What is the relationship between the Doppler effect and the Hubble red shift?

• Thread starter Planter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Radio
In summary: Just to complete this learning module, please do a quick search on the Hubble Red Shift (at wikipedia or elsewhere). Do you see the theme?
Planter

Homework Statement

The car is approaching a radio station at 25m/s. Broadcast frequency is 74.5 MHz.

What change in frequency does the driver observe.

Homework Equations

Doppler effect on EM waves

Fo = Fs (1 (+/-) u/c)

u = speed of observer

c = speed of light

The Attempt at a Solution

Got it ,, answer is 62.08 Hz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Planter said:

Homework Statement

The car is approaching a radio station at 25m/s. Broadcast frequency is 74.5 MHz.

What change in frequency does the driver observe.

Homework Equations

I really don't know. The answers should be between chapters 26-29 of the Serway book.

But I am drawing a blank. "clearly not the doppler effect" right?

The Attempt at a Solution

Reading doppler effect right now.

Definitely the Doppler Effect. Keep on reading a bit, and you'll see it addressed. Show us what you get for an answer!

berkeman said:
Definitely the Doppler Effect. Keep on reading a bit, and you'll see it addressed. Show us what you get for an answer!

Are you sure? Because doppler effect was taught "last semester" in part one of this class. Which is why I am weary of using it... It's not sound frequency i don't think.

Planter said:
Are you sure? Because doppler effect was taught "last semester" in part one of this class. Which is why I am weary of using it... It's not sound frequency i don't think.

Well, what is the Doppler Effect (define it in your own words -- don't look up the definition yet)?

And, what would be different if the source was a stationary whistle, instead of a radio station? What would be the same?

berkeman said:
Well, what is the Doppler Effect (define it in your own words -- don't look up the definition yet)?

And, what would be different if the source was a stationary whistle, instead of a radio station? What would be the same?

The frequency is in MHz.. Would a doppler effect question be in MHz??

Ok, I got it.. Found it,, haha Doppler effect on EM waves, Chapter 21.13... Thank god for PDF books. I was only searching in chapters 26+ because all the questions prior to this one was pertaining.

Planter said:
Ok, I got it.. Found it,, haha Doppler effect on EM waves, Chapter 21.13... Thank god for PDF books. I was only searching in chapters 26+ because all the questions prior to this one was pertaining.

Just to complete this learning module, please do a quick search on the Hubble Red Shift (at wikipedia or elsewhere). Do you see the theme?

Related to What is the relationship between the Doppler effect and the Hubble red shift?

1. How does a car approaching a radio station affect the radio signal?

As a car approaches a radio station, its metal body can act as a reflector and cause interference with the radio signal. This can result in static or loss of reception. Additionally, the car's engine and electrical systems can also emit electromagnetic interference, further affecting the radio signal.

2. Why does my car radio sometimes switch stations or lose reception when I'm driving?

As you drive, your car is constantly moving and changing its position in relation to the radio station's transmitter. This can cause fluctuations in the radio signal, resulting in the radio switching stations or losing reception.

3. Can a car's speed affect the radio signal?

Yes, a car's speed can affect the radio signal. As a car moves faster, it can experience more interference from the environment, such as buildings, trees, and other vehicles. This can cause disruptions in the radio signal and affect reception.

4. Does the type of car I drive affect the radio signal?

In general, the type of car you drive should not have a significant impact on the radio signal. However, certain cars with larger metal bodies or older electrical systems may produce more interference and affect the radio signal.

5. How can I improve my car's radio reception?

There are a few things you can do to improve your car's radio reception. These include installing an external antenna, keeping your car's engine well-maintained to reduce interference, and avoiding driving near large buildings or other potential sources of interference. You can also try adjusting the antenna or changing the radio's frequency to see if that improves reception.