Average Magnetic Field Between 2 Conducting Rods

In summary, the speaker is building a small railgun using copper bars and neodymium magnets. They are also trying to mathematically describe the magnetic field created by the conducting rods, but are facing difficulties in deriving an expression for the average magnetic field across the gap. They have found a website that explains the process, but are still unsure about how it works. The speaker also mentions taking the finite radius of the wires into account and provides an equation for the average magnetic field. They are unsure about the purpose of finding this average field.
Gbl911
I am building small, simple version of a railgun using 2 copper bars and a couple of neodymium magnets to increase the magnetic field. I have also been trying to mathematically describe the magnetic field created by the conducting rods themselves. I am coming across some trouble when trying to derive an expression for the average magnetic field across the entire gap and would like some help.

You can write the magnetic field at anyone point in between the two bars as

(u*I)/(2*pi) * (1/r + 1/(d-r))
where u is mu, d is distance between the bars, I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of one bar to the point of interest.
I assume that I need to compute some form of integral but I'm not sure exactly what to integrate over and how to obtain the average field strength from that.
I found a website that details how they went about it but I still am not sure on why the way they did it works. Here is the link.
https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Railgun

Physics news on Phys.org
You will notice that there is a problem as ## r \rightarrow 0 ##. So you need to take the finite radius of your wires into account.
If you do that the average is ## B_{avg} = ~(2\int_a^{d-a} \mu_0 I/2\pi r~ dr)/(d-2a) ## where ## a ## is the wire radius.
Not sure why you want this but there you go.

1. What is the definition of "Average Magnetic Field Between 2 Conducting Rods"?

The average magnetic field between 2 conducting rods refers to the magnetic field that exists between two parallel, current-carrying rods. This field is created by the flow of electrical current through the rods and is measured in units of Tesla (T).

2. How is the average magnetic field between 2 conducting rods calculated?

The average magnetic field between 2 conducting rods can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2π * d), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the rods, and d is the distance between the rods.

3. What factors affect the average magnetic field between 2 conducting rods?

The average magnetic field between 2 conducting rods is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the current flowing through the rods, the distance between the rods, and the permeability of the medium surrounding the rods.

4. What is the relationship between the average magnetic field and the distance between the rods?

The average magnetic field between 2 conducting rods is inversely proportional to the distance between the rods. This means that as the distance between the rods increases, the average magnetic field decreases, and vice versa.

5. How is the average magnetic field affected by the direction of the current in the conducting rods?

The average magnetic field between 2 conducting rods is directly affected by the direction of the current flowing through the rods. If the current in the rods is in the same direction, the magnetic field will be stronger, whereas if the current is in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be weaker.