What is the formula for calculating the lifetime of a star?

In summary, the equation for calculating the lifetime of a star is k*m/l, where k is a constant, m is the mass of the star, and l is the star's luminosity. Using this equation, it can be determined that a star with 24 solar masses and 300,000 times the luminosity of the sun will have a lifetime of approximately 800,000 years. The equation is derived from the fact that a star with 24 solar masses has 24 times the fuel of the sun, and a star 300,000 times as luminous is burning its fuel at a much faster rate than the sun.
Johnboy

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the lifetime of a star that is 300,000 times as luminous as the sun and 24 solar masses.

Homework Equations

lifetime = k * m/l

The Attempt at a Solution

lifetime = 10^10 * (24/300000)
lifetime = 800000 years

I feel as if this is almost too easy and am wondering if I have made an error along the way. In addition, I found this equation on the internet and don't really understand how it works despite knowing (or thinking I know) how to use it. I was hoping someone could explain it to me and if I am wrong, someone could point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

John

Physics news on Phys.org
1)The lifetime of the sun is about 10 billion years - this is the 10^10 in your equation.
2) A star with 24 solar masses has 24 times as much fuel as the sun.
3) A star 300,000 times as luminous as the sun is burning its fuel 300,000 times faster than the sun.

This gives the equation in your post. Does this answer it?

Related to What is the formula for calculating the lifetime of a star?

1. What is the purpose of studying stellar lifetime methods?

The purpose of studying stellar lifetime methods is to understand how stars evolve and how long they will remain in each stage of their life cycle. This information can help us predict the future of our own Sun and other stars in the universe.

2. What are the different methods used to determine the lifetime of a star?

The main methods used to determine the lifetime of a star include observations of the star's brightness and temperature, studying its chemical composition, and analyzing its internal structure through techniques such as helioseismology.

3. Why is it difficult to accurately predict the lifetime of a star?

Stellar lifetime is influenced by many factors such as mass, composition, and nuclear reactions, making it challenging to accurately predict the exact lifespan of a star. Additionally, our understanding of these processes is still evolving, making it difficult to make precise calculations.

4. How do scientists use stellar lifetime methods to study the evolution of stars?

By studying the lifetime of stars, scientists can classify them into different types and understand how they evolve over time. This can also help us understand the role of stars in the formation of galaxies and the overall structure of the universe.

5. Can stellar lifetime methods be used to predict the fate of our Sun?

Yes, using stellar lifetime methods, scientists have predicted that our Sun will continue to fuse hydrogen into helium for about 5 billion more years before it becomes a red giant, expanding and consuming the inner planets, including Earth. It will then eventually become a white dwarf and slowly cool down over billions of years.