What sort of schools should I be looking at?

• Schools
  • Thread starter colldood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools Sort
In summary, the expert believes that if the applicant has a good GPA and has done research in the past, they have a good chance of getting into a good school. However, the applicant is worried that they are just not good enough, and taking a fifth year may help.
colldood
Hello PF. I am finishing my third year of a Math and Physics program in Canada. I am getting very anxious about my marks and grad school, and what sorts of schools I should look into applying to / expect to actually get into. I'm asking partially because my friends always seem to be doing significantly better than me, so I'm really doubting whether I should even stay in the field. I really do enjoy mathematical physics and I want to study it (for a living if things work out), but I'm worried I'm just not good enough to get anywhere. I feel like no matter how hard I try, I am simply horrible at tests/exams and do poorly on them. So:

My GPA has been a consistent 3.7 throughout the years. I've been receiving a renewable entrance scholarship each year (if that is relevant). I worked with a professor in a math REU-type thing last summer (but we didn't do any serious research). This year I will be working for a physics prof and it will probably be more serious (math is hard to do anything in really as an undergrad).

I'm considering taking a 5th year, to get more research experience/ better reference letters (comments on whether this is a good idea would also be appreciated).

So the question is, am I doomed? What sort of schools might I expect to get into (assuming I get a good GRE score -- probably in math actually, in which case I'd be applying for mathematical physics) with this kind of GPA and three consecutive summers of research (with possibly research courses in the next two school years). Which schools are longshots? Which ones are impossible?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on how good your undergraduate university is considered. You haven't really said anything about that. I'd suspect that getting a 3.7 at a top university and getting positive references from professors well known in your field.

Also Isn't 3.7 very good? I'm from Australia so our grading system is different, but I thought that 3.7 was good.

Hi, I just wanted to ask which school are you in I'm guessing one of McGill, Waterloo, Toronto

Yes I wanted to try to stay a bit anonymous but it's one of the top schools in math and physics here.

I understand your anxiety and concerns about your academic performance and future in the field of mathematical physics. It is important to remember that grades and test scores are not the only factors that determine success in graduate school and beyond. Your passion for the subject and your dedication to research are also important factors that can make a difference in your academic and professional journey.

In terms of schools, I would suggest looking into programs that have a strong focus on mathematical physics and offer opportunities for research and hands-on experience. It may also be beneficial to reach out to professors or current graduate students in these programs to get a better understanding of their research interests and the overall environment of the program.

Your GPA of 3.7 is a solid foundation and shows your academic aptitude. It is also great that you have been able to secure research opportunities, which will strengthen your application and provide valuable experience. Taking a fifth year to gain more research experience and improve your reference letters can also be a good idea, as it will give you a chance to further develop your skills and showcase your potential to graduate schools.

It is difficult to say which schools may be longshots or impossible for you to get into without knowing more about your specific research interests and the competitiveness of the programs you are considering. However, I would encourage you to apply to a range of schools, including some that may be considered more competitive, as you never know what opportunities may arise.

Remember, your worth as a scientist is not solely determined by your grades or where you go to graduate school. Your passion, dedication, and hard work will ultimately shape your success in the field of mathematical physics. Keep pursuing your interests and don't let doubts or comparisons with your peers discourage you. Best of luck in your academic and professional endeavors.

Related to What sort of schools should I be looking at?

1. What is the best type of school for my child?

The best type of school for your child depends on their individual needs, interests, and learning style. Some children may thrive in a traditional public school setting, while others may do better in a private or charter school with a specialized curriculum. It's important to research and visit different types of schools to find the best fit for your child.

2. Should I consider a school with a specific educational philosophy?

Yes, it can be beneficial to consider a school with a specific educational philosophy that aligns with your values and goals for your child's education. Some common educational philosophies include Montessori, Waldorf, and Reggio Emilia. These schools often have unique approaches to teaching and learning that may suit your child's needs and interests.

3. How important is the school's location?

The location of a school can be important for various reasons. Consider the commute time and transportation options available to your child. Also, the community and environment surrounding the school may also play a role in your child's education and overall experience.

4. What should I look for during a school visit?

During a school visit, you should pay attention to the school's facilities, resources, and teaching methods. Observe how the teachers interact with students and if the students seem engaged and happy. Additionally, ask questions about the curriculum, extracurricular activities, and support services available to students.

5. How can I find information about a school's academic performance?

You can find information about a school's academic performance by researching their test scores and graduation rates. Many schools also have websites or reports that detail their academic achievements and programs. You can also reach out to current or former students and parents to get their perspective on the school's academic performance.