What to review before taking a course in E&M?

In summary: You don't need to know multivariable calculus to understand electromagnetism.In summary, the student is transferring to a university with Physics II as a co-requisite and is concerned about what to review in the few days before the class starts. He recommends reviewing vectors, torque, and simple harmonic motion, which are covered in Physics I and not multivariable calculus.
MetalGear2
I will be transferring from a community college to a university where I will be taking Physics II. We will cover electricity, magnetism, waves, optics, and perhaps even some modern physics. The catalog at my new university says that a co-requisite is Calculus II where they cover integration, sequences/series, and first order ODE. The prerequisites are Calculus I and Physics I which covers mechanics, fluids, waves, and heat.

I've already fulfilled all of these requirements over a year ago. My concern is what to review in the few days I have before starting my new class. Physics I is still fresh in my mind but it's been a while since I've taken Calculus II, and I know our TA will review with us useful material from Physics I.

I think we'll probably review vectors, torque, and simple harmonic motion, but what is important to review from math? Do E&M courses utilize material from Multivariable Calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you already have the textbook you'll be using? Obviously, that's the best place to start to review. Go through what's planned in the syllabus for the first week or two and see what you remember, what you've forgot, what you're rusty on, while learning a bit about what you'll be talking about.

MetalGear2 said:
I think we'll probably review vectors, torque, and simple harmonic motion, but what is important to review from math? Do E&M courses utilize material from Multivariable Calculus?
I'd review techniques of integration. In the typical intro physics course, when you do electromagnetism, you work with the integral form of Maxwell's equations. You'll occasionally do a surface or line integral, but they'll be applied to situations with enough symmetry to make evaluating the integrals simple and straightforward. So, yes, it's technically material from multivariable calculus, but at the same time, it's hardly that.

Related to What to review before taking a course in E&M?

What topics are typically covered in a course on E&M?

A course on E&M (Electromagnetism) will typically cover topics such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic induction, Maxwell's equations, and electromagnetic waves. Other topics that may be included are electric circuits, electromagnetic fields in matter, and applications of E&M in technology.

What background knowledge is necessary for understanding E&M?

A basic understanding of calculus, particularly vector calculus, is essential for understanding E&M. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in introductory physics, including concepts such as forces, motion, and basic electricity and magnetism.

What are some common challenges students face in learning E&M?

One of the most common challenges students face in learning E&M is grasping the abstract concepts, as they are not always directly observable in everyday life. Another challenge is understanding the mathematical equations and their applications. It is also important to develop a strong visual and intuitive understanding of the concepts to fully comprehend E&M.

What resources can I use to review E&M before taking a course?

There are many resources available for reviewing E&M, such as online tutorials, textbooks, and practice problems. You can also review lecture notes or videos from introductory physics courses to refresh your understanding of basic concepts. It can also be helpful to discuss and work through problems with classmates or a tutor.

How can I prepare for the math involved in E&M?

To prepare for the math involved in E&M, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, particularly vector calculus. It can also be beneficial to review algebra and trigonometry concepts, as they are frequently used in E&M equations. Practicing problems and familiarizing yourself with the equations and their applications can also help improve your math skills for E&M.