What's the Best Surface for Dancing the 1920's Charleston?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, if you want to dance Charleston on carpet without damaging it, you can buy a large plastic sheet or use a board. If you want to dance Charleston with others, you'll need to find a good leader.
leroyjenkens
I'm starting to learn some 1920's Charleston dancing but I don't really have a good surface to dance on. I have carpeting in my apartment and don't want to damage the carpet or my socks from sliding across it too much. Are there any special shoes that are of a material that would slide across carpet easily? Or maybe there's a dance mat that I can buy that would make it possible to do all the dance moves on without damaging the carpet or my socks? Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how about dancing on a board, or on a plastic sheet you place upon the carpet?

Yeah, you can buy large plastic sheets that are designed to protect carpets from office chair wheels. Check an office supply store.

Is Charleston dancing similar to Lindy Hop? I signed up for a workshop :smile:

Just a large piece of plywood would work. You can apply a layer of varnish if you need it slick.

Ballet shoes might be useful.

hi leroy! :smile:
leroyjenkens said:
I'm starting to learn some 1920's Charleston dancing but I don't really have a good surface to dance on. I have carpeting in my apartment and don't want to damage the carpet or my socks from sliding across it too much. Are there any special shoes that are of a material that would slide across carpet easily? Or maybe there's a dance mat that I can buy that would make it possible to do all the dance moves on without damaging the carpet or my socks? Any ideas?

if you're doing charleston seriously, you should be twisting each ankle in and out on every step, and also swinging the foot sideways slightly

so your foot should be able to slide slightly, both twisting and sideways, and unlike most dances your foot shouldn't necessarily stay where you first put it

if you don't practise it correctly from the start, you'll never get it

carpet gives too much, and also has a grain that makes it resist differently in different directions

(and a mat or sheet on carpet would also give)

i doubt that you can get the right feel for that ankle movement on carpet (with or without a mat or sheet), and you could even injure your ankles by repeatedly trying to correct for the slight give, or by changing from carpet to a proper surface

you should only be practising charleston on a fixed smooth surface, with leather or suede soles (not trainers)

alternatively, are you in it to get girls to watch you, or to dance with you?

if the latter, forget about doing it properly yourself, just learn how to lead it (if you're dong partner as well as solo charleston) …

there's always a shortage of good leaders! :wink:

Cardboard like the gangstas.

And learn to break dance get with the times.

You need a raccoon coat, and don't forget to call your lady friend a flapper girl.

Related to What's the Best Surface for Dancing the 1920's Charleston?

1. What type of surface is best for dancing?

The best surface for dancing is one that is smooth and flat, such as a hardwood or vinyl floor. This allows for easy gliding and movement without the risk of tripping or slipping.

2. Can I dance on carpet or other soft surfaces?

While it is possible to dance on carpet or other soft surfaces, it may not provide the same level of support and stability as a hard surface. It is important to be cautious and aware of any potential hazards when dancing on soft surfaces.

3. Does the type of dance affect the surface needed?

Yes, certain types of dance may require different surfaces. For example, tap dancing may require a harder surface to produce clear sounds, while ballet may require a slightly softer surface for jumps and landings.

4. How can I make a surface suitable for dancing?

If you do not have access to a dedicated dance floor, you can make a temporary surface suitable for dancing by using a tarp or marley floor covering over a smooth and flat surface. You may also use a dance mat or practice board specifically designed for dancing.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when dancing on a surface?

Yes, it is important to always be aware of your surroundings and any potential hazards when dancing. Make sure the surface is free of any debris or liquids that may cause slipping. Also, be mindful of any edges or uneven surfaces that may cause tripping. It is also recommended to wear appropriate dance shoes to prevent any injuries.