What is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

In summary: The problem didn't ask for anything like that much precision, though. I don't know how much precision it did ask for, but I would assume two significant figures. So, was the solution one of the two you got? And which one?In summary, the problem involves adjusting a garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water and pointing it vertically upwards at a height of 1.5 m. After quickly turning off the nozzle, the water is heard striking the ground for 2.0 seconds. The task is to find the water speed as it leaves the nozzle. The solution involves using the equations vavg = Δx/Δt and vfinal^2 = vinitial^2 + 2
hitemup

Homework Statement

nGlQqa.jpg

[/B]
Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upward at a height of 1.5 m above the ground. When you quickly turn off the nozzle, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0 s.
What is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

Homework Equations

[/B]
vavg = Δx/ Δt
vfinal2 =vinitial2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

b46Vdn.jpg

From the vavg equation:
vg = 1.5/2t + 10t
v0 = 1.5/2t - 10t

From the other equation

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP10431h9ic8g7736e702600003bb73a2eg362c825?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=34&w=238.&h=35.

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP38881h9ic4fc19b732c400004f1gdedhga6cgg3b?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=34&w=38.&h=18.
http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP38851h9ic4fc19b732c400002b4de3h0dg0716h1?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=34&w=49.&h=18.

v0 was (1.5/2t - 10t).
So it becomes 0.75 - 10 = -9.25.

I think my answer is correct because I've come across the value of 9.25 on some other topics too. I'm not asking for a value correction. But what I found is minus 9.25 while others claim it is plus 9.25. Is this because of the direction of the water? Also, what about the spots I wrote (1-t). Have they simply become zero?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote 1.5/2t when you meant 1.5/(2t), then used it as though it wss (1.5/2)t. t cannot possibly be 1; look at the 1-t in your diagram.
There's a much quicker way. You have the time from the last drops of water leaving the pipe to hitting the ground, you have the acceleration, and you have the net change in height. One SUVAT equation will relate these to the initial velocity.

haruspex said:
You wrote 1.5/2t when you meant 1.5/(2t), then used it as though it wss (1.5/2)t. t cannot possibly be 1; look at the 1-t in your diagram.
There's a much quicker way. You have the time from the last drops of water leaving the pipe to hitting the ground, you have the acceleration, and you have the net change in height. One SUVAT equation will relate these to the initial velocity.

Thanks for pointing out the silly mistake. This, unfortunately, was the first way to come to my mind. I'd better think more. :D

1. What factors affect the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

The water speed as it leaves the nozzle is influenced by several factors, including the pressure of the water, the size and shape of the nozzle, and the viscosity of the water itself. Other factors such as obstructions in the flow path and the angle of the nozzle can also affect the water speed.

2. How is the water speed measured as it leaves the nozzle?

The water speed as it leaves the nozzle can be measured using a variety of tools, such as a flow meter, a pitot tube, or a velocity probe. These tools measure the velocity of the water at a specific point in the flow path and can provide an accurate measurement of the water speed.

3. Is the water speed consistent as it leaves the nozzle?

No, the water speed as it leaves the nozzle is not always consistent. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above and can also change over time as the water pressure and flow rate fluctuate. However, the speed can be controlled and adjusted by changing the nozzle size or adjusting the water pressure.

4. How does the water speed affect the force of the water?

The speed of the water as it leaves the nozzle directly affects the force of the water. As the water speed increases, so does the force of the water, which can be useful for tasks such as pressure washing or firefighting. However, too much force can also be dangerous and should be carefully controlled.

5. Can the water speed as it leaves the nozzle be calculated?

Yes, the water speed as it leaves the nozzle can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure, velocity, and height of the water. However, this calculation may not always be accurate as it does not account for factors such as turbulence and friction in the flow path.