How does a brain infection alter one's sense of time?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Perception
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's a weird story I read about someone who lost their sense of time.
In this case their ability to sense time was altered by a brain infection.
The person's experiences are interesting. Time is important in tying things together mentally. Meanwhile, physical time marches on in their outside world and imposes its temporal structure on brain functioning through the senses.

In addition to my difficulty perceiving short spans of time, my comprehension of longer periods of time was also affected. I referred to every past event in my life, whether it was my doctor’s appointment the day before or an audition I’d taken years ago, as having happened “yesterday.” I couldn’t remember what date, month or even year it was. I forgot what times of day were appropriate to call friends and family on the phone, and I didn’t understand what people meant when they said they were “busy.” Bedridden and unable to comprehend time, my illness seemed to drag on for eternity with no end in sight.

The affected person was a musician, but there was not a lot about its affect on perceiving or making music. Music is tightly tied to time. ??

They recovered to some degree.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Biology news on Phys.org
Losing track of time is usually associated with dementia. It would seem this may not affect one's sense of rhythm since at least for musicians music time might be more reflexive than cognitive. I suppose it is possible that he suffered a mini-stroke which mostly resolved itself.

What was his age? I know as you age weird things occur and then go away. I went through a period of uncharacteristic forgetfulness or attentiveness.

Likes pinball1970, russ_watters and BillTre
BillTre said:
Here's a weird story I read about someone who lost their sense of time.
In this case their ability to sense time was altered by a brain infection.
I'm glad they are recovering and mostly back to normal. This was interesting:
Interestingly, the Journal of Neuropsychiatry study confirms that using a metronome can help brain trauma patients recover their sense of timing. “The therapeutic value of temporally based interventions (e.g., rhythmic cueing, slow rhythmic drumming) has been demonstrated for multiple neuropsychiatric conditions.”

Six years after my recovery, my memory overall is not as sharp as it was before my illness. I use to-do lists to keep myself on track. I triple-check the rehearsal dates on emails I send my students to make sure I haven’t listed the wrong day or month, although sometimes mistakes still slip through. I also sometimes struggle to remember how far back events in my past happened. I’ll catch myself wondering if I had the oil in my car changed three months ago or a year ago. But every time I take my viola out of its case, I feel grateful to be able to think like a musician again.

I deal with brain trauma patients in field EMS fairly often who lose short term memory (and there are good tests for that), but have never run into one who lost a sense of time. Thanks.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
gleem said:
I went through a period of uncharacteristic forgetfulness or attentiveness.
Was it from a TIA? Did you ever figure out what might have caused it?

berkeman said:
Was it from a TIA? Did you ever figure out what might have caused it?
I do not know. Everything else seemed normal. At that time I think I was under a little more stress than usual.

berkeman said:
Was it from a TIA?
Do NOT ignore. See a neurologist NOW.

Bystander said:
Do NOT ignore. See a neurologist NOW.
It sounds like it happened to @gleem a while ago. After a while it can be difficult to detect TIAs, depending on what kind of damage (if any) gets left behind.

This episode was about 13 years ago.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
berkeman said:
Was it from a TIA?
TIAs typically produce sudden symptoms which are usually quite noticeable and severe. I would think that like everything there are degrees of ischemia that might produce some symptoms with reduced noticeable effects.

For example, I had a grandmother with dementia who once told my mother that there were a lot of ants crawling on the wall. My mother dismissed it as silly. One symptom of a TIA which I learned decades later is the production of a myriad of floaters in the visual field as well as more serious conditions such as loss of vision.

I am trying to be aware of things associated with dementia or TIA . Aging by itself carries a normal deterioration of one's mental health and mentality. Since I have a well-connected family I can also rely on their observations if things are not what they used to be. Although I do take advantage of this to be a bit more cranky than usual because well old people get cranky.:smile:

• Informative
Likes BillTre
gleem said:
TIAs typically produce sudden symptoms which are usually quite noticeable and severe.
I've seen the gamut from brief, slight impairments (almost like a petit mal seizure) to full-blown stroke symptoms that all of sudden subsided for no apparent reason. I've also had patients who told me (when I'm taking medical history information due to some unrelated issue) that they have had their doctor tell them that there is evidence of TIAs in their brain, even though they never noticed an issue. Maybe those happened when they were sleeping or something...

• Informative
Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
I've also had patients who told me (when I'm taking medical history information due to some unrelated issue) that they have had their doctor tell them that there is evidence of TIAs in their brain, even though they never noticed an issue.
Presumably from imaging studies of the brain.

Likes Bystander and berkeman

1. What is a brain infection and how can it affect one's sense of time?

A brain infection occurs when harmful pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, or fungi, invade the brain tissue, leading to inflammation and various neurological impairments. These infections can impact the brain's ability to process information and regulate bodily functions. When regions of the brain responsible for perception, cognitive functions, and processing temporal information are affected, it can alter how an individual perceives and experiences time, making it seem to pass slower or faster than usual.

2. Which areas of the brain, when infected, most influence changes in time perception?

The areas of the brain most involved in time perception include the frontal lobes, particularly the prefrontal cortex, and the temporal lobes. Infections that impact these areas can disrupt how time is perceived. For instance, damage to the prefrontal cortex can impair one's ability to judge the duration of events, while damage to the temporal lobes can affect the processing of sensory inputs and the recall of memories, which are crucial for placing events within a temporal context.

3. Are changes in time perception due to brain infection permanent?

The permanence of changes in time perception due to brain infection largely depends on the severity of the infection, the areas of the brain affected, and the timeliness and effectiveness of the treatment provided. In some cases, if the infection is mild and promptly treated, the alterations in time perception can be temporary. However, severe infections that cause extensive damage to brain tissue may result in more permanent changes.

4. What are the common symptoms of a brain infection that might indicate altered time perception?

Common symptoms of a brain infection that might also indicate alterations in time perception include confusion, difficulty concentrating, memory problems, unusual or erratic behavior, headaches, fever, photophobia (sensitivity to light), and possibly seizures. If someone experiences these symptoms, particularly in combination with altered perceptions of time, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately.

5. How are brain infections that alter time perception diagnosed and treated?

Diagnosing brain infections involves a combination of medical history assessment, physical examinations, and diagnostic tests such as MRI or CT scans, lumbar punctures (spinal taps) to analyze cerebrospinal fluid, and blood tests. Treatment typically involves antimicrobial or antiviral medications to combat the infection, corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, and supportive care to manage symptoms. Rehabilitation therapies may be necessary to help recover cognitive functions and correct time perception issues if they persist after the infection is controlled.