Finding the tension in a rope when acceleration is balanced

In summary, the blocks slide on a frictionless incline with an acceleration of 1.75 m/s2. The tension in the rope is 84.39 N.
Shadow236

Homework Statement

A m1 = 7.3 kg block and a m2 = 10.2 kg block, connected by a rope that passes over a frictionless peg, slide on frictionless incline.

4-p-077-alt.gif

(a) Find the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the rope.

(b) The two blocks are replaced by two others of masses m1 and m2 such that there is no acceleration. Find whatever information you can about the masses of these two new blocks.

m1/m2 = ?

Homework Equations

(a)
http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP15211ddd67249f6c0h99000021236a56865d5b05?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=30&w=226.&h=36.

T = (m1g)(1 + (((m2sin(50 deg)) - (m1sin(40 deg)))/(m1 + m2))

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) in order to find the acceleration of the blocks I used the acceleration equation above to get...
http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP97820d5a6g74c9g0833000042fai256cg284eae?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=54&w=353.&h=43. = 1.75 m/s2

But I am having trouble finding the tension. Using the equation above I do not get the right answer.
http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP110351gc6963gg3d1i776000051bdi059eic3399d?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=3&w=322.&h=37. = 84.39 N
Is this the right equation? What do I need to do differently?

(b) I really have no idea what this part is asking for. If a = 0 wouldn't m1 and m2 both be equal to 0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are not taking into account the gravitational force (F=mg).

In the Tension equation? I thought I was because it is (m1 x g)(...)

EDIT: Just noticed it was frictionless. My bad, sorry.

For the (b) part if you take equation for the acceleration in case where a=0, you would get m2sin(50)-m1sin(40)=0, m1sin(40)=m2sin(50), m1/m2=sin(50)/sin(40).

Ahhh, I see. Awesome. So do you think I did the tension part correctly then?

Well, for the first object you would have m1a=T-m1gsin40, and for the second m2a=m2gsin50-T. If you solve for a in both cases, you would have a=(T-m1gsin40)/m1 and a=(m2gsin50-T)/m2. If you put these 2 in an equation (T-m1gsin40)m1=(m2gsin50-T)/m2, it should be fairly easy to solve for T in that case.

By my calculations you should get ~58.77N

Last edited:
Oh okay, that was similar to what I tried. I got ~58.80 N. Thank you very much!

You're very welcome :D

Related to Finding the tension in a rope when acceleration is balanced

What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that is exerted by the rope on the objects it is attached to. It is a pulling force that keeps the objects in place and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

Why is it important to find the tension in a rope?

Finding the tension in a rope is important because it allows us to understand the forces acting on the objects connected by the rope. This information is crucial in determining the stability and safety of the objects and the rope itself.

How is the tension in a rope related to acceleration?

The tension in a rope is directly related to acceleration in the sense that it is the force that causes the objects to accelerate. If the acceleration is balanced, the tension in the rope will be equal to the mass of the objects multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by several factors, including the weight of the objects attached to the rope, the angle of the rope, and the acceleration of the objects. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also affect the tension in certain situations.

How can the tension in a rope be calculated?

The tension in a rope can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. By knowing the mass of the objects and the acceleration due to gravity, the tension can be determined using the equation T = mg, where T is tension, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.