What is the method for solving a steel pipe around a hallway?

• Thread starter whoareyou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Steel
In summary, the equation -6cscθ + 9secθ can be used to solve the question, but the resulting theta values do not equate to the answer.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

0tBzblE.png

hBWBwO3.png

Homework Equations

Trigonometric identities and differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

It's pretty simple to solve this question when the hallway is a right angle.

G3GFWTB.jpg

Differentiating -6cscθ + 9secθ and setting it equal to zero and solving will yield the proper answer. But I don't know if the same method can be applied for this question? How would I start to solve this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
The same method can, but not using the same function obviously. Do you understand where the equation -6cscθ + 9secθ comes from geometrically? The same geometric argument can construct a function for this other hallway that you need to minimize

For the right-angle turn, you look at the part of the pipe in each hallway, and add them together. So cosθ = 9/L1 and -sinθ = 6/L2. You can make similar triangles in the hallway of question, but I don't think θ is can be used as the angle for both triangles. And how does the pi/4 play a part in this?

whoareyou said:
For the right-angle turn, you look at the part of the pipe in each hallway, and add them together. So cosθ = 9/L1 and -sinθ = 6/L2. You can make similar triangles in the hallway of question, but I don't think θ is can be used as the angle for both triangles. And how does the pi/4 play a part in this?

Let θ be the angle that the pipe makes with the 12 foot hallway's wall. You'll have to do a little geometry (not much, just tracking some angles) to find out what angle the pipe makes with the 8 foot hallway's wall, then set up a similar equation to calculate how long the pipe is. The fact that we have an extra pi/4 angle is just going to change what the relationship between the angle with the 12 foot wall and the angle with the 8 foot wall are related

So this is what I came up with,

CvC6bLS.png

but the resulting theta values do not equate to the answer, which is 51.7762 ft.

Adding up all the angles on one half of the red line on the right should give me a total of [itex] \pi [/itex]. But on the right half of the line you have
[tex]\pi/4 + \pi/4+\pi/4+\pi/4+\theta+\pi/2-\theta = 3\pi/2[/tex]

So you have to double check those

Got it! It was θ - π/4 for the second triangle. Thanks :).

Related to What is the method for solving a steel pipe around a hallway?

1. What is the purpose of a steel pipe around a hallway?

A steel pipe around a hallway is commonly used as a handrail for support and safety, especially in areas with stairs or steep inclines.

2. How is a steel pipe around a hallway installed?

The steel pipe is typically installed by attaching it to the wall with brackets or by welding it to a metal frame. It is important to ensure that the pipe is securely fastened to prevent accidents.

3. What are the benefits of using a steel pipe around a hallway?

Aside from providing support and safety, a steel pipe around a hallway is durable and can withstand heavy use. It also adds a sleek and modern look to the hallway.

4. Can a steel pipe around a hallway be used outdoors?

Yes, a steel pipe around a hallway can be used outdoors as long as it is made from weather-resistant materials and properly installed. It is important to regularly check for any rust or damage caused by exposure to the elements.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for installing a steel pipe around a hallway?

Yes, building codes and safety regulations may vary depending on the location and purpose of the hallway. It is important to consult with a professional or local authorities to ensure that the installation meets all necessary requirements.