When can using a logarithm make solving an equation easier?

In summary, the conversation discussed a physics problem involving a small weight hung on a steel wire and the change in oscillation time due to a temperature increase. The official solution used logarithmic differentiation, which the person found frustrating and questioned its logic and applicability. Another person explained that it is a faster method called logarithmic differentiation, but the answer should be the same regardless.
bolzano95

Homework Statement

Well, there is a physics problem I was solving and it is really interesting how it is officially solved.

We take a small weight and hang it on a steel wire. For how much does the oscillation time change if the temperature of this wire raises for 10K?

I looked up solution and it is solved like this:

Homework Equations

The weight on the steel wire is like a mathematical pendulum.
Therefore ##t_0 = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}##. Now logarithm and differentiate:
## ln {t_0} = ln {2\pi} + 1/2 ln {L} -1/2 ln{g}## and after differentiation
##\frac{dt_0}{t_0}= \frac{1}{2} \frac{dL}{L}##.

Because of the temperature change ##dt## the steel wire is longer for ##dL =\alpha L dT##.
The relative change of oscillation time is then ## \frac{dt_0}{t_0}= \frac{1}{2} \alpha dT##.

The Attempt at a Solution

In my solution process there was nothing of logarithms or differentiation. Of course my result was also false. But I am not interested in where I did a mistake, there is more important question her:

What is this special new solving approach? It is the first time I see solving it and it frustrates me, because I don't understand the logic behind it.
When can I use it in the future? Also from where does it come?
P.S Even in my wildest dreams I would not use this solving method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's only a quick way to get the fractional change of variable ##x## which is ##\frac{dx}{x}##. You could have obtained the same result by plain differentiation.

For example in this case you would do $$dt_0=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{g}}\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}dL$$Then divide by ##t_0## or multiply by ##t_0^{-1} ~## to get$$\frac{dt_0}{t_0}=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{g}}\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}dL\times \frac{\sqrt{g}}{2\pi\sqrt{L}}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{dL}{L}.$$

For whatever it's worth, this is the first time I see the logarithmic method for doing this. If it's confusing you, don't use it.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
There is a technique called Logarithmic differentiation, which is applied here. It sometimes leads to answer faster as in this case. Of course the answer should be same regardless of whether it is used or not.

Related to When can using a logarithm make solving an equation easier?

1. What is a logarithm and how does it make solving equations easier?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation, meaning it helps us find the exponent in an exponential equation. This can make solving equations easier because logarithms can simplify large numbers and make them more manageable, and they can also transform exponential equations into linear equations.

2. When should I use a logarithm to solve an equation?

You should use a logarithm when the equation includes an exponential term, such as xn. In these cases, taking the logarithm of both sides can help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve for x.

3. What are some common mistakes when using logarithms to solve equations?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the logarithm to both sides of the equation. Another mistake is using the wrong base for the logarithm, as different bases will yield different solutions. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, as logarithms can introduce them.

4. Can logarithms be used to solve any type of equation?

No, logarithms can only be used to solve equations with exponential terms. They cannot be used to solve linear equations, quadratic equations, or equations with other types of terms.

5. Are there any other applications of logarithms besides solving equations?

Yes, logarithms have many other applications in mathematics and science. They are used in finance to calculate compound interest, in chemistry to measure pH levels, and in biology to analyze population growth. They also have applications in computer science, signal processing, and many other fields.