What to expect with COVID19, double jabbed AZ

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
In summary: I've done the Pfizer, the full cousre. Got Covid in May - my antibodies shot up from 700BAU to >2070BAU(upper limit of the scale, could be much higher, TrimmericS test).Suicidal headaches for 4 days straight and runny nose. Slightly elevated temperature for 1 day. The headaches were of the cluster headaches type. You don't want to know what a cluster headache is.Got it again this September - lost all sense of smell for 1 month, and was at 50% for another month. Now is 100%. A bit of high body temp for a day. No headaches the second time. I am not overly impressed by the vaccines but still glad
pinball1970
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Despite my best efforts to avoid it I am fairly certain I have covid. Positive LFT following severe headache and other symptoms.
Either atty or Yggg posted a tweet (from an epidemiologist I think) that said everyone will eventually get COVID19. It is inevitable. My goal was to get to the booster before that happened. I booked last week for December 8th so I got close. What to expect from the Vaccine is already on pf so in light of the above I thought I would post this.

Day1 7th Nov. Headache, unusual for me.
Day2 Same plus fatigue, terrible sleep possible fever
Day3 6am Blinding headache, zero energy, aching limbs. Temp 38.8C. decided to LFT. Positive, isolate. Wiped out by 2pm. Bed
Day4 Banging head aching still and dehydrated but better than day 3 overall. Drinking lots of water paracetamol. A little fluid on my lungs but no real cough. Breathing not hindered as yet (I'm asthmatic). I will PCR tomorrow.
Day 5 same, slight cough (Edit: complete missing days)
Day 6 slightly better
Day 7 Better again but lost some taste
Day 8 PCR positive. Feeling much better.

7 days pretty much done. At least as bad as flu but manageable with water paracetamol and asthma drugs if required. It's worth noting I did not use my Salbutamol (blue reliever ) just my prescribed steroid. I will put this in the 'stunning effectiveness of the Vaccine' thread too.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Informative
  • Wow
Likes rsk, SolarisOne, Wrichik Basu and 6 others
Biology news on Phys.org
I hope you pull through this fairly quickly. You must be better off being double-jabbed than not all.

Best wishes.

Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
PeroK said:
I hope you pull through this fairly quickly. You must be better off being double-jabbed than not all.

Best wishes.
Thanks. Yes, very glad.

Likes EPR, nsaspook and PeroK
pinball1970 said:
Summary:: Despite my best efforts to avoid it I am fairly certain I have covid. Positive LFT following severe headache and other symptoms.

I will PCR tomorrow.
So not test yet? Test will be tomorrow, day 5?

Astronuc said:
Yes. I ordered a kit from the NHS website so should be here tomorrow latest. Lateral flow yesterday was positive (very quickly)

• Informative
Likes atyy
pinball1970 said:
Yes. I ordered a kit from the NHS website so should be here tomorrow latest. Lateral flow yesterday was positive (very quickly)
How quickly will the turnaround for the test results be?

Astronuc said:
How quickly will the turnaround for the test results be?
I've just checked the mail and does not actually say. It says stay put till I get the results though.
I've agreed to do the antibody test as well.

• Informative
Likes atyy
I have done the Pfizer, the full cousre. Got Covid in May - my antibodies shot up from 700BAU to >2070BAU(upper limit of the scale, could be much higher, TrimmericS test).

Suicidal headaches for 4 days straight and runny nose. Slightly elevated temperature for 1 day. The headaches were of the cluster headaches type. You don't want to know what a cluster headache is.

Got it again this September - lost all sense of smell for 1 month, and was at 50% for another month. Now is 100%. A bit of high body temp for a day. No headaches the second time. I am not overly impressed by the vaccines but still glad I made it through twice. Yes, everyone will get it, most multiple times. I hope being able to sense smells is not going to be a luxury 3 years from now.

• Informative
Likes atyy
Get well soon! Glad you got this after vaccination.

Likes pinball1970
EPR said:
I have done the Pfizer, the full cousre. Got Covid in May - my antibodies shot up from 700BAU to >2070BAU(upper limit of the scale, could be much higher, TrimmericS test).

Suicidal headaches for 4 days straight and runny nose. Slightly elevated temperature for 1 day. The headaches were of the cluster headaches type. You don't want to know what a cluster headache is.

Got it again this September - lost all sense of smell for 1 month, and was at 50% for another month. Now is 100%. A bit of high body temp for a day. No headaches the second time. I am not overly impressed by the vaccines but still glad I made it through twice.Yes, everyone will get it, most multiple times. I hope being able to sense smells is not going to be a luxury 3 years from now.
Vaccinated, then Covid twice within less than 6 months? Were you diagnosed by pcr both times? I'm surprised just because I'd expect that after vaccination and one infection, you'd have enough antibodies not to be infected again so soon.

Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
atyy said:
Vaccinated, then Covid twice within less than 6 months? Were you diagnosed by pcr both times? I'm surprised just because I'd expect that after vaccination and one infection, you'd have enough antibodies not to be infected again so soon.
Positive PCR test on May 14th(second dose administered on March 14th).
The second time I was abroad(Turkey) and only lost all smell. Turkey does not allow drug stores to sell antigen tests and those are done only in hospitals. I could not afford to be locked up in Turkey and skipped doing the test.
Both times I observed zero precautions and was active in getting the disease(smoking multiple hookah in bars, when it was forbidden). I wanted the added protection of getting the virus itself.
I feel more confident in my immunity now.

EPR said:
Positive PCR test on May 14th(second dose administered on March 14th).
The second time I was abroad(Turkey) and only lost all smell. Turkey does not allow drug stores to sell antigen tests and those are done only in hospitals. I could not afford to be locked up in Turkey and skipped doing the test.
Both times I observed zero precautions and was active in getting the disease(smoking multiple hookah in bars, when it was forbidden). I wanted the added protection of getting the virus itself.
I feel more confident in my immunity now.
Maybe September was not Covid (since no test)? A student of mine (young guy) got Covid (pcr+) last year before vaccination and was fine, then he got vaccinated (one dose mRNA, which is how it's done in Singapore if you've had Covid before), then he got a terrible illness which he thought must be Covid since it was like a really terrible cold/flu/whatever. But when tested he was pcr-negative, so it was something else the last time.

Likes pinball1970
atyy said:
Maybe September was not Covid (since no test)? A student of mine (young guy) got Covid (pcr+) last year before vaccination and was fine, then he got vaccinated (one dose mRNA, which is how it's done in Singapore if you've had Covid before), then he got a terrible illness which he thought must be Covid since like a really terrible cold/flu/whatever. But when tested he was pcr-negative, so it was something else the last time.
One of the smarter 25%? (EDIT. 19% the 25% is health care professionals https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2412)
https://www.rferl.org/a/bulgaria-vaccine-doctors-nurses/31553559.html

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes atyy
It would be weird as I got it at the end of August and here at that time of the year the temperature is above 30 deg C. Flu can cause complete lack of smell but we had no flu then. Flu season here in Bulgaria starts in November.
Testing isn't very reliable either. Negative tests sometimes, when symptoms are present, turn positive on the 5th test.
If you have symptoms and you are negative, the only way to be certain is to run 8 tests. And hope you don't get a false positive.

The antibody count tests seem a reliable tool. They give consistent readings.

EPR said:
It would be weird as I got it at the end of August and here at that time of the year the temperature is above 30 deg C. Flu can cause complete lack of smell but we had no flu then. Flu season here in Bulgaria starts in November.
Testing isn't very reliable either. Negative tests sometimes, when symptoms are present, turn positive on the 5th test.
Are health care professionals now behind the roll out?
Bulgaria has one of the lowest Vaccine uptakes in Europe according to this article. How accurate is this from your experiences?

pinball1970 said:
Are health care professionals now behind the roll out?
Bulgaria has one of the lowest Vaccine uptakes in Europe according to this article. How accurate is this from your experiences?

Yes. The pandemic is raging in full force. I consider it a plus that lots of folks here choose the natural way. We can compare the immunity.

The Delta is fast spreading and is "vaccinating" more strongly than among the people who are willing to get the jab.

The Delta will leave no one unvaccinated. Some will get it again and get better immune responses the second time.

It is now impossible not to get the Delta. So vaccinations will keep going till everyone lives through the virus. Vaccinated or not. Naturally, those vaccinated will have better odds. Long term immunity is key or we will lose the battle and the world will be in ruins in a few years.

• Wow
Likes PeroK
EPR said:
It is now impossible not to get the Delta. So vaccinations will keep going till everyone lives through the virus. Vaccinated or not. Naturally, those vaccinated will have better odds
It is hard to compare natural immunity when you are on a ventilator.

Last edited:
Likes SolarisOne and russ_watters
We can compare the longevity. I am disappointed with the humoral immunity gained with the vaccines. Cd8+ cells do not perform as expected. It could be that the virus elicit a more definite T-cell response that lasts longer. We will find out soon.

EPR said:
We can compare the longevity. I am disappointed with the humoral immunity gained with the vaccines. Cd8+ cells do not perform as expected. It could be that the virus elicit a more definite T-cell response that lasts longer. We will find out soon.
I have posted this on a few threads.

UK Jan pre double jab and in lock down. 1500 deaths per day, 40,000 cases per day.
UK Nov high Vaccine % in adults. OUT of lockdown since July, 150 deaths from 40,000 cases per day. Hospital admissions 1/4 of Jan.

Likes SolarisOne and atyy
pinball1970 said:
I have posted this on a few threads.

UK Jan pre double jab and in lock down. 1500 deaths per day, 40,000 cases per day.
UK Nov high Vaccine % in adults. OUT of lockdown since July, 150 deaths from 40,000 cases per day. Hospital admissions 1/4 of Jan.
Yup. Different strain, different rules.

I am angry why they did not release a Delta jab, given that an adjusted mRNA vaccine can be readied in 1 day.

Were they afraid of confusing the immune system by introducing a slightly modified antigen? Unlikely.

The UK population will get the Delta and gain immunity. Some will die. Perhaps 10 x fewer people. Some will get it again and die. Get another jab, some will die again, then get another jab and repeat.
The fact that this particular type of vaccine doesn't stop transmission spells doom for the plan to end the pandemic. It dooms the world as well.

But fewer and fewer people dying could mean a return to a somewhat normal situation if the virus doesn't mutate too much.

EPR said:
The UK population will get the Delta and gain immunity. Some will die. Perhaps 10 x fewer people. Some will get it again and die. Get another jab, some will die again, then get another jab and repeat.
The fact that this particular type of vaccine doesn't stop transmission spells doom for the plan to end the pandemic. It dooms the world as well.
This is getting more left field.
I am posting from my bed not from ICU, take heart from that. 54 year old male with asthma requiring regular steroids with COVID19 (probably)
The Vaccines work. For how long? I don't know, perhaps every 12 months post booster another jab. The countries that cannot do that will need the west to help with that.
Spanish flu did not mutate itself out of existence, everyone got it and either died (50M) or survived and gained immunity. 103 years later we are still here WITH H1N1 but at 7.8 billion population (1918 was less than 2Billion)
We survived.

Likes SolarisOne, PeroK and russ_watters
EPR said:
Yup. Different strain, different rules.

I am angry why they did not release a Delta jab, given that an adjusted mRNA vaccine can be readied in 1 day.

Were they afraid of confusing the immune system by introducing a slightly modified antigen? Unlikely.
It's not different 'rules' because of the variants. The numbers are different because of the effectiveness of the vaccines.

pinball1970 said:
It's not different 'rules' because of the variants. The numbers are different because of the effectiveness of the vaccines.
The new rules are getting a booster shot due to Delta requiring substantially higher level of antibodies.

EPR said:
The new rules are getting a booster shot due to Delta requiring substantially higher level of antibodies.
Citation?

EPR said:
So DELTA is worse yes? Requiring more antibodies? Then why has the death rate plummeted as DELTA cases have reached 40,000 per day in the UK? Nearly as high and for much longer than the ALPHA spike? 96% Cases are now DELTA with DELTA ' plus ' gaining momentum.

pinball1970 said:
It is hard to compare natural immunity when you are on a ventilator.
I realize the person you are responding to is taking a break, but I still feel like this warrants an expansion: The simplest and probably most important metric for protection is death. There's a [natural] selection bias in trying to measure the protection from death via natural immunity in that the people you are most interested in protecting are already dead and can no longer be observed to see if their natural immunity helps.

Likes Astronuc and pinball1970
I had my own little COVID scare a couple of weeks ago when I got about the worst throat infection I've ever had (that then moved into my sinuses/nasal passages). It didn't have much in common with COVID symptoms except the extreme weakness and headache (no fever, limited cough, no chest congestion). I got tested just in case, due to a nagging girlfriend need to visit a pharma client, both rapid and PCR tests, negative.

Feel better @pinball1970 !

Likes SolarisOne, Astronuc, BillTre and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
I realize the person you are responding to is taking a break, but I still feel like this warrants an expansion: The simplest and probably most important metric for protection is death. There's a [natural] selection bias in trying to measure the protection from death via natural immunity in that the people you are most interested in protecting are already dead and can no longer be observed to see if their natural immunity helps.
I did actually put 'or dead' at the end of my response but thought bit was in bad taste so I edited it.
If he wanted a natural comparison he could always check out Bulgaria three main spikes of cases with the associated death spikes they marry up well. Little to no Vaccine.
UK us the opposite.

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
I had my own little COVID scare a couple of weeks ago when I got about the worst throat infection I've ever had (that then moved into my sinuses/nasal passages). It didn't have much in common with COVID symptoms except the extreme weakness and headache (no fever, limited cough, no chest congestion). I got tested just in case, due to a nagging girlfriend need to visit a pharma client, both rapid and PCR tests, negative.

Feel better @pinball1970 !
Those nagging other halfs save lives!
Glad it was negative.
I'm good, over the worst I hope.
Thanks a lot

Likes Astronuc, dlgoff, BillTre and 1 other person
Astronuc said:
Test positive but totally fine now. My ten day isolation is up Thurs

Likes atyy, Astronuc, BillTre and 1 other person
Delta is spreading in NZ, it -was- contained in the Auckland region but of course the border was penetrated and those who shouldn't have passed through to other regions of NZ. We've given up on the elimination stragedy and will soon move to the 'traffic light' system (https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-levels-and-updates/covid-19-protection/). It wouldn't surprise me by year end I've caught delta (I've had two Pfizer shots).

@StevieTNZ -Your comment about catching Covid is very astute. I believe there will be a MMWR from the US CDC on the very probable endemicity of Covid.

Covid is going the route of other previous pandemics - like Influenza. The short version is: almost everyone will have caught Covid at some point in the next few years. After that it will be very like modern flu. outbreaks. Worldwide minimum 50k deaths per year, lots of lost time from work, periodic booster shots, etc.

Harvard med school white paper on what it will be like when Covid goes endemic:
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/what-will-it-be-like-when-covid-19-becomes-endemic/

Likes morrobay and pinball1970
Back