What's a good resource for teaching myself Markov chains?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's summer research involving EEG data and the potential use of markov chains in signal processing. They are seeking recommendations for additional resources on markov chains and probability theory. Two book suggestions are made: "Introduction to stochastic processes" by Lawler and "Introduction to Probability Models" by Sheldon Ross.
DeuteriumDude
Hi all,

Over the summer, I am going to be doing some research with EEG. My professor suggested I could do some signal processing of the data using markov chains. I'm not familiar with markov chains, but I think the prof intends to teach me himself. I'd still like to get some background from external sources. Anyone recommend any books or websites?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it that you don't know measure theory?? In that case, I would suggest "Introduction to stochastic processes" by Lawler. It does presuppose a knowledge of probability theory, though...

DeuteriumDude said:
Hi all,

Over the summer, I am going to be doing some research with EEG. My professor suggested I could do some signal processing of the data using markov chains. I'm not familiar with markov chains, but I think the prof intends to teach me himself. I'd still like to get some background from external sources. Anyone recommend any books or websites?

Thanks

You might like "Introduction to Probability Models" by Sheldon Ross. I've got the 9th edition (which is a little old), but it has a lot of examples of applied probability (including markov chains). If you're at a university, you might be able to pick up a copy at the uni library.

Related to What's a good resource for teaching myself Markov chains?

1. What exactly are Markov chains?

Markov chains are mathematical models that are used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems that have a random component. They consist of a set of states and probabilities of transitioning from one state to another.

2. Why are Markov chains useful for self-teaching?

Markov chains are useful for self-teaching because they provide a structured and intuitive approach to understanding complex systems. They also have many real-world applications, making them a valuable skill to have.

3. Where can I find resources for teaching myself Markov chains?

There are many resources available for teaching yourself Markov chains, including online courses, textbooks, and tutorial videos. Some popular options include Coursera, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. How much math background do I need to have to learn Markov chains?

A basic understanding of probability and linear algebra is recommended for learning Markov chains. However, there are resources available that cater to different levels of mathematical knowledge, so it is possible to learn Markov chains with varying levels of math background.

5. Are there any practical applications for Markov chains?

Yes, Markov chains have many practical applications in fields such as finance, physics, biology, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze a wide range of systems, including stock markets, weather patterns, genetic sequences, and computer networks.