Analyzing a Circuit with Phasors: Determining Inductance and Resistance

In summary, when solving for the values of L and R in a circuit at steady state, it is possible to simplify the problem by recognizing that the 4mF capacitor and 22 Ω resistor act as fixed voltage sources and can be ignored when determining the voltages across R and L. Using KVL and the given expression for the mesh current, the complex phasor form of I can be equated to the phasor form of the combined voltage sources to solve for the values of L and R. It is important to note that the combined voltage sources represent the voltage across the entire circuit.
Dieinhell100

Homework Statement

When the circuit shown in the figure is at steady state, the mesh current is

i(t) = 0.3255 cos(10t + 133.3°) A

Determine the values of L and R.

Zc is the impedance of the Capacitor
ZL is the impedance of the Inductor
I1 is the current in the top loop
I2 is the current in the bottom loop

Homework Equations

Z= V/I
A∠θ = a+bi
KCL and/or KVL
ZL = iωL
Zc = -i(1/ωC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm attaching the image to the problem.

It seemed to be hinting that I should use mesh analysis. Which I did, and here is what I got.

For the top loop (I1):
Vs1 + [(I1 -i(t))*Zc]=0
33∠-20° + [(I1 -i(t))*(-25i)]=0
Solving for I1 gives me... I1 = -.675 - i

For the bottom loop (I2):
Vs2 + 22(I2-i(t))
-7∠208° + 22(I2 - i(t))=0
Solving for I2 gives me... I2 = -.0504 + .088i

Well. As I went to solve the middle loop to find R and L, I realized that I would end up with one equation with 2 variables. As so:
22(i(t) - I2) + (i(t)*ZL) + (i(t) - I1)(Zc) + R*i(t) = 0
In it's full form:
http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP1141gi2i269116eaa1h000037b5gfa436511hfc?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=5&w=362.&h=38.
Where x is L and y is R.

This is where I get stumped. What am I supposed to do?

Attachments

• sfrsg.png
    sfrsg.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 425
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can simplify things greatly if you recognize that the 4mF capacitor and 22 Ω resistor are both paralleled by fixed voltage sources. Those components cannot change the voltages delivered by those sources, no matter what currents they draw from them...

gneill said:
You can simplify things greatly if you recognize that the 4mF capacitor and 22 Ω resistor are both paralleled by fixed voltage sources. Those components cannot change the voltages delivered by those sources, no matter what currents they draw from them...

Are you telling me that the capacitor and 22Ω resistor might as well be non existent when solving for the voltage across R and L?

If so.. Does that mean I can do KVL while taking only R, L, and the 2 voltage sources into consideration? Giving me my 2nd equation?

Dieinhell100 said:
Are you telling me that the capacitor and 22Ω resistor might as well be non existent when solving for the voltage across R and L?

If so.. Does that mean I can do KVL while taking only R, L, and the 2 voltage sources into consideration? Giving me my 2nd equation?

I am, and you can :smile:

gneill said:
I am, and you can :smile:

Hmm.. Okay this took me a hell of a long time to calculate between those two equations. Was I supposed to use the equation in my first post and the equation found doing the KVL across L,R, and the two voltages to find R and L?

If so, I got these monstrous values (10^16) that have complex numbers for R and L. If I am supposed to find R and L between those two, then I must have done the math wrong.

Last edited:
Okay, you've probably suffered enough :smile: Here's the easy way. Write KVL around the loop and solve for I (symbolically). You'll end up with something of the form
$$I = \frac{E}{R + j\omega L}$$
But you're given an expression for I. Convert it to complex form phasor. Do the same for 'E'. Do what's required to equate coefficients.

gneill said:
Okay, you've probably suffered enough :smile: Here's the easy way. Write KVL around the loop and solve for I (symbolically). You'll end up with something of the form
$$I = \frac{E}{R + j\omega L}$$
But you're given an expression for I. Convert it to complex form phasor. Do the same for 'E'. Do what's required to equate coefficients.

I'm not sure what "E" is meant to be, but I can meet you halfway I think :biggrin:

I = E /(R + jwL)

.3255cos(10t+133.3°) = E / [R + j(10)(L)]

-.223 + .237j = E / (R + 10jL)

If I were to take a guess at what 'E' is, it's the combination of the voltage sources, correct?

E = -7∠208° + 33∠-20° ?

Last edited:
HA YES I DID IT. HAHAHAHAHA :smile:

I assumed E was the combined voltage sources and got -37.19 + 8i as the complex form

R + jwL = I/E

R +10iL = 96.2 + 66.38i

I had two variables and one equation, but I saw that there was real and nonreal numbers. So..

i terms -> 10iL = 66.38i
L = 6.638

Real terms - > 96.2187 = R

Thank you again gneill! I made things way harder than they really were.

You're welcome. Cheers.

Related to Analyzing a Circuit with Phasors: Determining Inductance and Resistance

What is a phasor?

A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal in a circuit. It is commonly used in circuit analysis to simplify calculations involving AC signals.

How do phasors differ from regular complex numbers?

Phasors use a rotating vector representation to show the magnitude and phase of a signal, whereas regular complex numbers use a Cartesian coordinate system. Additionally, phasors only apply to sinusoidal signals, while regular complex numbers can represent any type of signal.

How are phasors used in circuit analysis?

Phasors are used to simplify calculations involving AC signals in circuits. They can be added, subtracted, and multiplied just like regular complex numbers, making it easier to analyze the behavior of a circuit with multiple components and AC sources.

What is the difference between impedance and resistance in a circuit?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of current in a circuit. Impedance, on the other hand, takes into account both resistance and reactance, which is the opposition to current caused by inductance and capacitance in a circuit. In other words, impedance is a more comprehensive measure of a circuit's resistance to AC signals.

How do we convert between phasor and time-domain representations?

To convert from a phasor to time-domain representation, we use the inverse Fourier transform. This involves taking the real part of the phasor and multiplying it by the cosine of the angle, and taking the imaginary part and multiplying it by the sine of the angle. To convert from time-domain to phasor representation, we use the Fourier transform, which involves taking the cosine and sine components of the signal and combining them into a single complex number.