What is the value of the double integral?

In summary: $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^1{ \frac{\left( \sqrt{1 - y^2} \right) ^3}{3} + y^2\,\sqrt{1 - y^2}\,\mathrm{d}y } &= \int_0^1{ \frac{\left( 1 - y^2 \right) \sqrt{1 - y^2} }{3} + y^2 \,\sqrt{1 - y^2}\,\mathrm{d}y } \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \int_0^1{ \left( 1 -
erin
Hi,

I need to evaluate the following double integral. I have tried direct integration but the answer is too complicated for it to be a viable method.

First integral is from 0 to (1-y^2) function is (x^2+y^2)dx.

Second integral is from 0 to 1 dy.

I can't figure out how to use the maths thing on the right.

Cheers,
Erin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
erin said:
Hi,

I need to evaluate the following double integral. I have tried direct integration but the answer is too complicated for it to be a viable method.

Cheers,
Erin

Direct integration works, why do you think it doesn't?

Well obviously if I knew how to do it I wouldn't have posted. Your answer was very helpful. Thank you. I wish I was as smart as you.

erin said:
Hi,

Cheers,
Erin

Hi Erin!

If I understand correctly, you want to evaluate:
$$\int_0^{1-y^2} (x^2+y^2)dx$$
It can be rewritten as:
$$\int_0^{1-y^2} x^2 dx + \int_0^{1-y^2} y^2 dx$$

How far can you get integrating:
$$\int x^2 dx$$
?

erin said:
Hi,

Cheers,
Erin
Wellcome on MHB erin!...

... using the appropriate notation the integral You want to compute is...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1 - y^{2}} (x^{2} + y^{2})\ dx\ dy\ (1)$

... isn't it?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hi chisigma,

yes that is the integral I want to evaluate. Thanks for writing it out properly - are there instructions for how to use the maths symbols somewhere on this forum? I can't find them.

Cheers,
Erin

erin said:
Hi chisigma,

yes that is the integral I want to evaluate. Thanks for writing it out properly - are there instructions for how to use the maths symbols somewhere on this forum? I can't find them.

Cheers,
Erin

You can find aqn excellent tutorial om Latx in...

mathhelpboards.com/latex-help-discussion-26/

... regarding the integral You have first to solve the 'inner integral'...

$\displaystyle f(y) = \int_{0}^{1 - y^{2}} (x^{+2} + y^{2})\ d x\ (1)$

... and then solve the 'outer integral'...

$\displaystyle I= \int_{0}^{1} f(y)\ d y\ (2)$

... are You able to do that?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:

So sorry, the upper limit is the square root, not just 1-y^2.

$\displaystyle f(y) = \int_{0}^{\sqrt{1 - y^{2}}} (x^{+2} + y^{2})\ d x\ (1)$

When doing the inner integral I get:
$\displaystyle I= \int_{0}^{1} ((1/3*(1-y^{2})^{3/2}+\sqrt{(1-y^{2})}*y^{2}) d y\ (1)$

I am having difficulty integrating this part with respect to y.

erin said:
chisigma said:

So sorry, the upper limit is the square root, not just 1-y^2.

$\displaystyle f(y) = \int_{0}^{\sqrt{1 - y^{2}}} (x^{+2} + y^{2})\ d x\ (1)$

When doing the inner integral I get:
$\displaystyle I= \int_{0}^{1} ((1/3*(1-y^{2})^{3/2}+\sqrt{(1-y^{2})}*y^{2}) d y\ (1)$

I am having difficulty integrating this part with respect to y.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^1{ \frac{\left( \sqrt{1 - y^2} \right) ^3}{3} + y^2\,\sqrt{1 - y^2}\,\mathrm{d}y } &= \int_0^1{ \frac{\left( 1 - y^2 \right) \sqrt{1 - y^2} }{3} + y^2 \,\sqrt{1 - y^2}\,\mathrm{d}y } \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \int_0^1{ \left( 1 - y^2 \right) \sqrt{1 - y^2} + 3y^2 \,\sqrt{1 - y^2}\,\mathrm{d}y } \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \int_0^1{ \sqrt{1 - y^2} - y^2\,\sqrt{1 - y^2} + 3y^2\,\sqrt{1 - y^2} \,\mathrm{d}y } \\ &= \int_0^1{ \sqrt{1-y^2} + 2y^2\,\sqrt{1-y^2}\,\mathrm{d}y } \end{align*}$

Now to continue you will need to make the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \sin{(\theta )} \implies \mathrm{d}y = \cos{(\theta )} \,\mathrm{d}\theta \end{align*}$.

Related to What is the value of the double integral?

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional surface or volume under a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the plane or space.

How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated by first setting up the limits of integration for both variables and then computing the integral using the appropriate integration techniques, such as Fubini's theorem, iterated integration, or change of variables.

What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral?

The purpose of evaluating a double integral is to calculate the area or volume of a region in the plane or space, given a function that describes its boundaries. It is a useful tool in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of a two or three-dimensional object. They are also used in economics to calculate production and consumption quantities, and in statistics to calculate probabilities and expected values.

How do I know if I have set up the limits of integration correctly?

The best way to check if the limits of integration are correct is to graph the region in the plane or space and make sure the limits correspond to the boundaries of the region. Additionally, you can also check if the limits follow the order of integration, which is typically from the inside-out.