Relationship between magnetic potential and current density in Maxwell

In summary, the current density (Jz) in the wire affects the magnetic potential of the surrounding iron core. If the current density is not set to zero, the magnetic potential of the iron core needs to be taken into account.
JH_1870
I am currently studying to solve Maxwell's equations using FEM.

I have a question about Maxwell's equations while studying.

I understood that the magnetic potential becomes ▽^2 Az = -mu_0 Jz when the current flows only in the z-axis.

I also understood the effect of the current flowing in a conductor on the magnetic potential of the surrounding iron core by the Biot-Savar law. However, in the referenced FEM example, the current density (Jz) in the iron core is set to zero.

If the current flows only in the z-axis direction in the wire, it is considered correct that the z-axis current of the iron core is 0.

However, if this is applied as it is, it is understood that only Jz in the wire exists and Jz in the iron core is 0. Therefore, even if the current density of the wire is changed, it is understood that the magnetic potential of the iron core is not affected.

Obviously, the current density flowing in the conductor affects the magnetic potential of the surrounding iron core, but setting Jz of the iron core to 0 creates a contradiction.

Regarding this, I wonder if I have misunderstood the relationship between current density and magnetic potential, or if the method of setting Jz in the iron core to 0 is wrong.

I'm also wondering how to set the current density if the iron core's current density is not set to zero. The url below is my reference.

https://jorgensd.github.io/dolfinx-tutorial/chapter3/em.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether I have a completely definitive answer, but if the iron core develops a magnetization ## \vec{M} ##, you will get a ## J_m=\nabla \times \vec{M} ## that needs to be taken into account, and what goes hand-in-hand with this is the magnetic surface current density per unit length ## \vec{K}_m=\vec{M} \times \hat{n} ## that contributes to the vector potential.

Likes JH_1870 and vanhees71
Charles Link said:
I don't know whether I have a completely definitive answer, but if the iron core develops a magnetization ## \vec{M} ##, you will get a ## J_m=\nabla \times \vec{M} ## that needs to be taken into account, and what goes hand-in-hand with this is the magnetic surface current density per unit length ## \vec{K}_m=\vec{M} \times \hat{n} ## that contributes to the vector potential.
Thanks, the question has been solved.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the relationship between magnetic potential and current density in Maxwell's equations?

The relationship between magnetic potential and current density is described by the Maxwell-Ampere equation, which states that the curl of the magnetic potential is equal to the current density. In other words, the magnetic potential is directly proportional to the current density.

2. How does the magnetic potential affect the behavior of current in a circuit?

The magnetic potential plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of current in a circuit. It is responsible for creating a magnetic field, which in turn affects the movement and direction of current. Changes in the magnetic potential can also induce current in nearby conductors.

3. Can the magnetic potential and current density be measured directly?

No, the magnetic potential and current density cannot be measured directly. They are both theoretical concepts that are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. However, their effects can be measured indirectly through the use of instruments such as Gaussmeters and Ammeters.

4. How does the relationship between magnetic potential and current density impact electromagnetic waves?

The relationship between magnetic potential and current density is essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. The changing magnetic potential creates a changing electric field, which then creates a changing magnetic field, and this process continues, resulting in the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there any practical applications of the relationship between magnetic potential and current density?

Yes, there are several practical applications of the relationship between magnetic potential and current density. It is used in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various electronic devices, such as antennas and circuit boards.