Method of Frobenius and indicial equations

In summary, the person is trying to solve a differential equation using the Frobenius method and has the original equation of: 2x^2y''-xy'+(x^2+1)y=0. They are having difficulty combining two sums and are looking for help. The indicial equation comes from the terms x^0 and x^2. If help is not found, they are confident they can solve the equation.
BrettJimison

Homework Statement

Hello all,

I have a quick question,
I'm solving a d.e using the Frobenius method and I have the indicial equation:

C1(2r-1)(r-1)+C2x(r)(2r+1)=0

Where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants not equal to zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, what are the roots? Previously I had only one constant and I would just leave it out since it's not equal to zero. Know that I have 2 constants can I just get rid of both of them? I need to solve for the r that makes the above statement true. Any help? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My confusion is this: the c1 and c2 are not necessarily equal to each other, so I can't just factor them out. Before I had indicial eqns of the form c1(r)(r-2)=0 or something similar and it's easy to see the roots are 0 and 2. Now I have two terms tied up with two different constants...

Where did "C1" and "C2" come from originally? What is the differential equation you are trying to solve?

HallsofIvy said:
Where did "C1" and "C2" come from originally? What is the differential equation you are trying to solve?
The original equation is: 2x^2y''-xy'+(x^2+1)y=0

It's kind of a bear to solve. Basically after a bunch of work plugging in the y and its derivatives I need to combine two sums. One starts at x^0 and the other starts at x^2 so I have to pick off two terms from the first sum to combine them. The indicial equation comes from these two terms. If you could help that would be awesome! This is due tomorrow and I have been trying/talking to a lot of people and n
No one seems to know how to solve it.

I did try just solving for r by setting the first part equal to 0 and the second part equal to 0x ( equating common terms) and then adding the two...I get r=1+sqrt(3)i and r= 1-sqrt(3)i...

Update: I found r to be 1+/- sqrt (5). think I'm good now..

Related to Method of Frobenius and indicial equations

1. What is the Method of Frobenius?

The Method of Frobenius is a technique used to solve differential equations with variable coefficients. It involves assuming a series solution to the differential equation and then using algebraic manipulation to determine the coefficients of the series.

2. How is the Method of Frobenius different from other methods of solving differential equations?

The Method of Frobenius is unique because it allows for the solution of differential equations with variable coefficients, which cannot be solved using other traditional methods such as separation of variables or variation of parameters.

3. What are indicial equations?

Indicial equations are equations that are used to determine the values of the arbitrary constants in the series solution of a differential equation. They are derived by substituting the assumed series solution into the differential equation and equating coefficients of like powers of the independent variable.

4. When is the Method of Frobenius typically used?

The Method of Frobenius is typically used when solving differential equations with variable coefficients, such as those that arise in physics and engineering problems involving non-constant forces or parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Method of Frobenius?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Method of Frobenius. It can only be applied to differential equations with regular singular points, meaning that the coefficients of the highest order derivative must be analytic at the point of interest. Additionally, the series solution obtained may not converge for all values of the independent variable, so the solution should be checked for convergence.