What is the vector magnetic potential for a rod extending along the Z-axis?

In summary: That will be better in this particular case because then you can use the divergence theorem. In summary, the vector magnetic potential for a rod of length L extending along the Z-axis can be calculated using the following formula: A = u / 4pi * integral ( J / R') dv', where the bounds are in respect to v'. The dv' refers to the volume of the object (the rod). The magnetic potential can be found by taking the divergence of ## J_m ## with respect to x.
Vaclav
I am trying to calculate the vector magnetic potential for a rod of length L extending along the Z-axis. I was asked to find the magnetic potential at a point P which is a distance r from the center of the rod in the XY plane.

I know the formula I have to use is the vector Poisson's equation A = u / 4pi * integral ( J / R') dv', where the bounds are in respect to v'. The dv' refers to the volume of the object (the rod).

I am not sure how I might start this problem. I have thought about using J = I * (pi * a^2), where I is the current of the rod and a is the radius. As well, R' can be calculated using r = (z^2 + r^2)^1/2. Besides that, I am confused on how I might take into account of the volume and current of the rod. I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vaclav said:
I am trying to calculate the vector magnetic potential for a rod of length L extending along the Z-axis. I was asked to find the magnetic potential at a point P which is a distance r from the center of the rod in the XY plane.

I know the formula I have to use is the vector Poisson's equation A = u / 4pi * integral ( J / R') dv', where the bounds are in respect to v'. The dv' refers to the volume of the object (the rod).

I am not sure how I might start this problem. I have thought about using J = I * (pi * a^2), where I is the current of the rod and a is the radius. As well, R' can be calculated using r = (z^2 + r^2)^1/2. Besides that, I am confused on how I might take into account of the volume and current of the rod. I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered.
Presumably the rod has some magnetization ## \vec{M} ## per unit volume. The rod can be modeled as a magnetic dipole with dipole strength ## \vec{m}=\vec{M}V ##. If you google "magnetic dipole", Wikipedia has a good write-up that even gives the formula for the magnetic vector potential ## \vec{A} ## for a magnetic dipole.

Likes Dale
Unfortunately, this does not help me. My book does have the formulae for the example, but they find it using the Biot-Savart method and they want me to compare it by using a different method it seems. My professor as well indicated that I should use the formula I listed above, but I am not sure how I can convert the quantities into something I can use.

Likes Charles Link
Vaclav said:
Unfortunately, this does not help me. My book does have the formulae for the example, but they find it using the Biot-Savart method and they want me to compare it by using a different method it seems. My professor as well indicated that I should use the formula I listed above, but I am not sure how I can convert the quantities into something I can use.
Griffith's E&M textbook computes the vector potential ## A ## for an arbitrary distribution of magnetization of microscopic magnetic dipoles and shows by a couple of vector identities for integrals that it is equivalent to magnetic surface currents per unit length ## K_m=M \times \hat{n}/\mu_o ## plus bulk magnetic currents ## J_m=\nabla \times M/\mu_o ##. ## \\ ## Griffiths simply presents the derivation along with the result, but it is really quite an important one , and he might do well to give it additional emphasis. I highly recommend you read carefully through the derivation in Griffiths textbook. ## \\ ## ## \\ ## The vector potential ## A ## can then be calculated from the surface currents : ## A(x)=\frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} \int \frac{K_m(x')}{|x-x'|} \, dS' ##. (To get from this integral to the Wikipedia result for ## A ## might take a little work, but if you keep just the lowest order terms, the results should agree.) By taking ## B=\nabla \times A ## you get the same answer for ## B ## that you would by doing a Biot-Savart integral with the surface currents. ## \\ ## (Please check the ## \mu_o/(4 \pi ) ## in the above formula, but I think I got it right. I often do these E&M calculations in c.g.s. units where the constants are different.) ## \\ ## Computing the vector potential ## A ## and then taking ##B= \nabla \times A ## is often easier than using Biot-Savart integrals to compute ## B ##.

Last edited:
@Vaclav Just an additional input: Oftentimes, the magnetic surface currents are shown by using ## J_m=\nabla \times M/\mu_o ## along with Stokes theorem at a surface boundary to give surface current per unit length ## K_m=M \times \hat{n}/\mu_o ##. One can expect bulk currents ## J_m ## to depend upon some vector gradient of the magnetization ## M ##. In general, a proof of the equation ## J_m=\nabla \times M/\mu_o ## would be quite detailed and it can be expected that the student accepts this formula without a detailed proof. .. Griffiths alternatively takes a rather unique approach and computes the vector potential ## A ## for an arbitrary distribution of magnetic dipoles. The vector potential from a single microscopic dipole is already known, and he uses superposition along with a couple vector identities to generate the result that the bulk currents and surface currents must be what is given above by using the result that ## A(x)=\frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} \int \frac{J_m(x')}{|x-x'|} \, d^3x' ##. The result of this derivation is of much significance. Alternatively, you can accept the equations without proof that ## J_m=\nabla \times M/\mu_o ## which from Stokes theorem results in ## K_m=M \times \hat{n}/\mu_o ## at the surface. Griffiths proves these in a very unique way and his is quite an interesting derivation.

Related to What is the vector magnetic potential for a rod extending along the Z-axis?

1. What is magnetic potential?

Magnetic potential is a scalar quantity that represents the stored energy in a magnetic field. It is also known as magnetic potential energy.

2. How is magnetic potential calculated?

The magnetic potential from a rod can be calculated using the equation μ0I/4πr, where μ0 is the permeability constant, I is the current in the rod, and r is the distance from the rod.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic potential and magnetic field?

Magnetic potential is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength. This means that as the magnetic potential increases, so does the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the shape of the rod affect the magnetic potential?

The shape of the rod can affect the magnetic potential by changing the distribution of current and the distance from the rod. For example, a longer rod will have a lower magnetic potential compared to a shorter rod with the same current.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic potential from a rod?

Magnetic potential from a rod is used in many devices such as electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.