What math should i review before taking a course in mechanics

In summary: The course description is as follows: The course is an in-depth study of classical mechanics, from the Newtonian to the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations. First, Newtonian mechanics is reviewed and applied to more advanced problems than those considered in PHY 131 or 141. The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian methods are then derived from the Newtonian treatment and applied to various problems. Finally, the calculus of variations is introduced. If you are looking for a deeper understanding of mechanics, some calculus of variations work wouldn't hurt...but I don't think it is absolutly necessary to pass this course.
jasc15
I am registering for a mechanics course for the fall semester, and would like to know what math to review to prepare myself.

The course description is as folows:
An in-depth study of classical mechanics, from the
Newtonian to the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations.
First, Newtonian mechanics is reviewed and
applied to more advanced problems than those considered
in PHY 131 or 141. The Lagrangian and
Hamiltonian methods are then derived from the
Newtonian treatment and applied to various problems.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you are comfortable with calculus and matrices before you jump into hamiltonians.

Is the calculus of variations covered within the course?

From what it looks like, I would suggest reviewing Diff. Eqs. I know many mechanics courses also suggest Linear Algebra, but I didn't have it when I took mechanics and any linear algebra given in the class was stuff I had picked up pretty quick.

If you are looking for a deeper understanding of mechanics, some calculus of variations work wouldn't hurt...but I don't think it is absolutly necessary to pass this course.

Pseudo Statistic said:
Is the calculus of variations covered within the course?

in my experience, it is.

you might be asked to solve a few ODE's. in my course, i recall having to solve a nonhomogeneous second order equation once during a homework assignment.

if you end up covering inertia tensors, you'll be building matrices with elements given by multidimensional integrals.

so you'll probably be good with the calc sequence and an introductory course to diff eq's.

I too am taking a course in mechanics this fall, however I am curious what exactly is "the calculus of variations"?

Calculus of variations is a field of mathematics that deals with functionals, as opposed to ordinary calculus which deals with functions. Such functionals can for example be formed as integrals involving an unknown function and its derivatives. The interest is in extremal functions: those making the functional attain a maximum or minimum value.

At my university we have 2 mechanics classes. An intermediate mechanics where we deal with rigid systems, keplers laws, periodic motion, chaos. Then we have a second "Advanced Dynamics" course that introduces Lagrangian/hamiltonian dynamics, calculus of variations, coupled pendulums, ect.
During intermediate mechanics all I needed was some calculus (about calc 2 level) and differential equations. We solved ALOT of differential equations. They were mostly homogeneous and second order.

Don't forget algebra, geometry, and multivariable calculus [especially the chain rule].

You might wish to familiarize yourself with various coordinate systems [which may be used to describe your configuration space].

In addition, you might wish to familiarize yourself with index notations (including summations and component notations).

Related to What math should i review before taking a course in mechanics

1. What are the basic algebraic concepts I should review before taking a course in mechanics?

The most important algebraic concepts to review before taking a course in mechanics are solving linear and quadratic equations, manipulating variables and equations, and understanding basic algebraic properties such as the distributive property and the order of operations.

2. Do I need to review trigonometry before taking a course in mechanics?

Yes, understanding basic trigonometry is essential for solving problems in mechanics. You should review concepts such as right triangle trigonometry, trigonometric functions, and trigonometric identities.

3. Should I brush up on my geometry skills before taking a course in mechanics?

While a basic understanding of geometry is helpful, it is not as crucial as algebra and trigonometry. However, reviewing concepts such as angles, triangles, and basic geometric formulas can be beneficial for understanding more complex mechanics problems.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in calculus before taking a course in mechanics?

Having a strong foundation in calculus is not necessary, but it can make understanding mechanics concepts easier. Some concepts in mechanics, such as velocity and acceleration, involve derivatives and integrals, so a basic understanding of calculus can be helpful.

5. Can I review these math concepts on my own or do I need to take a separate math course?

You can review these math concepts on your own through online resources, textbooks, and practice problems. However, if you feel that you need more structured review, taking a separate math course can be beneficial in preparing you for a mechanics course.