What scientific explanations can be dumbed down for non-scientists?

• Thread starter ThatNickGuy
  • Start date
ThatNickGuy
Hey guys,

I found this forum oddly enough while googling "flying like Superman in a dream" because someone was asking a question about that.

Anyway, I will fully admit that I won't be very active on here. I'm mainly post maybe physics-related questions to help with my research for writing. Two years ago, I published my first novel, https://www.amazon.com/dp/148261300X/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It's the first in a series I call The Armadillo Mysteries. It stars Dilbert Pinkerton, a mutant armadillo private detective. He digs for the truth. I have its sequel coming out this year, too: The Dame was a Tad Polish.

The problem I run into the most as a writer, though, is that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to science. I'm an arts student through and through. Math was always my weakest subject, which goes double for scientific subjects like physics or chemistry. Biology and I went along better because there was less mathematical formulas in that. I find it tricky finding scientific explanations on things that are dumbed down to a level I can understand (one not using math, especially). If it can be dumbed down to a level like, say, the game Portal ("Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out"), then I can get it. That's probably an overstatement, since I can understand things a little higher than that.

I'm sure that, if you were to read my work, you'd find all sorts of incorrect physics. Fortunately, it's in a fantastical, comic book-like world, so I can get away with that a little bit, right?

Anyway, just thought I'd be polite and say hello first before bothering all of you with my dumb questions. :D

[mentor note: blog URL removed, we do not allow personal URL promotions]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ThatNickGuy. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Advice for all new members is that you should read our general guide to posting before hitting the forums , to ensure your visits to Physics Forums are all going to be smooth sailing. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: