Verify Ψ is solution of quantum oscillator using H operator

In summary: H= -hbar^2/2m d^2/dx^2 + 1/2 mw^2x^2I took the second derivative of psi and wrote it as (x^2/a^4 - 1/a^2)*psi and then moved everything onto the left hand side withhbar^2/2m (x^2/a^4 - 1/a^2)psi + (E-1/2mw^2x^2)psi=0then collected x^2 terms and constant terms and found E - hbar^2/2ma^2 = 0so substituting a
ElectricEel1

Homework Statement

verify that Ψ(x) = ( 1/a√π)½ exp(-(x2/2a2))
is a solution to the TISE for linear harmonic oscillator. Where a = √(hbar/mw). and V(x) = ½ mw2x2.

Homework Equations

HΨ=EΨ
E_n = (n+½)hbar*w

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started by differentiating the wave function twice to find http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP2111e793aff6db9408500002d959h09e9180hfg?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=28 .
Then when I apply the Hamiltonian operator to the wave function I can't see a way this would cancel down to (n+½)hbar*w. Have I gone about this the right way at all?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what [itex] n [/itex] is for that wave function

pretty sure n=0, I've seen the full version of the wave function i have before and n=0 would make it cancel to what I have now but I am still a little lost

if that is the [itex] n [/itex] for that wave function, then that is the equation you must solve...

so E should equal 1/2 hbar*w but I can't find a way to make the Schrodinger equation I've written to cancel to that. Maybe I'm not understanding

ElectricEel1 said:

Homework Statement

verify that Ψ(x) = ( 1/a√π)½ exp(-(x2/2a2))
is a solution to the TISE for linear harmonic oscillator. Where a = √(hbar/mw). and V(x) = ½ mw2x2.

Homework Equations

HΨ=EΨ
E_n = (n+½)hbar*w

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started by differentiating the wave function twice to find http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP2111e793aff6db9408500002d959h09e9180hfg?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=28 .
Then when I apply the Hamiltonian operator to the wave function I can't see a way this would cancel down to (n+½)hbar*w. Have I gone about this the right way at all?

Thanks

Show your complete, final, expression for ##H \psi##, so we can tell if you have made an algebraic error or not. Right now, we cannot say where your problem lies.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey. since I last posted I think i got a solution.
my expression was
H = -hbar^2/2m d^2/dx^2 + 1/2 mw^2x^2

I took the second derivative of psi and wrote it as (x^2/a^4 - 1/a^2)*psi and then moved everything onto the left hand side with

hbar^2/2m (x^2/a^4 - 1/a^2)psi + (E-1/2mw^2x^2)psi=0

then collected x^2 terms and constant terms and found

E - hbar^2/2ma^2 = 0
so substituting a back into the equation it reduced down to (hbar*w)/2

So I had to do the same problem but this time with

2xe*e^((-x^2)/(2a^2))

This time when I collected terms I ended with only one x^3,x^2,x,constant term each. Am I right in thinking this wave function is not a solution then? To the schroedinger equation and linear harmonic oscillator

ElectricEel1 said:
So I had to do the same problem but this time with

2xe*e^((-x^2)/(2a^2))

This time when I collected terms I ended with only one x^3,x^2,x,constant term each. Am I right in thinking this wave function is not a solution then? To the schroedinger equation and linear harmonic oscillator

What, exactly, is your final expression for ##H \psi##? Write out all the details!

Related to Verify Ψ is solution of quantum oscillator using H operator

1. What is the H operator in quantum mechanics?

The H operator, also known as the Hamiltonian operator, is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a quantum system. It is used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system and is crucial in solving the Schrödinger equation.

2. How does the H operator relate to the quantum oscillator?

The H operator plays a central role in the quantum oscillator, as it represents the total energy of the system. In the case of the quantum oscillator, the H operator is a combination of the kinetic energy and potential energy terms, which determine the behavior of the oscillator.

3. What is the Schrödinger equation and how does it relate to the H operator?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is written in terms of the H operator and the wave function of the system, and it allows us to calculate the wave function at any point in time.

4. How do we verify that Ψ is a solution of the quantum oscillator using the H operator?

To verify that Ψ is a solution of the quantum oscillator, we need to plug it into the Schrödinger equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then it is a valid solution. Additionally, we can also check if Ψ satisfies the boundary conditions and normalization conditions for the quantum oscillator.

5. Can the H operator be used to solve other quantum systems?

Yes, the H operator is a general operator that can be used to solve a wide range of quantum systems. It is particularly useful for systems with time-independent Hamiltonians, such as the quantum harmonic oscillator, but can also be used for time-dependent systems with some modifications.