Integration by parts of inverse sine, a solved exercise, some doubts...

mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
There are steps I would like to understand, or, better said, share, check out.
Hi, PF, here goes an easy integral, meant to be an example of integration by parts.

Use integration by parts to evaluate
##\int \sin^{-1}x \, dx##

Let ##U=\sin^{-1}x,\quad{dV=dx}##
Then ##dU=dx/\sqrt{1-x^2},\quad{V=x}##

##=x\sin^{-1}x-\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2} \, dx}##

Let ##u=1-x^2##,
##du=-2xdx##

##=x\sin^{-1}x+\frac{1}{2}\int u^{-1/2} \, du##
##=x\sin^{-1}x+u^{1/2}+C##
##=x\sin^{-1}x+\sqrt{1-x^2}+C##
Last substitution steps are where I need some clue: specifically understanding how, passed the first step, i.e, integration by parts, second integral is solved.

Attempt:
Second integral, ##\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx##, is not integration by parts, but the substitution method. If so, I will outline it:

##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\cdot x##, which suits the circumstances to evaluate by the substitution method they way it does.

Greetings!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After letting ##u=1-x^2##, we have that ##\frac{du}{-2x}=dx##. Substituting this into the second integral, we get that it is equivalent to $$-\frac12\int u^{-1/2}du$$. Using power rule and replacing the definition of ##u##, we get the result.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes mcastillo356 and PeroK
mathhabibi said:
After letting ##u=1-x^2##, we have that ##\frac{du}{-2x}=dx##. Substituting this into the second integral, we get that it is equivalent to ##-\frac12\int u^{-1/2}du##. Using power rule and replacing the definition of ##u##, we get the result.
Hi, @mathhabibi, you mean power rule for integration?.
By the way, how is it to display a bigger and elegant indefinite integal?
Thanks!

mcastillo356 said:
Hi, @mathhabibi, you mean power rule for integration?.
Yes.
mcastillo356 said:
By the way, how is it to display a bigger and elegant indefinite integal?
He used standalone (i.e. $$) tex delimiters rather than inline (##).

Likes mcastillo356
Hi, PF
mathhabibi said:
After letting ##u=1-x^2##, we have that ##\frac{du}{-2x}=dx##. Substituting this into the second integral, we get that it is equivalent to $$-\frac12\int u^{-1/2}du$$.
$$-\int {\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx}\Leftrightarrow{\frac{1}{2}\int u^{-1/2}\,du}$$
mathhabibi said:
Using power rule and replacing the definition of ##u##, we get the result.
$$\frac{1}{2}\int u^{-1/2}\,du$$
Applying the Power Rule for integration
$$=\frac{1}{2}\int {u^{-1/2}\,du}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot{\frac{u^{1/2}}{1/2}}+C=u^{1/2}+C$$
Replacing,
$$u=1-x^2\Rightarrow{u^{1/2}=\sqrt{1-x^2}}$$

Greetings!

1. How do you integrate inverse sine using integration by parts?

To integrate inverse sine using integration by parts, you can let u = inverse sine function and dv = dx. Then, differentiate u and integrate dv to find du and v respectively. Finally, apply the integration by parts formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.

2. Can you provide a step-by-step solution to a solved exercise involving integration by parts of inverse sine?

Sure! Let's consider the integral ∫inverse sine(x) dx. By applying integration by parts with u = inverse sine(x) and dv = dx, we get du = 1/√(1-x^2) dx and v = x. Therefore, the integral becomes x * inverse sine(x) - ∫x/(√(1-x^2)) dx. This new integral can be solved using a trigonometric substitution.

3. What are some common doubts when dealing with integration by parts of inverse sine?

Some common doubts include confusion with the choice of u and dv, difficulties in finding du and v, and challenges in simplifying the resulting integral after applying integration by parts.

4. How can I practice more exercises involving integration by parts of inverse sine?

You can practice more exercises by looking for integration problems involving inverse sine in textbooks, online resources, or creating your own exercises. It's important to understand the concept and practice regularly to improve your skills.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for mastering integration by parts of inverse sine?

Some tips for mastering integration by parts of inverse sine include practicing regularly, understanding the integration by parts formula thoroughly, and seeking help from textbooks, online resources, or instructors when needed. Additionally, breaking down complex problems into smaller steps can make the process more manageable.