Hidden Markov Models: problem to solve for Master's thesis

In summary: Your name]In summary, the individual is seeking advice on potential research topics for their graduate thesis in the field of Hidden Markov Models. They have a strong background in mathematics and are interested in applying HMMs to areas such as Natural Language Processing and Process Mining. Suggestions for potential research could include addressing limitations of current HMM models, exploring new applications for HMMs, or investigating the underlying principles and assumptions of HMMs. Ultimately, the individual should choose a topic that aligns with their interests and skills in order to make their research more impactful.
hcl14
I apologize for asking this actually fuzzy question, but I really hope I can get some useful advice.

This year I'm finishing a Master's degree in the field of mathematics. I want to make some research and write a graduate thesis that (perhaps) could be interesting to my potential employer in the field of machine learning (data analytics, software development, etc) and will give me some really useful experience in "actual" tasks. My supervisor, after listening to me, let me propose my own topic in the field of Hidden Markov Models (Previously I was doing courseworks on Markov chains (coupling)).

So, currently I'm studying HMM applications in Natural Langauge Processing and Process Mining to find if I can do any research there and write my own project (I'm mathematician, so I need to perform some mathematical research or at least adapt an existing mathematical approach).

I'll be very grateful to everyone who will give me any advice or guidelines on the possible problem for me to solve in my thesis (HMM).

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your situation with us. As a fellow scientist, I can definitely understand your desire to conduct meaningful research and gain valuable experience in your field.

First of all, congratulations on completing your Master's degree in mathematics! That is a great achievement and I'm sure it has equipped you with strong analytical skills that will be beneficial in your future research.

From what you have shared, it seems like you have a good understanding of Hidden Markov Models and their applications in Natural Language Processing and Process Mining. My advice would be to focus on a specific problem or application within these fields that interests you the most. This will not only make your research more engaging for you, but it will also make it more relevant to potential employers.

One possible approach could be to look into the limitations of current HMM models in these areas and see if you can come up with a new or improved method to address those limitations. This would involve conducting a literature review to identify gaps in the existing research and then proposing your own solution or approach.

Another idea could be to apply HMMs to a different field or problem that has not been explored before. This could potentially open up new avenues for research and contribute to the advancement of HMMs in general.

In terms of performing mathematical research, you could consider exploring the underlying principles and assumptions of HMMs and how they can be modified or extended to improve their performance.

Overall, my advice would be to choose a problem or application that you are passionate about and that aligns with your skills and interests. This will not only make your research more enjoyable, but it will also make it more impactful.

I wish you all the best in your research and I'm sure you will come up with a great thesis topic. Good luck!

Related to Hidden Markov Models: problem to solve for Master's thesis

What is a Hidden Markov Model (HMM)?

A Hidden Markov Model is a statistical model used to analyze sequential data, where the underlying system is assumed to be a Markov process with unobservable (hidden) states. It is widely used in various fields, such as speech recognition, bioinformatics, and finance.

What are the main applications of HMMs?

HMMs have various applications, including speech recognition, natural language processing, bioinformatics, and financial market analysis. They are also used in predicting customer behavior, weather forecasting, and anomaly detection.

What are the key components of an HMM?

An HMM has two main components: the hidden states and the observable symbols. The hidden states represent the underlying system, and the observable symbols are the outputs or observations of the system. Additionally, an HMM also has transition probabilities between states and emission probabilities for each state-symbol pair.

What is the goal of using HMMs?

The goal of using HMMs is to model and predict the hidden states of a system based on the observed data. This can be useful in understanding the underlying process and making predictions about future states.

What are some challenges in using HMMs?

One of the main challenges in using HMMs is determining the appropriate number of hidden states and choosing the right model parameters. Additionally, HMMs can also be computationally expensive, especially for larger datasets. Interpretation and visualization of the results can also be challenging.