conclude that... it's all YOUR fault he's gone! For cryin' out loud. I bet THAT'LL teach you to leave for a couple of months, huh? Just DON'T do it again! Who knows WHO will disappear if you do! :eek: :biggrin:

Hold on just a second!

Who do we want to disappear? The "maximus effect" could be quite useful, if we can figure out how to control it!

cookiemonster

Maximus, would you please direct all of your God given energy towards the California Legislature.

I'd prefer The White House. Yeah! Make THEM disappear, maximus! PLEASE?!

Seriously though, wasn't Mentat's mom who dragged him off PF, partly because he spent too much time on here and partly because she is a religious nut?

A mom telling a child to do something other than (ostentatiously, at least...) academics... That's a first.

cookiemonster

hah my dad doesn't think i should go on PF as much as i do, cos he says it isn't relevant and i don't do anything academic on there. He is mostly right. :)

Dimitri Terryn said:
Seriously though, wasn't Mentat's mom who dragged him off PF, partly because he spent too much time on here and partly because she is a religious nut?
Yes she is, I remember he said he was being restricted from using the computer.

I suspect that was partly, at that time, some of the language was a little rougher, in places...he was getting access to learning 'adult things', clearly, as there are some open conversations in some of the knowledge of sex, and sex related, "realms", also discourses upon God, God's nature, which his Mom (or parents...we don't know?) might not have wanted him exposed to, who knows the rest, I think he came back and might have felt different as he wasn't 'as missed' the second time, as the first...but as I said, who knows, if he doesn't tell us...right?

Last edited:
Also got to remember he is sort of like a 15 year old going into puberty with the mind of a well, very educated 15 year old, remember what you were like? wonder why his parent(s) want to protect him? worlds just got to be opening up to him in ways he never dreamed of...hope his Mom finds what she needs, to be his Mom, and him, to follow what he needs to...

he had a heck of a lot of posts for a 15 year old, is he some kind of child protege?

Really well read, and learned, young Man...growing up, like all the rest of us...

cookiemonster said:
A mom telling a child to do something other than (ostentatiously, at least...) academics... That's a first.

cookiemonster

You know, I was once on a forum and when I strated spending too much time
on it (particularly the physics section; because of this little addiction and the cosequences, I'm repelling that forum! [sometimes]), my mom became very strict about the amount of time I spend on it.
Though I must admit, it was influencing (negatively) the time I spent on my schoolwork. Then I had to leave the forum. BUT, I have enforced intense internet deciplinary rules so I don't spend too much time on a forum or just the internet in general.

Related to What's the deal with internet addiction and its impact on academic performance?

1. What is a mentat?

A mentat is a fictional character in the book series Dune by Frank Herbert. They are human computers who have been trained to perform complex mental tasks, such as data analysis and strategic planning.

2. Is a mentat a real thing?

No, mentats are not real. They are a fictional concept created by Frank Herbert for his Dune series. However, there are real-life individuals who possess exceptional cognitive abilities and have been referred to as "mentats" by others.

3. Why are mentats no longer talked about?

Mentats are still talked about in the context of the Dune series, but they are not a commonly discussed topic in mainstream media or science. This is because they are not a real phenomenon, and therefore do not have a significant impact on scientific research or advancements.

4. Can humans be trained to become mentats?

No, as mentioned before, mentats are a fictional concept and cannot be trained or created in real life. However, individuals can develop certain cognitive skills through training and practice, which can be beneficial in tasks that require mental acuity.

5. Are there any real-life examples of mentats?

There is no real-life equivalent of a mentat. However, some individuals have exceptional cognitive abilities that have been compared to those of mentats, such as mathematical prodigies or savants. However, these individuals do not possess all the capabilities or powers of a mentat as depicted in the Dune series.