Learning Russian: Self-Teaching Tips & Resources

• Thread starter cpman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Russian
In summary: It's free and really good for self-teaching. It has a variety of exercises and lessons for different levels. Another good resource is Rosetta Stone, though it is a paid program. It uses a more immersive approach to teaching languages. Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of learning foreign languages, particularly Spanish, Russian, and German. The person has achieved fluency in Spanish and is now interested in learning Russian. They have started by teaching themselves the Cyrillic alphabet and are seeking recommendations for resources for self-teaching a foreign language. The conversation also mentions the challenges of learning a new language as an adult and suggests using programs like Pimsleur, Duolingo, and Rosetta Stone to aid in the learning process
cpman
Hello everyone!
I'm really interested in learning forigen languages.
I'm taking Spanish in school, and have achieved enough fluency to be able to participate in most conversations.
Now, I'd like to start learning Russian.
I've started with teaching myself the Cyrillic alphabet. Is this a good place to start?
Also, do any of you have suggestions for useful resources for self-teaching a forigen language?
I'd also like to self-teach German as well.
Thank you for any ideas to help me learn more languages.

Science news on Phys.org
I've tried a lot of foreign language programs, and the best one seems to be Pimsleur. I have the Japanese version and have been learning it for a few months on my way to work. I drive 30 minutes to work and every lesson is 30 minutes, so it works out pretty good. But learning a language so different from English seems like it can take a while. I have 90 lessons to go through and I've had to repeat lessons so many times, in the 2 or so months I've been doing it, I'm only up to level 17.
Here's an example of it.

However, if you want to learn how to write it as well, I'd suggest another resource. Pimsleur seems to be for people who plan to travel to another country and want to be able to get around using the native language. I don't think you'll become fluent with Pimsleur. To become fluent in a foreign language seems to me like completing a language program is only the beginning. I think you pretty much have to change your whole lifestyle for several years to become fluent in a foreign language. It's a tall order.

Last edited by a moderator:
cpman said:
Hello everyone!
I'm really interested in learning forigen languages.
I'm taking Spanish in school, and have achieved enough fluency to be able to participate in most conversations.
Now, I'd like to start learning Russian.
I've started with teaching myself the Cyrillic alphabet. Is this a good place to start?
Also, do any of you have suggestions for useful resources for self-teaching a forigen language?
Thank you for any ideas to help me learn more languages.
When learning a language, one must start with the alphabet, so learning Cyrillic (Kirilitsa; Кириллица) is important, but so is learning the pronunciation with it's nuances and irregularities/exceptions.

Learning a new language after your teens is difficult. Acquiring fluency in a foreign language requires 'rewiring' your brain. The very young acquire language skills with considerable ease because the brain is very 'plastic'. That 'plasticity' rapidly diminishes with age as 'free' neural paths connect with the majority.

cpman said:

Check out Duolingo for german.

Related to Learning Russian: Self-Teaching Tips & Resources

1. How difficult is it to learn Russian?

Learning Russian can be a challenging but rewarding experience. It is estimated that it takes around 1,100 hours of study to reach a conversational level in Russian. However, with dedication and consistent practice, it is certainly achievable for self-learners.

2. What are some tips for self-teaching Russian?

Some tips for self-teaching Russian include setting specific goals, immersing yourself in the language through movies, music, and books, using flashcards and spaced repetition techniques, and finding a language exchange partner or tutor for practice and feedback.

3. Are there any resources available for self-teaching Russian?

Yes, there are plenty of resources available for self-teaching Russian. Some popular options include online courses and apps such as Duolingo and Rosetta Stone, textbooks and workbooks, language exchange websites, and YouTube channels specifically geared towards learning Russian.

4. How long does it take to become fluent in Russian?

The time it takes to become fluent in Russian can vary depending on the individual's learning style and dedication. It is estimated that it takes around 2,200 hours of study to reach fluency in Russian. However, this can vary and should not be used as a strict guideline.

5. Is it necessary to learn the Cyrillic alphabet when learning Russian?

Yes, it is necessary to learn the Cyrillic alphabet when learning Russian. The Cyrillic alphabet is used in Russian and other Slavic languages, and it is important to have a solid understanding of it in order to read, write, and pronounce words accurately. Fortunately, the Cyrillic alphabet is relatively easy to learn and can be mastered with practice.