Teaching Myself From Rindler's Relativity Book

In summary, a recent graduate is planning to teach themselves special and general relativity during their off semester before starting grad school. They have found a book with good explanations, but are struggling to find practice problems with solutions. They are seeking suggestions on how to practice in a self-teaching scenario and are aware of the publisher's website stating that a solutions manual is only available for instructors. They are also advised to check their reasoning and seek help online if needed.
IDumb
Hi,

I graduated undergrad in December, and plan to start grad school in the Fall. In the off semester, I thought it would be fun to try to teach myself special/general relativity because my undergrad didn't really do it. I have looked at a few books, and I have really liked the explanations given by Rindler's Relativity: Special, General, and Cosmological. However, I think it would be really useful to have practice problems WITH SOLUTIONS to teach myself. Rindler's book has some problems that look really good... but I can't find a solution manual anywhere. Does anyone have suggestions on... how to practice problems in a self-teaching scenario? This is the first time I've tried to learn a subject this big without a class to give problems/solutions - and I'm finding it tough. The publisher's website says there is a solutions manual available to instructors (which would be great), but I doubt they would let me have it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work through the problems in the book - see how you go.
By this stage in your education you should know what it feels like to get the answer - but if you have doubts, you can always post your working here and someone can assess it for you.

Mostly you just need to check your reasoning, and that can be tricky when starting out with relativity.

You may want to check how the publisher can tell you are not an instructor.
Even so - solutions and people asking for help will probably be online already.

Last edited:

Related to Teaching Myself From Rindler's Relativity Book

1. What is Rindler's Relativity Book?

Rindler's Relativity Book is a textbook written by physicist Wolfgang Rindler that covers the basics of Einstein's theory of relativity. It is a popular resource for self-study and is often used in undergraduate and graduate courses.

2. Is Rindler's Relativity Book suitable for self-study?

Yes, Rindler's Relativity Book is a comprehensive and accessible resource for those looking to learn about relativity on their own. It includes clear explanations, examples, and exercises to help readers understand the concepts.

3. Do I need a strong background in physics to understand Rindler's Relativity Book?

While a basic understanding of physics is helpful, Rindler's Relativity Book is written in a way that is easy for beginners to follow. It starts with the fundamentals and builds upon them, making it accessible to those without a strong physics background.

4. How can I use Rindler's Relativity Book to teach myself?

To effectively use Rindler's Relativity Book for self-study, it is recommended to read each chapter thoroughly and work through the provided exercises. It may also be helpful to supplement with other resources, such as online lectures or discussions with other learners.

5. Can Rindler's Relativity Book help me prepare for a physics exam?

Yes, Rindler's Relativity Book covers all the necessary topics and provides practice problems to help you prepare for exams. However, it is always beneficial to consult with a teacher or instructor for additional guidance and clarification.