What should I do with my incomplete undergraduate degree and personal struggles?

• Thread starter mmapcpro
  • Start date
In summary, the person has degrees in engineering physics and computer science from a previous school, but is now enrolled in school again and has personal problems. They are considering completing the physics degree at their current school, which would be about 66 credits short of an engineering degree, or starting over as a sophomore and completing the degree. They also have $57,000 in student loans from the previous 90 credits.
mmapcpro
I started my undergrad in 1999 in Engineering Physics. I was also working on a minor in computer science. I earned about 90 credits with a 3.93 gpa. I had some personal problems and I left school.

Now I am enrolled in school again, but not sure what to do. The school that is local to me (relocating is not realistic) offers a Physics degree that is administered by the Liberal Arts and Sciences department. They also offer engineering degrees that are administered by the college of engineering. As such, a lot of my courses from my former Engineering Physics program don't count towards either degree...it's all messed up.

I'm going to be 38 next month, and I don't even have a bachelor's degree yet. I don't see physics grad school as a realistic option, given I don't think I really want to commit to 5-7 years of a grad student standard of living, and then probably 6 years post-doc after that.

However, I could complete the Physics BS with about 66 more credits. An engineering degree, because they have such strict guidelines for course transfers, would still have me about 85-90 credits short.

I also have a criminal record that I have added to during these dark years of personal destruction. But that is another issue, and I don't think I'm prepared to accept that it will be impossible for me to work. I have changed my life, and I want to try to move forward.

I also already have $57,000 in student loans from the previous 90 credits I earned. I'm at a state school now, so it's A LOT cheaper...but still.

I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and start back as a sophomore engineering student and just get it done, no matter if i graduate with 180 credits. Or if I should complete the Physics degree and apply for an engineering masters program.

What I DON'T want to do is convince myself that this will be too hard, and give up and get a degree in something like General Studies.

Am I too screwed up to do anything with this mess?

Physics news on Phys.org
My $0.02: suck it up and go with engineering. You're going to be in much better shape to get a job with engineering. Grad school is still a possibility if you still want to go further, but at least you'll have a marketable degree if you choose to start working instead.

IMO, an engineering BS is more flexible than a MS physics degree.

Stick with it, and best of luck to you!

I guess another 2.5-3 years, making me 40-41, will only add that much more distance between myself and those felonies. The school I'm enrolled in only offers engineering programs in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, and Computer Science. Is it insane to think that I can work in Aerospace with felonies? Or would it be safer to choose another discipline?

It really depends on what those felonies are. A great deal of Aerospace work is held by government contractors, and typically requires an FBI clearance. That being said, if the crimes were less than serious you would have no problem getting the clearance, the problem is that employers would be taking a risk paying for you to get cleared when you "might" not pass (and they likely have other candidates lined up). It's certainly not impossible, but that really puts a damper on things.

I just did a degree evaluation for their electrical engineering degree (and it would be the same if I chose computer engineering, just different core classes), and I would only need 67 more credits to complete it. It's still quite a bit, but at least it seems reasonable.

I have no idea what job prospects are like for either of those 2 majors, but it seems like there should be SOME kind of options for me, including masters programs.

Is this UIUC by any chance?

It's Wichita State University. They are accepting more of my previous CS and math courses as electives. And the program is only 128 credits vs 135 for the other engineering majors.

The other odd thing is that I have to take physics 1 and 2 over again. At Embry-Riddle, I took physics 1 (kinematics,forces, etc) and physics 2(waves, optics, modern, work-energy)...if I had taken physics 3, it would have included e&m, electrostatics, etc.

At Wichita, they use a 2 semester sequence that covers all of that in 2 semesters that are 5 credits each. So I have to retake the sequence...but might not be a bad idea anyway, considering how long it's been. The part that kills me is that I can't even use them as electives because the system will only allow credit for EITHER Physics for Engineers (which is what I took), OR University Physics. But that's what I get for making bad decisions.

Now I better get started reviewing my math. I have to review 3 semesters of calculus and differential equations in a relatively short period of time. But I feel pretty confident.

I guess another 2.5-3 years, making me 40-41

The best response I've ever seen in regard to these kinds of concerns is:

Would you rather be 40-41 and not have a degree that'll get you a job anywhere you could possibly want to work?

mmapcpro said:
I just did a degree evaluation for their electrical engineering degree (and it would be the same if I chose computer engineering, just different core classes), and I would only need 67 more credits to complete it. It's still quite a bit, but at least it seems reasonable.

I have no idea what job prospects are like for either of those 2 majors, but it seems like there should be SOME kind of options for me, including masters programs.

To me this is your most sensible course. I think getting a job in EE or CE will be easier than in aerospace, because the industry is larger and there are more options. Good luck!

Don't forget that aerospace is larger than just aviation. Aerospace engineers are employable in the automotive industry, the nuclear industry, in architecture, in naval engineering... if there's fluid flow involved, aerospace engineers can get a job in it. And that's just one subdiscipline of aerospace.

For your criminal record: look into record sealing/expungement if you haven't already. Depending on the crime (usually non-violent), you can sometimes get even felonies sealed. Now, this probably won't help for security clearance, as I'm pretty sure the government would still have access to your records even after sealing/expunging, but it would help for any non-government job.
Do you mind telling me a bit about Embry-Riddle, seeing as I'm considering that for Aerospace or Engineering Physics?

In Florida, you cannot have a felony sealed or expunged if you were convicted with a plea of guilty. So I will just have to accept that and try to keep pushing forward as best as I can.

I LOVED Embry-Riddle. It was small enough where I could get lots of face-time with faculty. The campus had a very serious feel to it. There was no party-life to speak of...most everyone there seemed to be focused on their goal. Dr. Olivero, who is the department chair for the physical sciences department is top notch. He is one of the most caring individuals I have ever met. If you are putting in effort, there is nothing that he won't do to help you succeed.

The only gripe I have, which is ONLY a problem because I didn't follow through with my plan, is that the tuition was very expensive, and back then (10-12 years ago) a lot of the courses were still very proprietary. Some of my credits simply don't transfer to anything equivalent at a state university. I have looked at a recent ERAU catalog, and it appears that they have changed much of the course numbers to better match the state university systems.

I've made a decision, and will take action to get into the EE or CE program as soon as I can get an advising appointment. I just don't know which of the 2 disciplines to choose. From what I'm reading, EE might allow me more job options. However, CE still gives me the option down the line of doing a masters in software, if the hardware market gets worse (without having to take a semester of prereqs). I know this question comes up all the time here, and most of the people asking are just as stressed as I am, but in perspective, it certainly is a blessing to have such a decision to make.

I think that's the right decision. Even if you have extra hurdles to go over, the last thing you want to do is give up. I got back to school ten years late (I'm 31 atm) and I realized that I was so unhappy with my current career that I was starting to become a bit bitter about my current lot in life.
I know that the last thing I would want is to have regrets. I don't want to look in the mirror ten years from now and regret the fact that I didn't at least try to finish my degree. Even if I don't get the type of job that I really covet, at least I can feel satisfied with the fact that I gave it the best shot I could.
So good luck to you.

And I don't feel like I need to "catch up" to anything, in terms of money, success, or prestige. I had a very successful technology business years ago and had no worries about money, but I was absolutely miserable inside. I would simply love to have a job that provides enough to pay for my student loans and the basic needs (food, rent, heat,etc.). Health insurance would be great, though. :P Anything above that is comforting, of course, but I try not to allow myself to confuse wants with needs. And I certainly don't look to material possessions to provide my happiness, like I used to...well, sometimes I do, but I strive to keep it in check.

Related to What should I do with my incomplete undergraduate degree and personal struggles?

What caused this mess?

The cause of a mess can vary depending on the specific situation, but it is often due to a lack of organization or attention to detail.

How can I clean up this mess?

The best approach to cleaning up a mess is to start with the biggest and most obvious issues first, and then work your way down to smaller and more detailed tasks.

Is there a way to prevent messes in the future?

Yes, there are several strategies you can use to prevent messes. These include staying organized, paying attention to details, and cleaning up as you go instead of letting things pile up.

What are the potential consequences of this mess?

The consequences of a mess can vary depending on the situation. It may lead to wasted time and resources, damage to property, or even negative effects on relationships or reputations.

How can I learn from this mess?

Reflecting on the cause of the mess and the steps that led to it can help you learn from the experience and avoid making similar mistakes in the future. It can also be helpful to seek advice or guidance from others who have dealt with similar situations.