Review for Upper Division Class Mechanics course?

In summary: If you have a textbook to work from, do as many problems from each section as you feel you need to be sure you've mastered the material. If that means you only do a few questions from chapter 1 or whatever because it's easy for you, fine, move on to the next.
AD MCFC
Hello, I will take Classical Mechanics I (upper division) course fall of 2017.

I have not seen Mechanics material since fall of 2014 and would like suggestions on how to review the concepts prior to taking the class.

I was pretty good in that class and do not need to "re-learn" anything per say, but would simply like to go through a handful of problems per each chapter. Where should I take these problems from? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
AD MCFC said:
but would simply like to go through a handful of problems per each chapter.

Why just a handful? If you've mastered the material, it shouldn't take all that long to do all of them, especially if you have a year. If you haven't mastered the material, maybe it's a good idea to spend some time on it.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why just a handful? If you've mastered the material, it shouldn't take all that long to do all of them, especially if you have a year. If you haven't mastered the material, maybe it's a good idea to spend some time on it.
"All of them", does this mean do the 120 problems found at the end of each chapter in your typical heavy intro physics textbook? Explain what you mean here.
I would prefer you answer the question and not get philosophical here. Otherwise, save your time and do not answer it at all.

AD MCFC said:
save your time and do not answer it at all.

Gee, that makes we want to give you another piece of advice.

Well I apologize, but you did not seem quite interested in giving advice in the first place.
You are telling me to do every problem without specifying where these problems are coming from. Some intro books have hundreds of problems per chapter, while an AP review book might have like 20.

If you were me, which resources would you refer to ? Etc.

Pro-tip, being rude to people is not going to make them want to help you.

But to your question, if you have a textbook to work from, do as many problems from each section as you feel you need to be sure you've mastered the material. If that means you only do a few questions from chapter 1 or whatever because it's easy for you, fine, move on to the next. Only you can know how prepared you are.

Related to Review for Upper Division Class Mechanics course?

1. What topics will be covered in the Mechanics course?

The Mechanics course will cover topics such as kinematics, forces, work and energy, rotational motion, and oscillations.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking the Mechanics course?

The prerequisites for the Mechanics course typically include a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Some universities may also require completion of introductory physics courses.

3. What are the common challenges students face in the Mechanics course?

Some common challenges students face in the Mechanics course include understanding abstract concepts, applying mathematical equations, and visualizing and solving complex problems.

4. What study strategies are recommended for success in the Mechanics course?

Some recommended study strategies for success in the Mechanics course include attending lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing problem-solving regularly, seeking help from professors or teaching assistants, and forming study groups with classmates.

5. How can I prepare for exams in the Mechanics course?

To prepare for exams in the Mechanics course, it is important to review class notes and problem sets regularly, identify and work on areas of weakness, and utilize study resources such as practice exams and review sessions. It is also helpful to start studying early and manage time effectively.